Author Topic: Looking at conveyor reflow oven. Recommendations?  (Read 2443 times)

Offline Rat_PatrolTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Looking at conveyor reflow oven. Recommendations?
« on: April 16, 2021, 05:11:38 pm »
I've been using multiple batch ovens (Controleo converted toaster ovens) and while they work, I either need to build about 8 more or just get a conveyor reflow oven and be done.

I need the capacity to run 80+ 150x200mm 4 layer boards per day. Boards are populated on both sides, so that is a consideration as well.

I need a to have clean air in the assembly room, so active venting will be used, though filtering it first would be great. I'm all about keeping the air clean.

Looking at the Neoden USA line because I'm likely to get a Neoden PnP machine in the not-too-distant future.

Any experiences, recommendations (for one of these or other brand), etc?

Like to stay under $10k USD

Offline MakeIt

• Contributor
Re: Looking at conveyor reflow oven. Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 08:00:34 am »
Hello,

I am the owner of an IN6 and am very happy about it. My production batches are around 50 pcs.

Got myself a carrier to do the double sided PCB's.
This carrier will raise the boards by 1/4 of an inch and keeps the small parts on the secondary side from touching the belt.

I needed to play around with the bottom side temperature a bit to optimize the soldering.

The great city of Antwerp!

Offline Mangozac

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 09:46:14 pm »
We're running a Kayo RF-630 and are quite happy with it: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/KAYO-RF630-6-heating-zones-full_62101113799.html

Price with discrete control (no PC) and mesh conveyor was around USD3k plus delivery. If buying again I'd pay the little extra for the chain conveyor option.

The following users thanked this post: bmjjr

Offline Reckless

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 05:31:04 am »
For production batches Id be weary of neoden oven esp double sided.  I do strongly recommend Essemtec RO300fc 3 zone oven.  Very similar to neoden but swiss production grade quality.  It replaces 8 zone ovens as it has nasa grade technology for moving air.  If interested I have an extra for sale.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 05:32:39 am by Reckless »

Offline Reckless

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 05:36:32 am »
When I contacted neoden they didnt seem confident of running 100 pcbs per day regularly on their oven.  Essemtec was opposite they had a study where their oven can do 700pcbs in an 8 hour shift.  Been running smoothly for 2 years on multiple assembly lines without a single hiccup. 

Offline VladaAca

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 08:20:45 pm »
Hello,
I use IN6 (Neoden) and generally can recommend it. In the beginning have some problems, one heater wasn't good, after some time mostly spend  misunderstanding due to language barrier they sent me spare heater. I order directly from China , price about 2k +shipping. If You have light boards (not heavy copper and massive components) You can put and bake boards continually. Large boards with lot of copper (ground plane) need some distance between each other because the heaters in last (hottest) zone are not powerful enough (my opinion, which Neoden don't take into account). Anyway, it can withstand 80 boards per day. It have carbon filter on exhaust, but if you want clean (and cold) air in working environment you must conduct the air outside. I haven't other reflow oven , so I can't compare results with competitors.

Offline Reckless

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 11:42:36 pm »
Neoden describes their oven as prosumer not industrial grade.

Offline SMTech

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 01:41:39 pm »
As hinted at in other posts, what you are looking for is the throughput in cm/hour (or similar metric) an oven might be capable of. A smaller oven will always have a lower capacity and might have to work harder to achieve it, meaning its heaters and fans die quicker. That said, the reputation of Chinese reflow ovens in general is they go through heaters and blowers a bit quicker anyway as its one of the areas they have saved a few pennies on. I think ideally you'd want something in the 1-2m (or 4-6 heated zones) heated length kinda range for the rather vague 100/boards/day metric. That essentially means a little Essemtec if you stumble across one, people really like those or one of the many many ovens right in that bracket from China, at least most of those are cheap enough it doesn't matter too much if it turns out not to be adequate.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 03:23:50 pm »
As hinted at in other posts, what you are looking for is the throughput in cm/hour (or similar metric) an oven might be capable of. A smaller oven will always have a lower capacity and might have to work harder to achieve it, meaning its heaters and fans die quicker. That said, the reputation of Chinese reflow ovens in general is they go through heaters and blowers a bit quicker anyway as its one of the areas they have saved a few pennies on. I think ideally you'd want something in the 1-2m (or 4-6 heated zones) heated length kinda range for the rather vague 100/boards/day metric. That essentially means a little Essemtec if you stumble across one, people really like those or one of the many many ovens right in that bracket from China, at least most of those are cheap enough it doesn't matter too much if it turns out not to be adequate.

Any particular Chinese ovens in that bracket that are generally recommended?

Also interested in the Essemtec, but what are the prices for those?

Offline SMTech

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 10:02:35 am »
An RO 400 is about £20k GBP new with the optional PC, or was last time I checked. I'd guess the 300 was around 15k. 3phase of course. You can see a few example 2nd user prices on Machinio.com in Europe, depreciation can be pretty savage in the UK there is almost always one for sale somewhere. A Heller 1500 is another global brand "compact" oven you might consider

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 03:37:56 pm »
3 phase is a no go, and I need to keep my weight reasonable.

I have access to 240v 2 phase, but not 3 phase.

I should have mentioned that earlier.

Offline SMTech

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2021, 09:40:44 pm »
Then you might well be better off with multiple IN6 or Puhui T960/T961. Or you need to work out where in China/India this little chap comes from https://grovesales.co.uk/bench-top-lead-free-4-zone-reflow-oven-single-phase/ which is/was also traded under the brand Global Active Technologies from Singapore, they've been available in the UK for probably 10 years so it might be safe to guess the guys selling them haven't had too much blowback. I think Grove used to buy them from another UK distributor who doesn't list them anymore but I think that has more to do with UK distribution having had a recent reshuffling of brands in general over the past year or two, several brands have new homes and at least one seller has closed its doors.

Offline Reckless

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2021, 03:00:59 am »
Puhui T960 is not too bad for a chinese oven (I have brand new one for sale - PM if interested).  It doesn't weigh that much.  My gut says the Puhui is better than the Neoden.  I haven't seen the Neoden but I studied a number of videos of it and it didn't seem as professional.

I still recommend the Essemtec over chinese ovens but it will need 3 phase power or a converter.  They are pretty much no hassle ovens.  The only brand I have heard better than Essemtec is Vitronics.  Ive had Heller ovens and I know everyone else likes 8-9 zone ovens but for me 3 zones is more than enough.  Nice thing about the Essemtecs is that they take little space so much smaller foot print for an SMT line and don't draw that much power. Ive had great luck with them and can't recommend them enough. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf