Electronics > Manufacturing & Assembly

Laser printer for PCB Toner Transfer

(1/3) > >>

Psychaotix:
Hello everyone.

I've been reading online about using a Laser printer to apply a mask to a PCB, so I went and found a printer. Unfortunately, I didn't realise that there's differences in the toner. The printer I've put on lay-by is a Brother HL-2135W monochrome laser printer, sold by BigW for AU$88.

Would this be suitable to use for making PCB's via toner transfer, or should I look at cancelling the layby and going for another brand. I'd like to keep the printer as cheap as possible, because I am on a restricted income, and I know that Brother do generally have a good name, or at least did in the past.

Regards,
Psychaotix

EDIT: I plan on making some boards from artwork in Silicon Chip, one of the electronics magazines in Australia. I'll be working slowly to begin with, as it's been some time since I've done any electronics work, but I believe I remember enough of the basics, and if I have any issues, I can always refer back to the source.

First project is a frequency reference.

nanofrog:
In theory, Yes. Unfortunately, there are complaints with using Brother printers, even with different toner (won't transfer properly, no matter the transfer paper).

If you can cancel, you might want to do so, and get something else, such as an HP or Canon (IIRC, both of these have provided good success rates). Check out the consumables cost, not just that of the printer. I actually went with Brother myself based on this, but I wasn't thinking in terms of Toner Transfer method.

If you do get the Brother, there's a trick that can get it to work (involves a separate make of copy machine). Copy Shop could be your friend if you don't have access to one otherwise.  ;)

kripton2035:
I'm using an epson c1100 (idem cx11 or cx21) with black epson toner and photo paper and it works fine.
don't know about the brother sorry.

Psychaotix:
Ahh, okay. Looks like I'll be cancelling the lay-by and seeking out another printer. There's no point having a printer that's not going to work for what I want.

Looking at one of the local stores online, I came across a HP Laserjet 1102W which seems to have good reviews and is under AU$100. Apparently it works well, and can lay down a reasonably thick coating of toner which helps the process as I understand it.

Here's a link to the printer.
http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Technology/Printers-and-Faxes/Laser-Printers/Mono-Laser-Printers/HELJ1102W

Regards,
Psychaotx

nanofrog:

--- Quote from: wilfred on February 10, 2013, 01:54:50 am ---My Brother HL-2040 works for me and I use the better quality glossy paper from junk mail or brochures from kitchens and appliances I get from the hardware shop.

I've said it before (several times) I think this issue with Brother toner is an urban myth that has no basis in truth aside from the person who started it having process problems and blaming the toner.

There is heat, pressure, PCB cleanliness and paper quality that all have a bearing.

--- End quote ---
Can you post some PCB pics you've made on yours?

It would be appreciated, as it would help generate confidence in mine (MFC-9450CDN).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version