Author Topic: How to cut Rogers ceramic laminates copper clad  (Read 702 times)

Offline matthuszaghTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
How to cut Rogers ceramic laminates copper clad
« on: September 01, 2022, 04:20:10 pm »
I ordered some RO4350B copper clad in 12x18" panels, which I plan to cut down to 4x6". There are several ways to cut FR4 copper clad. One common way is to score both sides with a knife and then bend it in a vise. Another is to use a wet tile saw, and there are others as well. Will these same methods work on RO4350B, or will I need to use another method?

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
Re: How to cut Rogers ceramic laminates copper clad
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 07:24:54 pm »
A PCB guillotine is probably the best thing to use. Note that Rogers 4000 and 4350 is even more abrasive than FR4 so it wears out cutting tools quicker.

How thick is the material? I've never tried the scoring and snapping method but that isn't something I'd want to try with Rogers material unless I knew it was going to work. There is the risk the material will fray/fragment at the edges if you do this. This material is very expensive so mistakes will be costly. At work I would use a guillotine for the stuff you want to do.

The following users thanked this post: matthuszagh

Offline matthuszaghTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: How to cut Rogers ceramic laminates copper clad
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2022, 09:20:40 pm »
I bought 3 different varieties: 10, 20 and 30 mil, though I expect I’ll probably use the thinnest variety the most often.

Anything to look for in a guillotine? I found this: https://www.tme.com/us/en-us/details/wf6937000/repair-and-construction-tools/wolfcraft/6937000/?brutto=1&currency=USD&gclid=CjwKCAjwsMGYBhAEEiwAGUXJaSlumsD6-cfuO3Na8Fw05aio6SpTAZNxS4ygZY6ZR2gWqL3FIx35uxoCrEMQAvD_BwE] [url]https://www.tme.com/us/en-us/details/wf6937000/repair-and-construction-tools/wolfcraft/6937000/?brutto=1&currency=USD&gclid=CjwKCAjwsMGYBhAEEiwAGUXJaSlumsD6-cfuO3Na8Fw05aio6SpTAZNxS4ygZY6ZR2gWqL3FIx35uxoCrEMQAvD_BwE[/url]. Price looks great but I expect it’s a bit too good to be true. I expect a proper guillotine may be out of my budget. At least bought new.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf