Author Topic: My MCU is out of stock worldwide?  (Read 5109 times)

Offline SaimounTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
My MCU is out of stock worldwide?
« on: April 20, 2021, 12:33:53 pm »
Hi :)

So I have this project which I hope to sell 1000 units of soon. Many months ago I decided to go with an STM8L151 MCU because it's great hardware with many fonctionality for very cheap!
My aim was for the STM8L151G6U6TR which has everything I need for <$1 per unit (at 1000). But at this point I am happy to get anything which starts with STM8L151 and has at least 32kB of flash memory. Changing the MCU type/brand is really the last resort as it would mean months of work (code) down the drain :palm:

I am manufacturing and assembling the electronics in China, and the MCU is really difficult for them to get. I just got a quote from NextPCB saying they can get the STM8L151G6U6TR for $25 per unit. Mouser and Digikey seem out of stock of pretty much any STM8L151.

So I come to you (again  ;D ) for help!
How would you handle such a situation?

Thank you!
Simon

Offline SMTech

• Frequent Contributor
Re: My MCU is out of stock worldwide?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 01:06:44 pm »
Octopart shows a few chinese sourcing/brokers with access to stock and right at the bottom of the list is Abacus https://www.abacuselect.com/search/?q=STM8L151G6U6TR&utm_source=octopart who are at least a proper seller you might know.

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 02:31:49 pm »
Ok thank you that helps a lot! I wrote to Abascus to hear if they can deliver to Shenzhen :)

I actually did not know about Octopart - I think I found something similar before but it was only accessible for companies and at a quite high price.
How do you know Abascus is a chinese broker?

Offline SMTech

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 09:37:52 pm »
Oh they are not, but I'm pretty sure the other guys on the list are. Abacus are a proper distributor we we use/used at work, not that I get involved in that side of things.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 12:19:10 am »
Thank goodness I saw this thread.

I was barely able to buy enough micros to populate a big PCB order I'm putting in, now. Well, I have shipping confirmation on half the order. I'm still waiting on the other order, but so far, so good.

Lead times are nuts. 1 year lead times?

I wonder if the internet just saved me, or if it creates these shortages by increasing the panic level? I've never seen a shortage on this particular part, before.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 07:21:21 am »
@SMTech: ok I understand. I do not know any of these so no way to find out if they are china-based. But I'm ok paying a bit more to import it in China anyways, it's nice to see some companies still have some stock!

@KL27x: very interesting! Which micro are you using, and where did you order it from?

@ANTALIFE: Oh yea that was the company I found before - unfortunately $120/month is way out of my budget for now (I'm not even a company (yet) and this is my first product), and a lot of money to find one part. I'll definitely consider it in the future though :)

Offline DIYGUY Chris

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2021, 12:54:55 am »
Maybe you want to check resellers on LinkedIn, many Chinese resellers are there and they could provide the part I guess  :)

Offline 48X24X48X

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rocket Scream
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2021, 07:09:49 am »
Oh they are not, but I'm pretty sure the other guys on the list are. Abacus are a proper distributor we we use/used at work, not that I get involved in that side of things.
They didn't get back to me after I submitted a quote request on their website. It has been few days since. Is that their "normal" timeline?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2021, 07:56:20 am »
Same here - I have not heard from them yet. They do say on their website they reply when they can and that it might take a while.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2021, 02:01:39 pm »
There is global shortage of parts. Anyone claiming having said parts nobody else has without asking 10x the price is lying.
I got an email from octopart with this graph in it, and it shows that it's just gone. This applies to basically all parts. And will be for raw materials as well end of summer. (wood, plastics)
Best you can do now is pre-order.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2021, 09:26:04 pm »
Anyone know why STM32 seems particularly badly hit by the shortage?

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2021, 02:09:20 pm »
I can only guess. They sell a lot of variants. So it's already difficult to restock each family at small supply chain disruptions, which is then multiplied by the split into many package variants and memory bins.
I'm not sure if they make the micro's in their own fabs.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2021, 01:44:50 am »
"Strike action has begun {Nov. 5 2020} at ST following a decision by management not to give a raise to all employees, despite recording Q3 revenues 27.8% up on Q2 for a gross profit of $1 billion and a forecast of 12% sequential profit for Q4." 2020 "CGT union points out that the 100 senior executives of ST in France receive on average € 200,000 per year with € 50,000 free shares."
ST CEO gets +28.5% for one year or $1.28M increase for 2020, to $5.74M see cartoon

It involves three unions and a lot of anger at the company. French unions keep pointing out ST profits and exec wages and perks.
I'm not sure if the strike is still going on?

https://www.cad-st.org/-001-les-sites-stmicro-

The following users thanked this post: ANTALIFE

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2021, 09:19:31 am »
Okaaaayy  ;D  ;D
French people demonstrating against horrible management... Sounds familiar!!  :-DD

Gosh that explains a lot of things - and in my case I guess they sell the STM8 a lot less than their STM32, so it will probably be the last one to be restocked...

Next project I am definitely going to try GigaDevices - china for the win ;D  (and I am French myself)

Offline 1276-2449-1-ND

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2021, 11:46:55 am »
Does ST sell direct?

I had the same problem with a Microchip part, but ordered it through Microchip Direct and even though it was backordered almost a year I got them a month later. It wasn't even a big order -- just a couple hundred ICs.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2021, 01:09:29 pm »
Thanks for the advice :))

I have not looked much into it, and when/if I do the idea will be to use them and learn them like I would with any other MCU brand, not as a direct STM32 replacement ;)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2021, 01:52:54 pm »
So I'm trying to order 10 prototypes from NextPCB. Price is 600$. And $250 of that is... the STM8L151G6U6, chosen for its lovely market price of $0.75 in quantities  :palm:

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2021, 07:58:06 am »
Ha ha - just went through all posts of that thread  :-DD

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/stmicroelectronics-shortage/

You guys are funnay  ;D But also, seriously, very interesting thread to read - I am genuinely considering throwing away 3 months of work on the code for that STM8 and switch to another MCU... I was thinking going to Atmel, but it seems Atmel has been just as little reliable in the past.

And the irony of switching to a GD32 will be the huge amount of processing power that I really do not need - a small (and cheap) 8-bit MCU was all I needed for this project.

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2021, 10:05:01 am »
considering throwing away 3 months of work on the code for that STM8 and switch to another MCU...
(snip)
And the irony of switching to a GD32 will be the huge amount of processing power that I really do not need

Well, may be extra processing power may help saving development efforts? :)

Offline olkipukki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2021, 12:37:04 pm »

You guys are funnay  ;D But also, seriously, very interesting thread to read - I am genuinely considering throwing away 3 months of work on the code for that STM8 and switch to another MCU... I was thinking going to Atmel, but it seems Atmel has been just as little reliable in the past.
Did you consider Silabs EFM8?  ???

And the irony of switching to a GD32 will be the huge amount of processing power that I really do not need - a small (and cheap) 8-bit MCU was all I needed for this project.
It looks like a new normal, just buy reels of same IC, regardless if you keep half unpopulated pins and low percentage RAM/storage utilization.  ^-^
The promising dev savings exceed a few dozen pennies saved for "nice fit" MCU

« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 12:38:51 pm by olkipukki »

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2021, 04:21:19 pm »

SiLabs EFM8 work well and are well-supported. Or you could jump to one of their EFM32 parts based on the Cortex-M0+ core.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2021, 10:50:26 pm »
Changing the MCU type/brand is really the last resort as it would mean months of work (code) down the drain :palm:

Seriously? months to change MCU? Is it all written in assembler...?
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Microdoser

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2021, 11:25:02 pm »

Not just the STM32. ATMega 328P, BME280, mosfets, resistors, even battery clips are on backorder.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf