Author Topic: JLCPCB SMT Assembly Service  (Read 41595 times)

Offline Fire Doger

• Regular Contributor
  • Stefanos
Re: JLCPCB SMT Assembly Service
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2019, 09:41:42 am »
Edit:
Is there a downloadable spreadsheet somewhere listing all the basic parts?
Yes, someone uploaded in the other thread. Couldn't find it in their site...

Where is the basic list? Maybe for cost reasons.
This list has tons of capacitors: https://jlcpcb.com/video/jlcsmt_parts_library.xls

Offline 48X24X48X

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rocket Scream
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2019, 09:47:11 am »
That last part, where you can turn SMT assembly switch to "on", is completely invisible for me on the page.

It also does not show up after adding the gerbers.
I'm seeing the same thing. Maybe it's currently enabled for a small pool of customer? Like after a limit, they switch it off?

Offline Fire Doger

• Regular Contributor
  • Stefanos
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2019, 10:12:16 am »
Just finished placing two PCBA orders.
The first was easy, just a few passives.

On the second one, all the IC's were out of rotation (90 degrees one way or the other) compared to proteus.
I had to edit the placement file and reupload a few times until it looked right.
I'll post a pic of what turns up in the post
Rotation depends on how parts come in the reel tape (last pages on most datasheets) and EDA library
There is a chineese AD library for supported parts and a guide
http://club.szlcsc.com/article/details_963_1.html
http://club.szlcsc.com/article/details_1569_1.html
Rotating parts from random libraries is one factor that drives smt assembly tooling cost high.

Offline SteveyGTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2019, 01:38:00 pm »
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

The following users thanked this post: 48X24X48X, GeorgeOfTheJungle, teksturi, laneboysrc, cgroen, bd139, liteyear

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2019, 07:40:56 am »
For anyone that didn't have the SMT assembly option available, apparently it has now been made open to all customers. I think it was still in testing phase before

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2019, 08:25:04 am »
Thanks for the summary video. Covers everything nicely. Interested to see the results.

I'm busy frobbing my design at the moment to get as much in the basic library as possible. Think I can actually get it all in there with some creativity. Also motivation to throw something together with STM32 rather than AVR. Should benefit from decent GDB support then as well.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 08:28:07 am by bd139 »

Offline tglev

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2019, 11:28:49 am »
Is there anyone that knows how to export the BOM and CPL files from autodesk eagle?
The ones I managed to export are in the wrong format and are not accepted.

Any help is appreciated!

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2019, 11:30:11 am »
 :popcorn:
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

• Supporter
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2019, 12:30:48 pm »
Is there anyone that knows how to export the BOM and CPL files from autodesk eagle?

Any help is appreciated!
You may need to export then re-organise it in excel. Did you get the columns in the right order?

Offline tglev

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2019, 02:31:08 pm »

Any help is appreciated!
You may need to export then re-organise it in excel. Did you get the columns in the right order?
The issue with eagle is that the exported files are txt files without extension. This means they arent even close to csv or xlsx files :(

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2019, 03:31:20 pm »
Just FIY:

pcbway.com offers assembly service and they will buy your parts or use provided parts.
I got 10 boards from them last month which I used to test them and I was very happy with the results. About 35 SMD and 15 THT parts, 30$ for the assembly. They supplied the parts and charged just about digikey prices. Assembly / setup cost was 30$ + their normal pcb cost plus shipping.

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2019, 12:45:06 am »
Just FIY:

pcbway.com offers assembly service and they will buy your parts or use provided parts.
I got 10 boards from them last month which I used to test them and I was very happy with the results. About 35 SMD and 15 THT parts, 30$ for the assembly. They supplied the parts and charged just about digikey prices. Assembly / setup cost was 30$ + their normal pcb cost plus shipping.

So $30 set up cost plus $30 for all 10 boards to be assembled or $30 each?
Thanks

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2019, 05:54:06 am »
Just FIY:

Thanks

30$ for 10 boards.
I can also confirm that PCBWAY component pricing is pretty much the exact same as the supplier they buy from (and they're more than happy to buy them from LCSC, same company as JLCPCB).
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, DTJ, thinkfat

• Supporter
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2019, 11:12:43 am »
If DHL can do their thing, I might have it by Friday...  :scared:

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2019, 11:41:33 am »
"Solder Paste Printing" -> They're not bothering doing a stencil ;)  :-+
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline SMTech

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2019, 01:19:49 pm »
"Solder Paste Printing" -> They're not bothering doing a stencil ;)  :-+

If they scale this offering up to the extent they already do with with small batches and one offs of bare boards, it puts them in the rather small niche where solder jet printing is probably actually cost effective, reducing waste of both paste and stencil materials and removing the need to either store or re-manufacture a stencil every time someone actually re-orders. Up until fairly recently however those jet printers were so expensive it was quite difficult for a lot of places to easily justify having one as even proper stencils are fairly cheap with decent lead times (1000's of stencils just to cover the purchase price delta between jet and conventional printing machines)

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2019, 02:01:03 pm »
Just FIY:

Thanks

30$ for 10 boards.
I can also confirm that PCBWAY component pricing is pretty much the exact same as the supplier they buy from (and they're more than happy to buy them from LCSC, same company as JLCPCB).

The $30 for 10pcs is only valid for up to 50 SMT parts, it seems. If you go beyond that, the price is going up rather steeply.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 02:29:46 pm by thinkfat »
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

The following users thanked this post: DTJ

Offline mskeete

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2019, 01:27:23 pm »
Just finished placing two PCBA orders.
The first was easy, just a few passives.

On the second one, all the IC's were out of rotation (90 degrees one way or the other) compared to proteus.
I had to edit the placement file and reupload a few times until it looked right.
I'll post a pic of what turns up in the post

The first two boards I ordered have arrived.
Just one IC to be soldered manually.
Soldered a few headers and did a quick test with the ST-LINK utility.
All OK so far

The following users thanked this post: SteveyG, thm_w, GeorgeOfTheJungle, bd139

• Supporter
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2019, 01:37:28 pm »
Mine are also in. A fairly simple board, so not a huge number of parts to place. I'll record a short video later with some microscope images.
There was a bug at the time I placed my order which limited the maximum number of placed extended components to 10, instead of 10 different types of extended parts. It means I've got a few SMT parts to place, but first impressions are good.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 01:43:38 pm by SteveyG »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, GeorgeOfTheJungle, bd139

Offline jmsigler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2019, 03:00:00 am »
Anyone know why they won't do 6 layer boards? Seems like they should effectively be the same as 2 or 4 layer (although maybe the 6 layer is done in a different fab?).

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2019, 07:43:35 am »
its looking not bad is it
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

• Supporter
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2019, 09:42:26 am »
Anyone know why they won't do 6 layer boards? Seems like they should effectively be the same as 2 or 4 layer (although maybe the 6 layer is done in a different fab?).

At the moment AFAIK, they are tagging these prototype orders onto their already established commercial production lines. Since all of those commercial PCBs are 2 or 4 layer in green they can pool the designs.
I guess if the orders increase sufficiently, other options will be open as there is no specific limitation on the assembly process - the pick and place machines work fine on all colour PCBs and PCB technologies.

Offline milordy

« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2019, 08:00:02 pm »
Does "Review Parts Placement" work correctly?
I just circuit for forehead, and at the time of final viewing the components is not in the correct position, but if I remove two components, the position is almost correct.

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2019, 08:26:14 pm »
Just FIY:

Thanks

30$ for 10 boards.

The $30 for 10pcs is only valid for up to 50 SMT parts, it seems. If you go beyond that, the price is going up rather steeply.

you can try leaving the part count field empty in the quote table, they will automatically quote you based on the number of pads instead of parts, it's going to be more economical in most cases (where you have a lot of smd resistors / caps).
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

Offline mskeete

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2019, 03:39:07 am »
Does "Review Parts Placement" work correctly?
I just circuit for forehead, and at the time of final viewing the components is not in the correct position, but if I remove two components, the position is almost correct. (Attachment Link)

My first 4 boards were fine in the Review Parts page.
My 5th board (uploaded Thursday/Friday) just wouldnt display properly.
Tried many things while waiting for support to get back to me (expecting a response on Monday)

Just now, i tried editing the x,y positions of the first item in the placement file. Changed the numbers thou even though i knew it was meant to be in mm
Everything displayed except the first item.

Next, i moved that item to the middle of the file (with the correct x,y numbers in mm) and everything displayed fine.
Made no sense to me so generated the files again and left the first item where it was in the placement file and it still displayed properly.
I can only conclude that something was fixed on their end while i was testing the files again.

I'm using a Perl script to convert the placement file from Proteus to the required BOM and CPL files so i cant see what manual error i could have made when trying previously. So, try again, it might work now.

Some other people also had problems
https://easyeda.com/forum/topic/SMT-Assembly-Wrong-components-placement-a8d4fb943cf340eeb9309faca7340b23

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf