Author Topic: Practical DIY or modest cost Vapor Phase - does it exist yet?  (Read 9967 times)

orin, arvidj and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
Re: Practical DIY or modest cost Vapor Phase - does it exist yet?
« Reply #175 on: November 11, 2019, 06:52:39 pm »
Would something like a 20q/l roasting oven be a useful starting place? 
too shallow unless you are willing to loose Galden, which is much more expensive than that oven.

Actually, maybe not.  My work with using the frying pan says that you can have a shallow pan.  The galden is actually reletively contronable.   that is not the problem that you solve with using a deep container.    Using the deep container lets you build MUCH better profiles, becuase you can build the elevator platform. That is the game changer.   I had avoided it, because I could not come up with a mechanically simple way to build it.  What Lukas05 has done is come up with a mechanically simple way to make it work. That is the game changer.

I scoured Aliexpress looking for a deep Dish, and have failed. :-(

On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline pisoiu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #176 on: November 11, 2019, 08:15:12 pm »

Same here with aliexpress but there may be another way. I made some tests with that kind of rectangular containers which are used to serve icecream and food in malls. Don't know what they are called. But that format has maximum 200mm depth. I wanted deeper and I was able to find at a local dealer of stainless steel supplies. Among other things (tubes, bars, various containers), they sell containers for dish washing in restaurants. I find those suitable, they are quite big, and they have another feature, the bottom is slightly sloped, which in my opinion is a good thing to use the deepest part for heater.
Check this pdf: http://www.italinox.ro/images/pdf/gastronorm.pdf , at page 4 and 5 you will find them. Texts are in Romanian but images and drawings are self explanatory. Walls are 1mm thick and 330mm depth seem ok for this application.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #178 on: November 11, 2019, 10:41:16 pm »
rectangular containers which are used to serve icecream and food in malls. Don't know what they are called. But that format has maximum 200mm depth.
those are standard for the horeca and called Gastronorm.

You can use it as the base that contains the fluid and get a stainless steel plate chassis welded upon it as high as you want.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #179 on: November 11, 2019, 11:11:43 pm »
Really ?  :o

Dish as opposed to Pot.  Being round, it makes it difficult to attached flat plate water coolers ( as used for GPU's etc ) which are readily avaialble and cost effective.     It seems that Gastronorms max out at 200mm deep.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #180 on: November 12, 2019, 05:24:40 pm »

Same here with aliexpress but there may be another way. I made some tests with that kind of rectangular containers which are used to serve icecream and food in malls. Don't know what they are called. But that format has maximum 200mm depth. I wanted deeper and I was able to find at a local dealer of stainless steel supplies. Among other things (tubes, bars, various containers), they sell containers for dish washing in restaurants. I find those suitable, they are quite big, and they have another feature, the bottom is slightly sloped, which in my opinion is a good thing to use the deepest part for heater.
Check this pdf: http://www.italinox.ro/images/pdf/gastronorm.pdf , at page 4 and 5 you will find them. Texts are in Romanian but images and drawings are self explanatory. Walls are 1mm thick and 330mm depth seem ok for this application.

Yes, it seems that the 'Gastronorm' maxes out at 200mm.  They all come in standard sizes.

Offline Lukas05

« Reply #181 on: Yesterday at 11:12:52 pm »
Hi,

since some of you liked the project, I thought I would continue documenting the progress :)

A problem occured in the last run of the vapor phase oven. The container is sealed pretty good at the moment. There is only a small hole in the side wall for the heating element cables.
This poses a problem when it comes to pressure equalisation. The relatively cold PCB is lowered into the vapor phase. A lot of the gas condenses onto the cold surface in the first few seconds.
This causes the pressure in the system to drop, and air from the outside rushes into the chamber. This by itself isn´t a problem. But it gets problematic when lifting the hot PCB out of the vapor phase.
By lifting up the hot board into cooler parts of the chamber, the pressure rises. This causes galden vapor to get pushed out of the chamber. This of course means unwanted galden loss over time.
Currently I´m designing sorf of a reflux condenser. This will probably just be a 6mm copper pipe bent into an air cooled coil. The galden condenses in the pipe, and flows back into the container, while also providing a controlled pressure equalization.

I´m goint to verify this design in a FEM simulation. I´ve already startet so simulate parts of the project, to get some ideas of the material stresses and also transient behaviour of the system.
This will also be the foundation along with the measurements for the temperature profile regulator. I will post the results once I have calculated them through.

The post process of the coupled cfd simulation looks beautiful already I think :)
Here you can see the convection of the galden until 30 seconds after turning on the heating element.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136915492@N02/49070612068/in/dateposted/
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:14:24 pm by Lukas05 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf