Electronics > Manufacturing & Assembly

Jumper Wire Pin for 20AWG Wire

(1/3) > >>

cortes:
I bought a cheap set of test hook to male jumper wire leads. I got what I paid for. They work, but seem like they would break if you looked at them wrong.

So I had this brilliant idea of buying some Pomona single ended mini-grabbers and then crimping a pin on to the open end. I got a set of Dupont pins and connectors from Amazon. I could just squeeze the wire into the pin and crimp it. The problem is that the wire insulation is too big to fit into the pin shield. The connectors were made for narrower gauge wire.

I checked to see if they made any for 20AWG and HT-73 showed up in a few images, but I can't find anyone the sells them. I could strip the wire farther back and double crimp it. That seems like poor practice to me.

Any way, my question is: are there any pins that I can insert into a breadboard that will take 20AWG and have a shield?

tooki:
By “shield” I assume you mean the black connector housings. (I’d STRONGLY avoid using the word “shield” for those, because in electronics, shielding has a very specific meaning that is not this one!)

1. The crimp tools included in cheap DuPont sets, like 99% of cheap crimp tools sold expressly for DuPont crimping, aren’t actually suitable for crimping them properly. So when pressed to (or beyond) the limits of the wire size they’re designed for, you end up with a mess that won’t enter the housing. See https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/affordable-crimp-tools-for-small-connectors-(dupont-etc-)/ and the resources linked in the first post.

2. The “real” DuPont connectors (Amphenol Mini-PV) make contacts for all the way up to 18AWG. (Male for 18-20AWG is part 47793. But good luck finding one in stock anywhere…)

3. Some old Pomona minigrabber leads used thin wire, much thinner than today. Unfortunately they did not change the part number, so there’s no way to search for them specifically.

4. What I use now are Hirschmann KLEPS 3ST and Micro KLEPS, which have a male DuPont pin to which you then plug in whatever lead you need at the moment. I’ve made up a bunch of DuPont jumpers of various configurations using 24AWG silicone wire.

cortes:

--- Quote from: tooki on July 03, 2022, 03:23:35 pm ---By “shield” I assume you mean the black connector housings. (I’d STRONGLY avoid using the word “shield” for those, because in electronics, shielding has a very specific meaning that is not this one!)

--- End quote ---
Thanks. I missed that one

--- Quote ---
1. The crimp tools included in cheap DuPont sets, like 99% of cheap crimp tools sold expressly for DuPont crimping, aren’t actually suitable for crimping them properly. So when pressed to (or beyond) the limits of the wire size they’re designed for, you end up with a mess that won’t enter the housing. See https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/affordable-crimp-tools-for-small-connectors-(dupont-etc-)/ and the resources linked in the first post.

--- End quote ---
It didn't come with a crimp tool. I used an Engineer PAD-02. I have some solid 20AWG wire that is a better fit. I'm going to try to crimp in a short tail and then solder on to that if I can't find another alternative.
[snip]

tooki:
Unfortunately, none of its 3 die sets has a circular insulation crimp, so there’s no way it can produce a good result with DuPont contacts. See the aforementioned link.

You seem fixated on the wire gauge, which I suspect isn’t the problem. (I suspect more the crimp and the insulation thickness.) Perhaps you could take some photos of the problem?

jpanhalt:
It would help enormously if the TS would give a link to what he is using or planning to use.   Otherwise, it's a pure guess.

The grabbers I use have a small pin it the top.  I just attach a single Berg-like female connector to my wire, and it fits that pin.  I put heat shrink on the connector and the hole is large enough to accommodate that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version