Author Topic: Neoden 4 pick and place  (Read 596276 times)

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
Re: Neoden 4 pick and place
« Reply #1525 on: November 30, 2021, 01:30:26 pm »
We just purchased a NeoDen4 which arrived on Monday.
I have been setting the machine up and initially it worked well, but we have started to notice some errors in its operation.
Any ideas?
You buy a brand new machine. Contact the distributor!

Offline philby

• Contributor
« Reply #1526 on: November 30, 2021, 10:37:35 pm »
HI Philby

Where about are your based? Are you in the UK?

I managed to solve my issue, by calibrating my nozzles and then using the fiducial on each PCB, rather then just the panel?

I am located in Australia.

I have calibrated my nozzels and using the fiducials.

I had another play with it this morning. I tried plugging the keyboard and mouse into different USB ports. It's difficult to tell for sure, but it seemed to help reduce the number of errors I am getting, but errors are still too frequent to be practical. It definitely feels like a software/driver issue rather than an issue with the hardware.

You buy a brand new machine. Contact the distributor!

Thank you. I have already done this, but in the spirit of resolving the issue quickly I was hoping someone else may have had this issue before and have a quick fix they could suggest.

Offline philby

• Contributor
« Reply #1527 on: December 01, 2021, 03:43:48 am »
Hi all,

We just purchased a NeoDen4 which arrived on Monday.

I have been setting the machine up and initially it worked well, but we have started to notice some errors in its operation. All the problems are with the head operation.
1)   Sometimes the downwards facing camera takes a “black” photo (i.e. no image).
2)   Sometimes the pick nozzle does not respond. It sometimes is held down and can only be released by turning off the machine. Other times, it does not drop down even when using the manual test mode.
3)   Sometimes the downward facing camera flash does not turn off. The flash remains on continually.

The other parts of the machine (feeders, peelers, XY movement, rail control, upwards facing camera) all work without issue.

Any ideas? It feels like a software/driver bug because sometimes the test buttons in the “manual test“ tab work then just randomly stop working.

I think I have fixed the issue. Initially I was using a standard screen LCD (4:3), but changed to wide screen (16:9) LCD to make programming the machine easier. I only started having/noticing issues after changing to the wide screen. I changed back to the standard screen and the issues went away. Fingers crossed.

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #1528 on: February 24, 2022, 07:40:58 pm »
Anyone worked with Cadence Allegro PCB/OrCAD board parts placement files exported to Neoden 4 or S1?
Looking for a possible options to get SMT assembly and trying to see what issues might be ahead.
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1529 on: February 26, 2022, 05:51:49 pm »
Anyone worked with Cadence Allegro PCB/OrCAD board parts placement files exported to Neoden 4 or S1?
Looking for a possible options to get SMT assembly and trying to see what issues might be ahead.
Really, if you know how to write programs in any reasonable language, this shouldn't be too hard.
I had a Philips CSM84 P&P (made by Yamaha) some years ago, and recently upgraded to a Quad QSA30A (made by Samsung).
Both take ASCII text files for part placement info.  I use Protel 99SE (predecessor to Altium ) and it produces an ASCII text file with
part designator, part type, X Y and rotation.  The program reads a component file that names all the different part types and gives a feeder location for each.
Then, it reads the Protel P&P file, and matches each part type to the info from the component file.  Also, the component file has a rotation offset to deal with different rotations of the component in the tapes.  Then, it outputs a file in the form the P&P machine wants it.
The Philips was a simple machine, it did it in the order of the file, no auto nozzle changer.  The Quad has an "optimizer" that figures out the best order to assemble in, deciding when to change the nozzles, and allowing for picking up parts on all nozzles at one time.
Jon

The following users thanked this post: TiN

Offline TankSparks

• Contributor
Re: Neoden 4 vacuum values
« Reply #1530 on: March 29, 2022, 01:23:19 am »
Can anybody with a Neoden 4 tell me what you are getting for vacuum values
Test done in test mode with my finger tip on blocking nozzle tip
I'm getting
nozzle
1  = -68
2 = -92
3 = -75
4 = -84

For Blow
1 = 10
2 = 13
3 = 8
4 = 9

I don't remember what the values were when it was new

Offline hoooooonza

« Reply #1531 on: May 21, 2022, 07:01:01 pm »
Can anyone explain me coordinate system of Neoden 4? We are playing with one slightly used machine ane we are lost.

I would like to know the relationship between Pick angle (from feeder setup) and Rotation (placement file).

Many people recalculate CAD coordinates to machine coordinates, but we were able to make it work using aligned first component + fiducial marks. We also can place parts but the work on feeders is like "hmm bad orientation, I will try to add minus to the Pick angle" - so who understands it?  ;D

Offline radikn

« Reply #1532 on: June 13, 2022, 11:37:26 am »
Hi hoooooonza, write me an email. Address is neoden4@r-n.cz. I will call you. It is faster then write.

Radikn

Offline Alx

« Reply #1533 on: June 15, 2022, 08:17:25 am »
Hello everyone
Does anyone have the latest Neoden 4 update?
Thanks for uploading here

Offline Tonny-NeoDen

• Contributor
« Reply #1534 on: June 17, 2022, 01:16:26 am »
@Alx 

The NeoDen4 latest software can be download via below link:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/x9nlg9wyu0jmxkr8alfa6/h?dl=0&rlkey=fpbgg9knn1xhazf2gklbsiza2

--
Tonny-NeoDen
Senior Sales Engineer,
tonny@neodentech.com

The following users thanked this post: Alx, Harriet_Li

Offline Alx

« Reply #1535 on: June 20, 2022, 01:33:24 pm »
@Alx 

The NeoDen4 latest software can be download via below link:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/x9nlg9wyu0jmxkr8alfa6/h?dl=0&rlkey=fpbgg9knn1xhazf2gklbsiza2

--
Tonny-NeoDen
Senior Sales Engineer,
tonny@neodentech.com

Hello dear
  Thank you for your attention

Offline hoooooonza

« Reply #1536 on: June 22, 2022, 08:34:19 pm »
We will run some job on friday, so I will test it for you. Sorry for the delay.

Jan

Offline pakakezu

• Contributor
« Reply #1537 on: November 22, 2022, 01:07:19 pm »
Updated to this version. Cool new features, however.
Image recognition became significantly slower especially if Individual is selected.

Offline TankSparks

• Contributor
« Reply #1538 on: December 05, 2022, 03:58:25 am »
I have latest version installed...What are the cool new features?
Retries still stuck at 6 and not adjustable,  dumping 6 expensive chips on the floor and getting the legs bent!!!
Camera setting is still Global and not per feeder/part,  can't get it right for the two ICs I'm using.

Offline 48X24X48X

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rocket Scream
« Reply #1539 on: December 05, 2022, 05:14:19 am »
Probably because the built-in controller has limited memory to implement those stuff per feeder? It's going to full 8 years since Neoden 4 came into the market, I think it already hit it's own limit.

Offline cederom

« Reply #1540 on: January 07, 2023, 04:10:27 am »
Can NeoDen4 pick bulk single components like various capacitors from a bulk slot or only single bulk component like IC?

I know Mechatronika PnP can pick one of many single components from a bulk slot. That sounds like a perfect match for a rapid prototyping of a single board!

Yes I heard bad opinions on Mechatronika but also on NeoDen4 :-)

I also know that NeoDen YY1 can pick single component out of many components from a bulk slot.. but I also heard disastrous opinions on them, so my choice goes between NeoDen4 or Mechatronika :-)

Offline JURP

• Contributor
« Reply #1541 on: January 07, 2023, 01:33:07 pm »
Neoden4 - 2019-2020 did not have this function.
Probably still not now, some owner has to answer that.
Are you really insisting on this feature? Yes, I liked it too, but it didn't get priority in the end.
My advice: prefer more feeders, and even more feeders (preferably CL, or equivalent).
Note: how much money is available? Because the price of an M10V in a smaller setup will buy you 2.5pcs of Neoden4 (new machine prices).

Offline pakakezu

• Contributor
« Reply #1542 on: January 18, 2023, 03:34:44 pm »
Things we found useful:
1. On the mount window preparing to replace component button moves the place head from the camera. So when parts run out next to the camera is not impossible to install the new reel.
2. The mystery checkbox next to this button Component D: If a pick failure occurs the beep and pause is longer giving a chance to see what is the problem and eventually stop before a ton of components are feeded out.
3. I find the colored crosshair in the preview helpful.

Problems:
1.Feed/peel inconsistency, feeder calibration i feel that is still inaccurate. no idea why.
2.Peeler gears started to crack. Almost all of them i had to replace with 3D printed pars.
3.Stop on the first problem is really lacking. Like you say dropping expensive parts.
4.This version sometimes outright crashes. (once every 3 days)
5.For some reason sometimes component feeding occurs moment before picking up the part, while peeling is still in progress. Trying to pick while the foil is still in place. Missing that component.
6.I still hate the chaotic and unpredictable nature of component picking/ placing.  I try to batch parts so the machine does not travel to the left side only for one component, but is really random how ends up.
7. All pick failures should be logged. Not only when the machine is stopped.

Offline satoshi

• Contributor
« Reply #1543 on: February 16, 2023, 10:15:45 pm »
Can NeoDen4 pick bulk single components like various capacitors from a bulk slot or only single bulk component like IC?

I know Mechatronika PnP can pick one of many single components from a bulk slot. That sounds like a perfect match for a rapid prototyping of a single board!

I also know that NeoDen YY1 can pick single component out of many components from a bulk slot.. but I also heard disastrous opinions on them, so my choice goes between NeoDen4 or Mechatronika :-)

Neoden 4 can't do it, at least with the current software. I bought a Mechatronika M10V and the bulk picking feature works very reliably. I have now two bulk feeder trays so that I can load one while the machine is working. It gives a lot of flexibility but not a lot of speed or a good man/machine ratio.

Offline McSolderblob

« Reply #1544 on: July 20, 2023, 06:19:08 pm »
Hi all together  :D

So this is my first post on this forum as i bought recently a neoden 4 pick and place machine.
I dont have much experience in terms of pick and place machinery and was used to hand placing before...

Im still struggeling a bit with the basic usage of the device, so maybe ill briefly explain how im actually using
the machine at the moment:

PCB Layout is done in KiCAD and POS file is generated. Then i create a new project file on the NeoDen4. After
the Rail Setup is complete and it found its board, i add a first component and localised it on the board. Then i
add these coordiantes to the panelisation as i wanted to use a 1x1 panel. Then i added the positions of the fiducials.

When i now import my KiCAD POS file, the neoden is simply taking the raw KiCAD positions without any adaption
to the coordinates of the board i just entered? So i helped myself by adding a coordinate recalculation to my conversion
tool, which now calculates all xy coordinates based on the coordinates of the first component. So when i use such a
prepared file, everything works quite nice. The board and the fiducials are detected automatically, once all parts are set-up,
but i think im doing something wrong here?  :-//

Offline MR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1545 on: July 20, 2023, 09:36:53 pm »

Neoden 4 can't do it, at least with the current software. I bought a Mechatronika M10V and the bulk picking feature works very reliably. I have now two bulk feeder trays so that I can load one while the machine is working. It gives a lot of flexibility but not a lot of speed or a good man/machine ratio.

I can really tell you do not get a Mechatronika. If you buy that you are within their environment, very limited and all you can do is throw more money after them.

And Mechatronika customers, just open the head camera cover, to watch the 10$ jumpwired camera where they scratched legs of the QFP from the PCB to jumpwire it with a potentiometer and oscillator. I have seen that at 3 customers so far.
I have replaced the camera at some point with a chinese CVBS camera with OSD menu, it worked flawlessly.
Most chinese PNP machines use AHD (full frame higher resolution) cameras nowadays. Some AHD cameras also support CVBS.
AHD cameras will be faster since they are not interlaced - like CVBS. The CVBS resolution 720x576 (PAL) is absolutely okay for component detection; an interlaced picture needs 2 half frames to form a full frame.
On the MX80 we even traced their crap windows application that they triggered component photos a little bit too early on their flying camera setup and that caused component  drops. Without having full control to the software it's difficult to fix such problems.
during movement interlacing looks like this:

It's over 20 year old technology.

After a 10K EUR service where they replaced the motors and all the electronics they did not fix the pulley properly which caused the entire portal to oscillate. Also part of it was a new camera (I was expecting non-interlaced but they just continue with the same shit, so absolutely worthless)
This is not a user error (which they always use to claim and they try to find excuses for their failures).
They claimed that the new motors are faster - however the observed speed was just just the same, other M80 machines even performed faster than our one initially due to different configuration. They did not care about doing a proper setup after the expensive upgrade.
Stepper motors on the M10V cost around 50$/piece on Digikey (we checked that last time)

The feeders are just 2 stepper motors, one pushing a plate with solenoid stubs forward - retracting is done via gravity, and some plastic tapes can lock up an entire feeder box. 2 Steppers for 14-20 lanes, while they charge like 200$ per lane.

To work around I have installed pneumatic CL feeder on the machine, which solved that problem. I controlled the CL Feeder via USB with my own software, no need to go through their system.
Mechatronika dropped the support for us so I reverse engineered the entire machine 5 years ago - directly after their full service.

I re-designed their nozzles back then and manufactured 10 pieces, each of them cost around 10$.; Mechatronika charges almost 100$, their shady distributors 170-200$; material cost is maybe around 20 cent.
The last nozzle we ordered/they delivered was clogged with dirt, again for the price it's not acceptable. Though, there's no runout on them, it's just a piece of soft steel with a stainless needle of a syring attached.

Their software is very bad, there's no multiselect available to place multiple selected components at once, placing one component needs like 4-5 mouseclicks. The optical recognition has permanently failed for an onsemi tssop on our side and one 0402 capacitor did not work, the shape was rounded and there were different kind of reflections and the edges looked a little bit inconsistent under the camera.
However I was able to solve all those issues with our software.
I have written my own software for it and use opencv, the component drops have minimised and the placing quality also has improved.

Mechatronika is not using an affine transformation for matching the component location on a PCB which is another disadvantage. They use two reference points for component alignment which means they are only using trigonometry to adjust the position; that is the highest level of math used in their application.
The affine transformation is a very handy way to map component locations to a PCB and it's the most accurate way.
If I'd buy another commercial machine this would be a requirement for me.

To buy their machine just for loose component picking is like walking on very thin ice.

I stopped using the machine 3 years ago since I moved to another country, I have built another machine myself and use the software which I have written for the MX80 with that new DIY machine now. I also built 8mm electronic feeders myself.
I'm still working on the new machine, and goal is to add 8 heads, currently only one is installed; My software is already prepared for multihead.
Maybe once I go back where the MX80 is I might add more PNP heads to it as well.

The price of their machines and the service does not match up, it's a company from Poland charging prices from the west, but delivering poor effective support.
We were under stress to manufacture our products back then and Mechatronika just did not care, even though we have paid a lot money to them. The oscillating gantry and not fixing this problem by themselves after getting notified is a big no go.
We increased the tension on the belt of the Y axis first - which increased the friction of the entire system and worked to a certain degree but only fixing the pulley on the Y axis motor itself (which required heavy lifting) solved the problem.

We always gave them the chance to fix it - we proposed that they should fly to us instead us flying to them for a useless training.
But we also warned them to disclose the experience with them if they won't act and fix the problems we experience, they decided it's better to publish the experience we had instead of looking at the root causes (which never was missing training).

HASL based PCB surfaces don't work well with their camera, fiducials will bounce the light outside the camera leaving an uneven spot on the screen. you can wrap a foil around the camera and form a tunnel for the light to the PCB, this worked as a workaround.
If fiducials or marks cannot be seen properly by the camera fiducial detection will not work properly and panels cannot be placed.
Again no statement from this shady polish company about this issue back then.

There is a chance that their pick and place machine works properly with your project - but there are some components which cannot work well with their machines due to differences of the component belt, and some components cannot be handled with their optical recognition implementation due to inflexibility. And since Mechatronika doesn't care about supporting that it might be a go or no go for you.

Don't say I did not warn you ;-)

The MX80 they used to sell this machine incl. feeder for 40-60K USD... and that's what you get from Poland:

picture from another customer:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 07:40:49 am by MR »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf