Author Topic: JBC C245 Coating removal cartridge - burr at edge  (Read 5739 times)

Offline Okto47Topic starter

• Contributor
JBC C245 Coating removal cartridge - burr at edge
« on: January 30, 2024, 10:22:05 pm »
Hello,

Just bought the coating removal cartridge JBC C245-109 for about 40 bucks so not really cheap for a tip.

The cutting edge has a small partial burr on both sides which makes it unusable , at least in my case.
(The burr scratches the underlying hard but thin protective & anticorrosive isolation layer. Because of that layer I had to use heat to remove the heat sensitive layer on top of it without much force.)

Anyone else got that cartridge and knows if that burr is standard or if I just got a bad one ?

Easy to remove that burr by myself but then the hard chrome coating got partially removed too - what that means for usability & lifetime ?

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: JBC C245 Coating removal cartridge - burr at edge
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 10:44:30 pm »
Interesting, it is not tinned as you say just chrome: https://www.jbctools.com/c245109-conformal-coating-removal-cartridge-43-not-for-soldering-product-445.html
My guess is the burr was formed during grinding, and then plated over. So no real chance to salvage it without screwing up the plating.
Plating shouldn't form a sharp surface like that.

If this were to be used with solder, it would definitely fail prematurely and start eroding in weeks, but conformal coat.. probably still last a while I would think. What temperature do you use it at?
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2024, 07:19:28 am »
Yes thought the same - it’s from grinding and plating got over that.

Haven’t really worked with that JBC Tipp because of that burr but at my old non jbc tip the temperature was about 240°C.
But it got rarely used for other stuff too, mostly lower temps but sometimes even over 300°C (stronger high temp epoxy’s)

Maybe that temperature without flux and molten tin alloy is no problem even without plating , but thought it would become very soft and molten / burned coating will stick way more onto (oxidised)  copper as onto chrome so it would need way more servicing if I remove the burr and so partially the plating.
But looks like I had to try that anyway.

Maybe anyone owns one of that tips too and can confirm if that burr is always present or if I got a bad one?
Then it would be better to regrind a worn out chisel next time instead of buying it again.

Offline MR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2024, 09:09:37 am »
JBC tips which we have bought are usually trouble free and the quality is good. In case you stumble over such issues I would contact their technical support (they are very supportive and reply within a few hours).

You'll probably get a valuable answer quicker than even posting in the forum here (=my experience, I contacted them a few times and always got spot on answers, they even helped to fix an 110v solder iron which accidentally was plugged into 220v outlet...).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 10:00:38 am by MR »

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2024, 07:56:21 pm »
Ok thx , will try that .
Haven’t done that because I made the opposite experience, still wait for an answer to a mail I wrote them months ago about something else.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 08:22:25 pm by Okto47 »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2024, 10:48:52 pm »
I guess at this point though I would just send a photo of that tip and the serial number, don't mention grinding, and hope they'll give you a new one without asking for the old one back.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline MR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2024, 11:17:34 am »
Ok thx , will try that .
Haven’t done that because I made the opposite experience, still wait for an answer to a mail I wrote them months ago about something else.

From my experience with them, if your mail is not answered within a few hours you can probably retry. I received my answers within a few hours (2 or 3 contacts over the last years, the recent contact was just a week ago)

Sometimes they forward your question to the representant of your country - so it might hang there.
The spanish and german offices are top.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 11:20:04 am by MR »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf