Author Topic: Hot tweezer compatibility?  (Read 2489 times)

Offline jpanhaltTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Hot tweezer compatibility?
« on: May 22, 2022, 01:15:39 pm »
So far, I have removed small SMD 2-lead components with braid and a quick flick with the iron.  That frequently damages the resistor/capacitor but not the board.  I am considering hot tweezers.

My hot air soldering station is unbranded and inexpensive but works.  It is labeled 8582D and has a 6 pin connector.  Pin 6 is in the center.  It is probably identical to this item on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Soldering-Rework-Station-Digital-Display/dp/B08MXL78T7/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=8582D%2Bsoldering%2Bstation&qid=1653223339&sr=8-7&th=1

Various tweezers are sold with a compatible connector, such as this:
Tegongse 902
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082TTTB7F/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A1RA54VOR7G4MV&psc=1

Of course, information is very limited.  Heating power pins on the 8562D appear to be pins 1 and 2 CW from detent and measure 32 VAC (unloaded).  The tweezers say they are for 24 VAC.

Has anyone found compatible tweezers for the 8582D and similar clones?

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
Re: Hot tweezer compatibility?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 01:20:04 pm »
A long time ago I used hot tweezers, but did not like it much.
I much prefer to just use two soldering irons where I can place each on a pad separately.
It also gives you an excuse to buy an extra / spare soldering iron.

Having two irons is also handy for a bunch of other reasons.
It's the quickest way to change tips for example.

Also, when working with enameled wire, you can use a hot iron to burn off the lacquer, and a bit cooler iron for the soldering itself, so your flux does not evaporate so quickly.

The following users thanked this post: jpanhalt

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 02:44:46 pm »
Look for the Gordak 902 on Aliexpress, it looks the same handpiece but sold with a station. I have no idea about Tegongse, compatibility or who makes the original chinese knockoff.

The biggest problem with these will be power throughput on a 50/60W station and tip alignment as those larger tweezers have some lateral movement. They are virtually the lowest quality you can buy, poor imitations of current Hakko FX8804 (formerly 950 tweezer on the Hakko 936 series stations), which are roughly $200 for just the handpiece.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Hakko design was inspired by the Pace ThermoTweez, my TT-65 tweezers shown below which are substantially the more industrialized version. The tips are encompassed by the heaters which prevent accidental damage, easy changing and more flexible tip geometries to be used (all weaknesses in Hakkos design). Attached are the 6.6mm for LCC and PQFP removal.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 03:39:47 pm by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 03:49:14 pm »
Compatibility between generic stations and accessories is always a crapshoot.  I needed a hot air gun for my generic "Sumsour" 858D station so I ordered one that said it was for an 858D and had the same pin count and arrangement--and it didn't work.  So I'm not sure there will ever be any certainty as to whether some product on eBay or Aliexpress will actually work.

If you want cheap hot tweezers, I have the Yihua 938D kit that goes for $43 +5 shipping on Aliexpress.  They're decent for the money and have powerful heaters--they draw 240W on startup.  Although the tip arrangement is a bit fidgety, they have been good enough for occasional use.  The only drawback is that I've never found any tips other than the original curved and skinny type.  They work fine on 2-lead SMD components of almost any size, although I haven't tried them on anything microscopic like 0201.  The stand is even halfway decent.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000382256379.html
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 04:16:49 pm »
Thanks to all of you.
I am still on the fence whether I need one, since it is not often I need to replace such components without destroying them.  I have several soldering irons, including the one that came with the 8582D and my Edsyn Loner.  I actually have one that dates to JFK times. :(

I share the concerns about being a gamble.  My pre-heater and reflow oven are is Yihua, which seems to be a legitimate manufacturer, and I am happy with it.  If I decide to go with a pair of hot tweezers, I will probably go with the Yihua 938D and not one of its knockoffs.
John
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 04:21:06 pm by jpanhalt »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 04:20:39 pm »
So far, I have removed small SMD 2-lead components with braid and a quick flick with the iron.  That frequently damages the resistor/capacitor but not the board.  I am considering hot tweezers.
Do yourself a favour and buy the 'Chip tool' from Ersa. https://ts.kurtzersa.com/electronics-production-equipment/soldering-tools-accessories/tools-for-soldering-stations/produkt-details/chip-tool-1.html  I wrote a quick review 6 years ago: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/ersa-chiptool-quick-review/msg954633/

Anything else is just various gradations of junk (including JBC) and a waste of your time & money.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 04:25:35 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline exmadscientist

• Frequent Contributor
  • Technically A Professional
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2022, 06:25:53 am »
Anything else is just various gradations of junk (including JBC) and a waste of your time & money.
The JBC Nano station tweezers kick the ChipTool's butt. Granted, the ChipTool I used had rather beat-up tips and was generally in need of attention... but that's because its owner said he only uses his JBC Nano these days! The Nano has only two downsides: cost, and the ease by which gorillas can break its delicate tips (which, again, cost a lot to replace). It makes 0402s trivial and 0201s possible. (At least according to other people. I let them do the 0201s.)

Weller WX tweezers are OK. Not worth what Weller charges from them, but they're OK.

I don't like the Thermaltronic tweezers (said to be direct clones of Metcal?). They're big and clunky. Even 0603 parts can be a challenge with them, and that's not what you want to see in a tweezer. Though they are able to pull off a SOIC-8, which I guess is something.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2022, 09:45:51 am »
I have not seen the JBC nano tweezers before. Looks OK for small stuff. However the experience I have with JBC is that the tips get bad quickly resulting in spots that won't pick up solder (won't wet). Tweezers make this worse because you are only use a small fraction of the tip surface and that part of the surface needs to keep picking up solder. The quality of the tips is where Ersa shines. In the decades that I have been using Ersa, I never needed to replace a tip.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2022, 10:42:54 pm »
Do yourself a favour and buy the 'Chip tool' from Ersa. https://ts.kurtzersa.com/electronics-production-equipment/soldering-tools-accessories/tools-for-soldering-stations/produkt-details/chip-tool-1.html  I wrote a quick review 6 years ago: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/ersa-chiptool-quick-review/msg954633/

$300, not including the station (~$500) or tips, and look like they have limited thermal performance, super long tip.
This version looks better for SMD: https://www.tequipment.net/Ersa/CHIP-TOOL-VARIO/Soldering-Tweezers/

If OP actually had $300 to throw down, they could just barely eek out a Hakko FX1003-83 + tips + 40W RF supply, without a stand. Nothing comes close to it at that price point.
But, if they are just removing the odd part, Yihua, maybe a large tip, or another station with better tip selection might suffice.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Super Contributor
Re: Hot tweezer compatibility? [SOLVED]
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2022, 10:46:57 pm »
I have decided to go with a Yihua.  Extra tips are available in two versions (thin tip like the expensive versions and a little wider tip).  It is cheap, and for my rare use, I hope it works.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
Re: Hot tweezer compatibility? [SOLVED]
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2022, 02:31:43 pm »
I have decided to go with a Yihua.  Extra tips are available in two versions (thin tip like the expensive versions and a little wider tip). 

Where do you see these tips?
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2022, 05:06:58 pm »
I saw what I thought were wider tips on eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/183969490446?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2763.l2649 ).

Unfortunately, on closer inspection, that was just a shadow.  Oops.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2022, 01:26:01 am »

$300, not including the station (~$500) or tips, and look like they have limited thermal performance, super long tip.
The thermal performance is just fine. The heaters extend all the way out into the tip. IIRC you can buy the handpiece and station as a bundle as well. Still around $500 though. For some tools you just can't get away using something cheap unfortunately. I bought cheap hot tweezers as well only to find out I had wasted my money.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 01:27:43 am by nctnico »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2022, 09:38:43 pm »
The thermal performance is just fine. The heaters extend all the way out into the tip. IIRC you can buy the handpiece and station as a bundle as well. Still around $500 though. For some tools you just can't get away using something cheap unfortunately. I bought cheap hot tweezers as well only to find out I had wasted my money.

The heater is a good 15mm away from the actual tip end that contacts the part (vs 8mm on hakko). I'm sure they are fine for 99% of situations though.

Yes there is nothing of any quality below $300, but for that price, and exclusive use on small SMD parts, the Hakko is not bad.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf