Author Topic: NeoDen YY1 Pick And Place Machine With Under $3K Price for Hobbiest/Low vol Usag  (Read 69613 times)

Offline dkonigs

• Regular Contributor
Right now it sounds like their only reason is that they don't want to write instructions for plugging in an STLink dongle, or couldn't be bothered to write some sort of bootloader that could install updates off a microSD card or USB stick.

I think they are protecting their code.
I told them that I probably wouldn't buy one because of this and they are fine with that. And they know how much public exposure I can bring them. So don't expect them to change their stance on this.

Brymen do the same thing, although they do trust dealers like me with the HEX file under NDA.

Someone with spare boards leftover from past upgrades could absolutely test this.  They'd just have to see if code readout protection was actually enabled on the microcontroller.

Of course its still possible to protect the code without limiting distribution, by using some sort of cryptographic method within the update process. But that would require a fancy bootloader to install updates, and obviously requires a lot more engineering effort than they want to put in to this.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Of course its still possible to protect the code without limiting distribution, by using some sort of cryptographic method within the update process. But that would require a fancy bootloader to install updates, and obviously requires a lot more engineering effort than they want to put in to this.

You'd usually only go to that effort for a high volume more consumer oriented product.

Offline BTI_LTD

• Betz Technik Industries Ltd.
We've had ours for about 8 months. I have designed and manufactured components (heads, frame systems, etc.) for openpnp users for years so my expectations were quite tempered. Precise, repeatable motion is hard. I have to say that we are very happy with this little machine, and with dealing with Neoden in general. I was messaging Tonny the other night about completely custom tape feeder modules and custom strip tape holders and they were happy to oblige.

We created a YouTube video on it when we got it, setup and initial tests etc. I have footage for a follow-up video where we pull the YY1 out of the cupboard after sitting in there for 2 months, turn it on and just try and assemble our boards with no other preparatory action.

There are certainly some math issues hiding in the firmware, but overall it has done all we ask of it. We assemble about 54 PCBs in a sitting, which after setup, pasting, flowing, mucking around (deciding to tweak some things along the way) is about a 6 to 8 hour process. We used to spend that long just preparing our old PnP to run these jobs. Feeders have been great for us. Maybe twice we've had to switch out the little friction parts on the peelers when they pull the tape instead of just the cover tape.

One outstanding 'issue' is that we cant get it to place TQFP 48 processors perfectly, at least 50% of them need a slight bump with a steady hand and tweezers. I have not asked Neoden about this as it is not a major concern for us, I did not actually expect those to be perfect every time on a $3000 machine.

I agree that not being able to update firmware remotely is a major detractor, but we've been happy with ours as-is, and if some major changes happen we are ok to spent $200 on parts to make it happen.

Regards,
Peter.

Offline level6

• Regular Contributor
I have been rather pleased with my YY1 also. Once you understand its quirks and limitations, it's actually a nice little machine.

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
We created a YouTube video on it when we got it, setup and initial tests etc. I have footage for a follow-up video where we pull the YY1 out of the cupboard after sitting in there for 2 months, turn it on and just try and assemble our boards with no other preparatory action.
Can you pls share a link to the video?

Offline alpelectronics

• Contributor
Exactly. I find it perfect for 0603. For 0402, there shouldnt be so many board in one panel. Because the head drifts. For 0201 I guess, there should be only one board at a time.

I have been rather pleased with my YY1 also. Once you understand its quirks and limitations, it's actually a nice little machine.

Offline BTI_LTD

• Betz Technik Industries Ltd.
Here is the first video. I have not finished the follow-up one yet.

https://youtu.be/DDgkHmDhd_Q?si=OjyvRT-HFJlTlGFR

Peter.

Offline electronx

• Regular Contributor
Can someone share demo P&P files ?

Offline Tonny-NeoDenTopic starter

• Contributor

The following users thanked this post: electronx

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf