Author Topic: ESD from kneeling on EVA roll mat whilst soldering electronics?  (Read 1091 times)

Offline FaringdonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Hi,
My lab tables are only 75cm high. I solder on these. I need to loupe (eyeglass)  down to the PCB when soldering as the components are small.....as such, i cannot sit on a chair, i have to kneel at the table....the floor is wood, and due to knee pain, i have put down a foam roll mat made of Ethylene-Vinyl Acetate (EVA)...

Roll mat of EVA
https://groceries.asda.com/product/camping-essentials/ozark-camping-mat/910002223736

This doc suggests that ESD footwear needs an "ESD plug" if using  EVA soles...
https://www.pls-shop.co.uk/anti-static-and-esd-explained/

So do you think that EVA is ESD generative?

I am wearing a wrist strap (earthed) and the PCB is on an ESD mat which is ESD earth plugged to earth....but will i zap the components?

I presume putting a conductive ESD mat (as attached) on top of the  EVA roll mat will solve the problem, or make it less of a problem? This black ESD mat doesnt have poppers, so i cant connect it to earth.....i am still waiting for the poppers and "popper tool" to come through the couriers.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 06:01:53 pm by Faringdon »
'Perfection' is the enemy of 'perfectly satisfactory'

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: ESD from kneeling on EVA roll mat whilst soldering electronics?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 05:51:45 pm »
 :palm:

Maybe you should have tacked this little gem onto the end of your other wooden floor ESD thread...  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/manufacture/spraying-wooden-floor-with-water-to-reduce-esd-damage/ The static properties of some random Asda camping mat are hardly worthy of a thread.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 06:31:53 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: Kean, tooki, Faringdon

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 03:04:21 pm »
I presume putting a conductive ESD mat (as attached) on top of the  EVA roll mat will solve the problem, or make it less of a problem? This black ESD mat doesnt have poppers, so i cant connect it to earth.....i am still waiting for the poppers and "popper tool" to come through the couriers.
I don’t recommend using flammable sex-enhancing substances to try and attach the earth lead.  ;D  Snap fasteners are much more common, but until you have those, just use an alligator clip to grab the edge.

And yes, put the ESD mat on top of the camping mat. But a much better solution is a proper ESD-safe anti-fatigue (cushioned) floor mat.

The following users thanked this post: Faringdon

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 07:52:40 pm »
Alternatively, spray the mat and your trousers with water, or some other ionic solution.
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: Faringdon

Online Roehrenonkel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 08:05:41 pm »
Hi,

Hi,
My lab tables are only 75cm high. I solder on these. I need to loupe (eyeglass)  down to the PCB when soldering as the components are small.....as such, i cannot sit on a chair, i have to kneel at the table....
Please attach a picture, i have to see this.... ;-))

The following users thanked this post: Kean, Faringdon

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf