Electronics > Manufacturing & Assembly

Need to rent work-space for electronics soldering

<< < (11/12) > >>

ebastler:

--- Quote from: Faringdon on July 06, 2022, 04:38:37 pm ---Also, the workspace owners want "Full name and email address of someone to witness the licence."
...my friends dont want to offer their names and emails, in case something goes wrong and they become liable......is there any way round this? (not having a "witness")?

--- End quote ---

Not being a native speaker, I am probably not the best person to comment -- but here goes:

It seems to me that what your friends are concerned about is that they do not want be be a guarantor for your lease. (And rightfully so, in my opinion -- that's not something one should ask friends to do, if one values their friendship, because that could result in potentially serious financial obligations.)

As a witness, the only thing they could be asked to do at some point is to confirm that this contract was indeed signed by you. (And not someone else impersonating you, or by the landlord himself making up an imaginary tenant.) The only way I can see that putting a strain on your friendship would be if you try to weasel out of the contract in a few months, claiming that you never signed it -- which, I trust, is not on the horizon.

mariush:
You could probably also try to rent a garage, it may be cheaper.
Some have electricity. If not see below...

I also read a post from some time ago where you said you were concerned about causing shorts and causing fuse popping and all that, not wanting to use electricity

Sounds to me like this could be resolved by using an UPS or a big power bank with AC inverter built in... top up the ups/power bank, disconnect from mains and you can solder without worry you'd trip something.
Or you could just get a fold-able desk and go outside the city somewhere and work outside with power from battery bank.

Maybe find someone in your neighborhood that bough a garage but crashed / totaled their car or maybe they no longer have car and rent the garage from them.

Do some thinking about places without electricity you could use (in case buying a power bank or something would be an option)

mikeselectricstuff:

--- Quote from: Faringdon on July 06, 2022, 04:38:37 pm ---
Basically, there's no way of knowing if the council thinks its got a "rateable value" of >£12000 or not.......i mean i can write to them (i have done already)....but the answer may take time.

--- End quote ---
You can look up rateable values here https://www.gov.uk/find-business-rates

--- Quote ---Also, the workspace owners want "Full name and email address of someone to witness the licence."

--- End quote ---
Ask them what they mean - what "licence" exactly ?
Could just be a statement that you aren't a business

Faringdon:
Hi,
The Studio (workspace) is 24.252m^2 (2.214m by 9.091m), but the government website doesnt allow you to calculate the rates from this.

Do you reckon we're talking £10,000/yr,   £30000/yr , £50000/yr or £100000/yr?

--- Quote ---The only way I can see that putting a strain on your friendship would be if you try to weasel out of the contract in a few months, claiming that you never signed it -- which, I trust, is not on the horizon.
--- End quote ---
Thanks, this place is just 4weeks notice to leave......so i can leave any time, as long as i give 4 weeks notice.

jpanhalt:
So what's the problem?  Just pay an additional 4 weeks advance in addition to the 1-month advance that is probably required (i.e., you pay at or before the month for the next month.

If you have agreed on the lease price, then rent the damn place.  Why not?  Surely, you can calculate the rent per m^2 from that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version