Author Topic: Need High End Top Notch PCB Manufacturer for Complex Flex PCB  (Read 2618 times)

Offline suppermanTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
All,

Are there any white glove top of the line PCB manufacturers in China or Taiwan or Korea or anywhere with lower than US prices? Or reasonably priced US places?

This is a very complex board and most places are turning me down. Of the places that are not turning me down I have US places quoting me $3-4k and Chinese places quoting me $1k. I know the US locations can make the board.. and the Chinese places probably can't and will suck up my time.

Is there something in-between? This is multi-layer flex at 3/3 mil and very tight everything..

Any recommendations are much appreciated!

• Regular Contributor
Re: Need High End Top Notch PCB Manufacturer for Complex Flex PCB
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 12:51:10 pm »
:( no response? Am I out of luck? Looking for that "they did this amazing flex board for me that no one else could do kind of tip..."

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 01:03:02 pm »
https://www.we-online.com/web/en/leiterplatten/willkommen_/Willkommen.php

They can do everything*. May be a lot cheaper than in the USA.

*not everything

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 01:38:40 pm »

*not everything

Funny.. thanks. I will check.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 01:43:02 pm »

*not everything

Actually I had looked at them before.. they can't do more than 2 layers on flex.. so my 4 layer board is out of their capabilities. (both via their online quote system and in their FAQ capabilities list) Perhaps I'm missing something?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 01:47:30 pm »
I take that back.. they have a really bad website.. when you dig deeper you can find docs with more layers.. I will contact them. Thanks.

Offline mon2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 05:47:02 pm »
Hi. Sorry to hear of your starting blues with the referrals in the other thread.

Still believe that Dawei will be able to build your flex pcb. If you wish, later today, can take a picture of our flex pcb we had them build for a WLCSP fan out PCB.

Have emailed both Dawei and Daphne and gave them a full thrashing with a wet noodle. I think they will follow up again if they have not done so already.

Still stand by both these companies as we have seen their work and it is worthwhile to fully investigate your project with each of them. As noted earlier, most of the vendors did not want to build our first flex PCB due to 'complexity' yet Dawei was able to handle the PCB files as-is.

We have nothing to gain from this recommendation but know all too well the pain you are experiencing in getting the job done.

Through the private messages, can share my full contact details and pictures of our flex PCB. Hope this helps.

Offline fcb

• Super Contributor
  • Test instrument designer/G1YWC
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 07:21:45 pm »
We had some really nice boards done in South Korea a few years back.  They were considerably less expensive than the UK.

Anecdotes from friends reckon there is little to touch the quality and consistency of SK boards unless you go mad with the cheque-book in UK/EU. YMMV.

https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

Offline mon2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2021, 07:33:44 pm »
Adding another contact who is a broker we have used for many years to work with Shennan Circuits. Shennan is considered perhaps the best in China. They are more costly than others but they build for the military and their capabilities are amazing. When Halogen Free laminates were first demanded from us by HP and Foxconn, this shop could support the requirements :

Henry Gu(古正国)
Green Partner Technology Group Ltd. 
深圳市鸿翔莱科技有限公司
B1203-2,1ST Building,Longgang Tianan Cyber Park,
-No.441,Huangge Road,Longcheng Street,Longgang,Shenzhen,China
Web: www.green-partner.com.cn
Tel: +86-755-26451937
Mobile: +86-13824369566
Fax: +86-755-26067649
Email: henrygu@green-partner.com.cn

Henry is very resourceful and is able to work with factories who need to deal with small orders. As noted in another thread, Suntak would not deal with us directly with a forecast of $500K / annual buy of PCBs. In such cases, you must work through brokers who will consolidate the orders in batches to keep the interest active with the PCB shop.

Another supplier we have used for years in South Korea is:

http://www.seilpcb.co.kr/

They have an agent in Canada:

Bill Smith
http://www.gpsi.ca/Contact-Us.htm

Consider to give Bill a call to discuss your needs. South Korea will be more costly than Taiwan and Taiwan will be more costly than China. However, varying with your needs, you may have to consider the proper fit for your needs.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 09:00:57 pm by mon2 »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 08:36:23 pm »
Hi. Sorry to hear of your starting blues with the referrals in the other thread.

Still believe that Dawei will be able to build your flex pcb. If you wish, later today, can take a picture of our flex pcb we had them build for a WLCSP fan out PCB.

Have emailed both Dawei and Daphne and gave them a full thrashing with a wet noodle. I think they will follow up again if they have not done so already.

Still stand by both these companies as we have seen their work and it is worthwhile to fully investigate your project with each of them. As noted earlier, most of the vendors did not want to build our first flex PCB due to 'complexity' yet Dawei was able to handle the PCB files as-is.

We have nothing to gain from this recommendation but know all too well the pain you are experiencing in getting the job done.

Through the private messages, can share my full contact details and pictures of our flex PCB. Hope this helps.

Daphne did reach out to me this AM / her late PM.. that was a first, so thanks. (perhaps because of you). They quoted around $1k which is in line for China. Thanks also for the other referral. I can't even tell you how much I appreciated this!  I have Wurth in Germany taking a look.. but they will probably come in high on price. US is $4.5k at the same quantities as the Chinese bid and will not budge. For me that is way past my pain threshold since I'm still self funding the prototype...

(and if anyone sending me quotes is reading this forum.. I'm not keeping things a secret.. I just want my board done for a price I can afford :)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2021, 08:54:24 pm »
We had some really nice boards done in South Korea a few years back.  They were considerably less expensive than the UK.

Anecdotes from friends reckon there is little to touch the quality and consistency of SK boards unless you go mad with the cheque-book in UK/EU. YMMV.

Do you have a link? Name? "SK Boards" did not produce anything..

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 12:57:49 pm »
Turns out Wuerth can do it.. but they came in higher than my US quotes... :(

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 01:45:45 pm »
Turns out Wuerth can do it.. but they came in higher than my US quotes... :(
Well, thats the way it is.

Offline fcb

• Super Contributor
  • Test instrument designer/G1YWC
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 06:07:24 pm »

Do you have a link? Name? "SK Boards" did not produce anything..
Sorry.  SK=South Korea, not a name of manufacturer.  I'm loathed to give a recommendation for a particular SK manufacturer as it was a few years back.

Not placed any work with a PCB broker - whenever they (insert generic PCB broker name) asked to do a quote and I've obliged they've typically been 100-200% more than we can source directly. I'm surprised they still exist, perhaps they have mates in big-co purchasing depts. ::)
https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

Offline 1design

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 06:13:15 pm »
I worked on a very custom mmW PCB front end project in the past and I can highly recommend these two Swiss companies:

https://optiprint.ch/en/
https://www.varioprint.ch/en/

They are extremely professional and if they say they can deliver, they do deliver.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2021, 02:41:11 am »
I worked on a very custom mmW PCB front end project in the past and I can highly recommend these two Swiss companies:

https://optiprint.ch/en/
https://www.varioprint.ch/en/

They are extremely professional and if they say they can deliver, they do deliver.

Thanks. I reached out to them. I'm sure they can do it.. but probably also expensive..
I think I'm just going to have to redesign the board..

Offline 1design

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2021, 08:10:34 pm »
How did it go?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf