Author Topic: manufactured JLC PCB trace/connectivity weirdness  (Read 699 times)

Offline src1989Topic starter

• Contributor
    • SRC Events
manufactured JLC PCB trace/connectivity weirdness
« on: March 22, 2023, 11:42:39 pm »
I designed a 5V LED PCB (The BigClivicle), which flashes LEDs with a PIC micro. I've so far assembled about 50 of these without a problem.

this one icicle has such a problem: several of the segments don't light at all, or sometimes they light dimly.

initially i thought it i'd cooked the LEDs or the PIC by keeping the iron on too long. replaced them. problem persists  :-//

transplanted the "dud" PIC and LEDs to another PCB, and they worked perfectly.  :-//

thought it could be flux residue; cleaned it off with IPA solvent. problem persists.  :-//

re-did the solder joints. problem persists.  :-//

bleeped the traces out and everything connects where it should, and nothing shorted...  :-//

what can i try next?

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
Re: manufactured JLC PCB trace/connectivity weirdness
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 12:18:20 am »
Just don't bother saving a cheap pcb?
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline Kim Christensen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 12:55:30 am »
bleeped the traces out and everything connects where it should, and nothing shorted...  :-//
what can i try next?

You must have missed something. Check it using "ohm" mode instead of the "beeper" mode. A low ohm resistor (33ohm) will "beep" and a high resistance one (100K) will not beep, giving you a false sense of confidence that all is OK when it's really not.

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Offline n4u

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 11:07:26 am »
Maybe you provide high resolution image and show us. Maybe there is less soldermast and u short sth when soldering ?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf