Electronics > Manufacturing & Assembly

failed T-962A

(1/2) > >>

djacobow:

On my recommendation, a friend bought a T-962A reflow oven, and it failed on the second run. Made a long beep and then no heat after that.

I've had the same unit for a couple of years and though I'm not thrilled with the box, it works and I've not had a problem like this.

On his unit, the control board seems to function. The screen, buttons, and temp sensing are all working. When he starts it the "lamp" light comes on, but not actual heat.

I'm suspecting that either there is a wiring fault, SSR fault, or maybe an open in one of the quartz elements. Unfortunately, I can't easily visit him to help him debug it. He's not thrilled about poking around on AC stuff, either.

Has anyone else seen T-962 failures and might have a strong suspicion about what needs changing?

jpanhalt:
I have a T962 (small tray) that I updated with the United Engineering software (see here: https://github.com/EccentricWkshp/T-962-improvements) before actually using it.  Is yours or your friend's updated?  I assume neither.

I have not had any failures, nor have I read about anything like you describe. I concur with your suspicions. You might limit the possibilities by disconnecting one of your quartz heaters and see whether that duplicates the symptoms.

IanJ:
For info, Estechnical.co.uk do an upgrade kit for the T962A which I fitted on my one.....quite a lot better than the original control hardware.
Might be an opportunity to upgrade.

djacobow:

--- Quote from: jpanhalt on June 10, 2021, 10:41:30 pm ---I have a T962 (small tray) that I updated with the United Engineering software (see here: https://github.com/EccentricWkshp/T-962-improvements) before actually using it.  Is yours or your friend's updated?  I assume neither.

I have not had any failures, nor have I read about anything like you describe. I concur with your suspicions. You might limit the possibilities by disconnecting one of your quartz heaters and see whether that duplicates the symptoms.

--- End quote ---

My oven has the Unified Engineering fw, his does not. He wanted to try it for awhile with the stock firmware so he could better understand why he doesn't want it.

I also did all the other "regular" changes: cold junction compensation, replacing masking tape with kapton, removing paint for ground. He hadn't yet done any of that.

But anyway, the think isn't powering up the heaters at all, so I don't think fw is at issue.

djacobow:

--- Quote from: IanJ on June 10, 2021, 10:43:28 pm ---For info, Estechnical.co.uk do an upgrade kit for the T962A which I fitted on my one.....quite a lot better than the original control hardware.
Might be an opportunity to upgrade.

--- End quote ---

I was looking at that. Certainly, it makes sense if his controller board has failed. I strongly suspect cracked quartz element(s) or broken SSR. But I need to get my hands on it to find out. He's a few hundred miles away, so it'll be awhile before I can visit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version