Electronics > Manufacturing & Assembly

Long and flexible KType thermocouples for oven characterization.

(1/2) > >>

maxkunes:
Hi all,

I'm looking for a longish (2m maybe) and very flexible K-type thermocouple for characterization my Chinese reflow oven. Its a conveyer belt, so right now I attach a long, but not very flexible, thermocouple to a test board and run it through while using a logging temp device. The only long enough thermocouple cable I have isn't flexible as much as I would like.

Anyone know of a 1.5 to 2 m long silicone (not a requirement, but would be nice as it would be very flexible) K-type thermocouple that can withstand a few hundred C?

dzseki:
Since you appear to be in the US, Omega is your best bet. Thermocouples can be bought in virtually any length, and 0.5mm sheath diameter is rather common.

jmelson:
Years ago, I managed to snag a 1000' reel of type E thermocouple extension wire on eBay.  Yes, it is an oddball thermocouple, but most of the thermocouple controllers can be set for type E, you just have to get into a deep secret menu to change it.  I specifically got micro-size wire so I could poke it into plated through holes in the boards.
Actually, you can get thermocouple wire down to hair thin size if you need it to be really flexible and low thermal mass.

Let me know if you want some of my type E wire.

Jon

beanflying:

--- Quote from: maxkunes on May 12, 2021, 07:05:55 pm ---Hi all,

I'm looking for a longish (2m maybe) and very flexible K-type thermocouple for characterization my Chinese reflow oven. Its a conveyer belt, so right now I attach a long, but not very flexible, thermocouple to a test board and run it through while using a logging temp device. The only long enough thermocouple cable I have isn't flexible as much as I would like.

Anyone know of a 1.5 to 2 m long silicone (not a requirement, but would be nice as it would be very flexible) K-type thermocouple that can withstand a few hundred C?

--- End quote ---

Thermocouples run couple specific wire cable to avoid adding extra couples wherever possible. Also Plugs and Sockets (not nesecerilly evilbay and aliexpress) are similarly material matched.

The Omega resource section is great and well worth a trawl

https://www.pyrosales.com.au/blog/thermocouple-information/thermocouple-cable-colour-chart

https://www.pyrosales.com.au/temperature-sensors/thermocouple-wire-and-cable

48X24X48X:
Omega's glass braided type-K GG-K-30-SLE would work great and withstand abuse over long term usage.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version