Author Topic: Migrating a through-hole PCB design to SMD/pick-and-place  (Read 779 times)

Offline amaningdTopic starter

Migrating a through-hole PCB design to SMD/pick-and-place
« on: September 29, 2022, 08:56:52 pm »
I'd like to change one of my existing through-hole board designs to a mostly surface-mount design that can be assembled by a pick-and-place machine.  Up to this point, I've been purchasing the parts myself from Digikey, ordering bare boards from my preferred vendor, and hand-soldering each board.  This is getting to be time-consuming as my designs become more involved and I need to assemble multiple boards. 

I've seen a bunch of Dave's videos on BOM consolidation, design for manufacture, SMD soldering, etc., and I've incorporated these ideas into my existing through-hole design. I've never ordered a board for full assembly by a vendor before, though.  I'm wondering what else I should know before approaching the vendor with my Gerber files and BOM, just so I don't look like an idiot...

Some of my immediate questions:
  • Since my BOM contains Digikey part numbers and quantities, could I ask the vendor to handle parts procurement/ordering?
  • If one of the parts on my BOM is out of stock (especially during These Times™) and needs to be substituted, how would I inform the vendor of appropriate alternatives? E.g. would this information need to be on the BOM?

I hope this isn't too "newbie" of a question!

Offline Jackster

• Frequent Contributor
    • PCBA.UK
Re: Migrating a through-hole PCB design to SMD/pick-and-place
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2022, 09:19:38 pm »
Your first PCBA order can be quite daunting, but rest assured that your PCBA house will be able to guide you through any issues.

• Since my BOM contains Digikey part numbers and quantities, could I ask the vendor to handle parts procurement/ordering?
  • If one of the parts on my BOM is out of stock (especially during These Times™) and needs to be substituted, how would I inform the vendor of appropriate alternatives? E.g. would this information need to be on the BOM?

1. Getting the assembly house to order parts for you is pretty common. Most of us actually prefer it. Just give them your BOM and they will order enough plus extra. They might even have those parts in stock ready to go.
2. You can give them multiple part numbers. Add an extra column to the BOM and add a note saying substitute components are listed next to the MPN. You can always send an email with more info.

Offline loki42

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 11:02:07 pm »
Have a look at services like jlcpcb assembly.  Even if you don't continue using them they have some neat stuff for short runs. If you can lay out stuff for the more automated process then the higher cost human ones shouldn't have a problem. Some parts are much more expensive or cheaper in particular regions though so check if you're going for an assembler in another country. 

Offline peter-h

• Super Contributor
  • Doing electronics since the 1960s...
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2022, 11:58:16 am »
I would use an assembly contractor who is nearby, so you can pop over easily.

Been doing this for 30 years... and I always free issue all the parts.
Z80 Z180 Z280 Z8 S8 8031 8051 H8/300 H8/500 80x86 90S1200 32F417

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf