Electronics > Manufacturing & Assembly

Has anyone potted something like a Raspberry Pi 4

(1/2) > >>

e100:
The newer models dissipate up to 5 watts so I was wondering if potting would result in overheating problems.

I was planning on using a soft re-entrant silicone gel (https://docs.rs-online.com/532a/0900766b80e0bed4.pdf) with glass beads or sand as a filler to reduce the amount of gel required.

The WiFi module and antenna are on the main board so presumably the performance will be affected to some degree.

48X24X48X:
While working on some ATEX products recently, resin will help to dissipate the heat better.

Mr.B:
In my experience, potting compounds like resin and silicone have sufficient capacitance (dielectric) to render the on-board antenna basically useless...
No experience with RPi, but with other WiFi capable devices such as ESP8266 and ESP32.
YMMV.

Edit: to qualify 'dielectric'.

48X24X48X:

--- Quote from: Mr.B on September 14, 2021, 06:45:30 am ---In my experience, potting compounds like resin and silicone have sufficient capacitance (dielectric) to render the on-board antenna basically useless...
No experience with RPi, but with other WiFi capable devices such as ESP8266 and ESP32.
YMMV.

--- End quote ---
I think you can omit the section where the antenna is and it's tracks leading to it.

e100:

--- Quote from: 48X24X48X on September 14, 2021, 06:53:41 am ---
--- Quote from: Mr.B on September 14, 2021, 06:45:30 am ---In my experience, potting compounds like resin and silicone have sufficient capacitance (dielectric) to render the on-board antenna basically useless...
YMMV.

--- End quote ---
I think you can omit the section where the antenna is and it's tracks leading to it.

--- End quote ---

The metal can over the WiFi chip has some holes so definitely isn't liquid proof.
How do you persuade resin to only go where it's needed? Do you tilt the board and carefully apply resin with a pipette so that it drains away from critical areas?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version