Author Topic: Need component management software. Inventree? Partsbox? Anybody using these?  (Read 1483 times)

Offline Rat_PatrolTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
The biggest kicker is that I want to record lot numbers from the reels, and partsbox wants the premium membership for this feature. I'm not a linux guy at all, so inventree may be a rather steep learning curve?

Other options?

I just want to simply know what I have in inventory/storage, I don't need to know exactly how many are on the machine. Just barcode scan in/out, along with lot numbers, and hopefully date codes to make FIFO utilization easier. I don't need to tie into work orders or anything, as we make the same stuff over and over.

Offline SMTech

• Frequent Contributor
I've not used inventree but I don't think "Linux" should scare you off. They have a docker image so you have a quick way of getting up and running without needing a dedicated Linux machine if that's the bit that puts you off. I suspect it wouldn't be much more effort to install it under WSL either.

For the stock side of things, Inventree looks every bit as capable as the closed source application we use, without the lockin and migration difficulties.

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
Besides, Inventree is being actively developed, and the developers actually do pay attention to the issue tracker. This is worth a lot.

As far as deployment, well yes, it may be somewhat more difficult than a monolithic desktop app or a hosted service. It's not so much about being linux-specific, but about the whole concept behind getting it deployed.

They provide a docker-compose file, which, I believe, contains the section to start the database, if you don't already have one, and the app itself, so you have pretty much all configuration in one file, and their getting started docs should help you get going. But for best results you should read some introductory tutorials on docker and docker-compose. Inventree is a self-hosted web application, quite a different experience compared to your typical desktop software, so yes you will need to learn some new concepts. That's a good thing anyway, live and learn. It's not disposable knowledge, you'll be able to reuse it for something else later.

Offline loki42

• Frequent Contributor
We're using inventree basically as the ERP / MRP / MES for our company.  It's excellent.  There's a lot of stuff we're keen to add for our specific workflow but it's been pretty easy to add stuff.  The python and Web api is very easy to deal with and the mobile app is useful. I've got it integrated with my machines so they consume parts etc. We're using a lot of custom barcode functionality and plan to use more.

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
I'm not a linux guy at all, so inventree may be a rather steep learning curve?

at some point in the past i decided i wanted to try and keep an inventory of parts. Partkeepr seemed to be interesting, but all i knew about linux was installing a distro like ubuntu - even better, launching a live CD - play a game or two of Go and nothing else.

Take it as a learning exercise. I am getting more acquainted to linux as i mantain my git private server (gitea), also at work 
i'll look again at inventree, in the past the only think that was anything remotely complete and free and that could be ran on a private server was partkeepr, but it was really prone to database corruption. Then at some point the developer quit, then it was picked up and packed with personal drama from the new developer, then picked up by the community and i haven't looked at it un a year or so. Wonder if they finally managed to rewrite the bulk of it.

Offline Hamster

• Regular Contributor
i was toying with setting up partkeeper, but never finished setting it up after realizing all the parts i have an how unorganized it is :D

I should revisit now that i have a proper label machine and can box up parts in bags and catalog and store.
Arcade Board Repair Guru.  [ twitch: HammysHangout , youTube: Hammy Builds ]

Offline Rat_PatrolTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Well, I suppose I'll dive in to Inventree, see how that goes.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf