Author Topic: STM / ST nothing in stock?  (Read 5247 times)

Offline nuclearcatTopic starter

• Supporter
STM / ST nothing in stock?
« on: February 20, 2021, 05:28:07 pm »
I'm checking distributors, and STM32G0 STM32F0 and many other common MCUs 0 in stock.
Anybody know what is happening?
Some gossips saying that at end of 2020 ST factory with warehouse was burned. And WS confirm that:
One-off factors have also intensified the problem. Recent strikes at STMicroelectronics ’ French sites and a fire at an Asahi Kasei Microdevices factory in Nobeoka, Japan, have disrupted their chip deliveries. The two companies are among Chinese auto makers’ top suppliers.
I wonder how much time it will take to recover?

Online wraper

• Supporter
Re: STM / ST nothing in stock?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 05:31:32 pm »
Some gossips saying that at end of 2020 ST factory with warehouse was burned. And WS confirm that:
What burned down AKM factory has to do with ST?

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 06:04:14 pm »
What burned down AKM factory has to do with ST?
Seems nothing, they was just mentioned together in WSJ:
Recent strikes at STMicroelectronics ’ French sites and a fire at an Asahi Kasei Microdevices factory in Nobeoka, Japan, have disrupted their chip deliveries. The two companies are among Chinese auto makers’ top suppliers.
While they also say:
“Our operations in Crolles have been and continue to run on nominal values with no supply-chain impacts,” a STMicroelectronics spokesperson said.
I was reading history of chats in professional groups, and gossips were initially about some fire in China, but i cannot find anything in news.

But what is that then? Panic buying and things will go back on track soon?
I am trying to understand how long this shortage might take, and considering moving short projects to different MCUs.

Offline Mecanix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 10:42:10 pm »
No shortage whatsoever, apart from the G0's 64kb QFN28 being the hot-cake and selling rather quickly normally, but other than that they're all there and plenty stocked and available all over the place.
Those H7, WB, L0 etc etc the whole pop lot is also full in stocks...

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 11:04:07 pm »
I'm checking distributors, and STM32G0 STM32F0 and many other common MCUs 0 in stock.
Anybody know what is happening?
One-off factors have also intensified the problem. Recent strikes at STMicroelectronics ’ French sites and a fire at an Asahi Kasei Microdevices factory in Nobeoka, Japan, have disrupted their chip deliveries. The two companies are among Chinese auto makers’ top suppliers.
I wonder how much time it will take to recover?
2021 is happening. There is a chip shortage. Mercedes and BMW has to shut down production lines, because they don't have enough ICs. Strap in for the ride, and enjoy the longer vacation, while you are waiting for the prototypes to arrive lead times.

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 01:38:09 am »
No shortage whatsoever, apart from the G0's 64kb QFN28 being the hot-cake and selling rather quickly normally, but other than that they're all there and plenty stocked and available all over the place.

I think you're wrong...
And sorry for my English.

Offline Mecanix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 02:50:00 am »
I think you're wrong...

Am I? Place your order in any ST's Series/parts here on EEVb and I'll drop-ship this over to you. Reels, bulk, trays... no premium, no over-head.
Happy to help if anyone is struggling.

ps. think there's 14.5tons of those parts stocked in Asia, its all over the Internet. Where problem?!

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 03:08:00 am »
Check STM32F030, most of models are zeroes at main distributors.
STM32G031 G030, especially LQFP and SO packages also very scarce.

Offline Mecanix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 03:22:09 am »

e.g. my supplier here
Qty503 of STM32F030CCT6 LQFP-48 ARM Cortex-M0 32 (Picked on this package cuz its the lowest stock/part I've found)
Have literally unlimited amount of STM32G031G8U6 UFQFPN-28 (qty50,485 in stock). STM32G031C8T6 (LQFP) qty17855
For a STM32G030K6T6 (qty13,760)

Depending on the package/pin count you need I'm happy to help out if really you are that struggling man.
*Shenzhen distributors*
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 03:25:36 am by Mecanix »

The following users thanked this post: nuclearcat

Offline Mecanix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 03:29:36 am »
ST parts aside, which are everywhere, I do however recognize that there is an IC supply-chain blockage between continents, particularly in Europe and North-America. This is not only affecting the semiconductor industry but pretty much all of them. The demand for consumer electronics, especially personal computing and comm was gigantic and still is today due to the new.work.at.home normal and ways of doing business. That exponential growth and demand took IC manufacturers by surprise really, is what I've understood.

Additionally, I believe there is also a political blockage above all, which effectively makes the IC shortage situation "as per request". Yet again this problem affects Europe and N-America mainly. Guessing this is what happen when baseless public & official accusations on security concerns are utilized for political propaganda campaigns and for short term gains.

Consumer electronic manufacturers all across Asia aren't complaining of shortage, on the contrary lol

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2021, 03:40:04 am »
ST parts aside, which are everywhere, I do however recognize that there is an IC supply-chain blockage between continents, particularly in Europe and North-America. This is not only affecting the semiconductor industry but pretty much all of them. The demand for consumer electronics, especially personal computing and comm was gigantic and still is today due to the new.work.at.home normal and ways of doing business. That exponential growth and demand took IC manufacturers by surprise really, is what I've understood.

Additionally, I believe there is also a political blockage above all, which effectively makes the IC shortage situation "as per request". Yet again this problem affects Europe and N-America mainly. Guessing this is what happen when baseless public & official accusations on security concerns are utilized for political propaganda campaigns and for short term gains.

Consumer electronic manufacturers all across Asia aren't complaining of shortage, on the contrary lol
If it's as you say - thank you very much, thats big relief!

The following users thanked this post: Mecanix

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 10:41:19 am »

e.g. my supplier here
Qty503 of STM32F030CCT6 LQFP-48 ARM Cortex-M0 32 (Picked on this package cuz its the lowest stock/part I've found)
Have literally unlimited amount of STM32G031G8U6 UFQFPN-28 (qty50,485 in stock). STM32G031C8T6 (LQFP) qty17855
For a STM32G030K6T6 (qty13,760)

Depending on the package/pin count you need I'm happy to help out if really you are that struggling man.
*Shenzhen distributors*

I do not know what country you are talking about. If this is China, then there are doubts about the reliability of these distributors. Perhaps it is the buyers who created the deficit artificially.

I requested the LCSC model I needed STM32F103VET6 and was informed about the possibility of delivery, but the price is 2 times more expensive. In my opinion, LCSC is the only Chinese supplier that is trustworthy.

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2021, 10:52:17 am »
In 2019 and early last year, I bought the STM32F103VCT6 for $2.5, now they offer it for $11 - this is pure fraud!

I'm starting to hate this "free market", I want to go back to the USSR.  |O

The following users thanked this post: nuclearcat

Offline Mecanix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2021, 01:36:14 am »
I do not know what country you are talking about. If this is China, then there are doubts about the reliability of these distributors. Perhaps it is the buyers who created the deficit artificially.

The FUD is a tool of politicians and engineered for believers, nothing else, and certainly has nothing to do with buyers/sellers or EE, at all in fact. Apples and oranges.

It is common practice to request both options at the distributor level, as both of those options are kindly & generously offered. I'm talking about genuine parts and the less-than-genuine affordable ones. Distributors are 100% transparent when asked nowadays and will provide prices for both options. Those distributors/vendors who are more involved will let you know what part of the logic and/or architecture is disabled or faulty shall your goal be to save cost on large qty manufacturing. (you get what you pay for).

From my experience in this region and in that part sourcing business, this doesn't affect the STM32 parts much, but more the common hobbyist & thinker chips rather (Arduino/Atmel/Microchip particularly). You need to be very lucky to find non-genuine ST parts... shall your goal be to save cost (good luck with that). Most if not all of those STM32 are meant to actually manufacture products that performs, and therefore the demand and market for non-genuine parts is practically none :/

I'm not familiar with LCSC nor had any dealings therefore I'll omit commenting. I might have a look one day. Heard JLC assemble boards with their parts, which is pretty cool service, I think...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 01:38:53 am by Mecanix »

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2021, 02:24:27 am »
From my experience in this region and in that part sourcing business, this doesn't affect the STM32 parts much, but more the common hobbyist & thinker chips rather (Arduino/Atmel/Microchip particularly). You need to be very lucky to find non-genuine ST parts... shall your goal be to save cost (good luck with that). Most if not all of those STM32 are meant to actually manufacture products that performs, and therefore the demand and market for non-genuine parts is practically none :/
There are plenty of STM32 clones, at least from 5 companies. Example https://lcsc.com/search?q=cks32 And a lot of relabeled chips in the wild. Most of blue pill come with counterfeit MCU.
more the common hobbyist & thinker chips rather (Arduino/Atmel/Microchip particularly)
These are barely cloned on other hand.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 02:28:09 am by wraper »

Offline Mecanix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2021, 03:16:34 am »
I am obviously making reference to sourcing stocks for production as per OP's concerns and question, and not necessarily talking about sourcing eToys out of scam ecommerce sites e.g. ebay and amazon, where questionable independents (from all over the place) do not disclose parts' true origins, and from which you can end up with pretty much anything really.

Talking about serious "distributors" with qty, and where stocks aren't an issue whatsoever. Shenzhen, that's right. There are plenty of them, some better than others regarding pricing-vs-quantity of course but all in all, I can't see this generic FUD being an impediment to ST parts and product manufacturing in any ways.

I always received my ST parts in sealed (and genuine) packages, neither recall being passed on non-genuine or clone parts as I've never really specifically asked or paid for it at the first place.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2021, 03:40:39 am »
Comedian Arsenio Hall used to have a segment in his shows called "Things that make you go Hmmmmm..."

When I see a product that is not manufactured in China become unavailable in almost every American and European distributor yet there's plenty of stock in Shenzhen, it makes me go "Hmmmmm...."

A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: Mecanix

Offline Mecanix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2021, 03:49:39 am »
lol, yep! Am on site (Shanghai), and so is the manufacturing floor, machines and staffers. Been down to Shenzhen more than enough to source hardware (not only ST parts) and seen rather significant sized warehouses filled with wtf aka hmmm moments too. They like to buy in pretty large qty and at adjusted pricing, and re-sell to you for dbl ;-) It is what it is... what do you want me to do...

Have fun.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 04:00:07 am by Mecanix »

Offline jakratinni

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2022, 03:12:42 pm »
Over year later.... still no chips in big disctributors...
I find it strange. I see that the chip I use (STM32L4R5ZIT6P, $22+) is "on order" in a distributor in the quantity of few hundred.
Meanwhile, checking chinese sellers I easily get offers and in stock messages for hundreds... price is never under $100 a piece!

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2022, 04:13:03 pm »
I find it strange. I see that the chip I use (STM32L4R5ZIT6P, $22+) is "on order" in a distributor in the quantity of few hundred.
Meanwhile, checking chinese sellers I easily get offers and in stock messages for hundreds... price is never under $100 a piece!

I use GD32 - they are available. Already a year of experience, I have not found any problems.
In the same way, I use the russian MCU and switch to it completely, but this is irrelevant for you.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2022, 11:34:08 pm »

Its a very niche IC that doesn't seem to be widely used, probably low on the list of stuff to manufacture.
If you are lucky there is another ST part with a compatible footprint and good enough spec. Otherwise, respin.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf