Author Topic: Pace ADS200 soldering station  (Read 360754 times)

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
Re: Newest Pace ADS200 soldering station. Production-grade quality for about $200
« Reply #1100 on: October 02, 2019, 08:16:59 am »
Pace tin their tips (some are more obvious than others). That tip though appears to have been powered on for a bit (barrel has light patina which gets darker over time). It seems no fresh solder coat has been applied since it was manufactured. So unused but heated.

I would heat the tip to about 300C/600F and wipe it a few times in brass wool and then immediately apply fresh solder over the entire wettable half of the chisel. Then repeat this several times. If it takes solder and cleans up nice and shiny in brass wool then the tips working perfectly and you're good to go.

This is exactly the same process you should follow on a new tip anyway. Then leave some fresh solder on the tip when you aren't using it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 08:24:29 am by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

The following users thanked this post: PACE-Worldwide, Maconi

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
Re: Newest Pace ADS200 soldering station. Production-grade quality for about $200
« Reply #1101 on: October 02, 2019, 11:11:13 am »
Is it normal for the tips to come pre-tinned? I just bought an ADS200 and the Chisel tip that I bought with it looks like it's been used while the Conical Sharp tip looks completely clean. Just wondering if that's standard (this is my first nice solder station, sorry for the newb question). Gallery below:

https://imgur.com/a/PNkFXtz

I bought it from Tequipment so I assume they know what they're doing although the packaging for the tips were a bit poor (the tips were just thrown into the larger box that the ADS200 box was placed in, causing both tips to bang around and come out of their plastic housings in shipping).

Hi Maconi,

Shock is correct. All of PACE Tip-Heater Cartridges are coated with a pure tin coating as standard. Concerning the "used" look of the tip, most tips are quality tested in a fixture that briefly energizes the tip to ensure it is indeed working properly -- this test may discolor the heating element a bit, depending on the amount of time the tip is left in the fixture. The result is varying degrees of coloration depending on whether a particular tip has been tested or not, it's size (we test the larger Ultra-Performance Tips like the one in the image you posted more often) and the duration of it's time being energized during the final test. And I agree, they don't always look pristine ... we'll try to work on that. But the tip performance itself is not in any way degraded.

Concerning the packaging, this is a common complaint about the packaging methods used by Tequipment, one of our authorized distributors. And it will be a point of discussion today when I meet with the Corporate Sales Manager, who is the prime interface with Tequipment.

Thanks for the comments,

Aaron

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews, jivaei, labjr, Maconi

Offline dkggpeters

• Contributor
« Reply #1102 on: October 02, 2019, 05:48:06 pm »
Is it normal for the tips to come pre-tinned? I just bought an ADS200 and the Chisel tip that I bought with it looks like it's been used while the Conical Sharp tip looks completely clean. Just wondering if that's standard (this is my first nice solder station, sorry for the newb question). Gallery below:

I bought it from Tequipment so I assume they know what they're doing although the packaging for the tips were a bit poor (the tips were just thrown into the larger box that the ADS200 box was placed in, causing both tips to bang around and come out of their plastic housings in shipping).

Hi Maconi,

Shock is correct. All of PACE Tip-Heater Cartridges are coated with a pure tin coating as standard. Concerning the "used" look of the tip, most tips are quality tested in a fixture that briefly energizes the tip to ensure it is indeed working properly -- this test may discolor the heating element a bit, depending on the amount of time the tip is left in the fixture. The result is varying degrees of coloration depending on whether a particular tip has been tested or not, it's size (we test the larger Ultra-Performance Tips like the one in the image you posted more often) and the duration of it's time being energized during the final test. And I agree, they don't always look pristine ... we'll try to work on that. But the tip performance itself is not in any way degraded.

Concerning the packaging, this is a common complaint about the packaging methods used by Tequipment, one of our authorized distributors. And it will be a point of discussion today when I meet with the Corporate Sales Manager, who is the prime interface with Tequipment.

Thanks for the comments,

Aaron

I noticed the same thing on a couple of large chisel tips I just received.  I figured it was due to testing as well as that is what I heard.

Ok, Aaron, I just received my second ADS200 and am waiting for those tweezers.  Just giving you a hard time.

The following users thanked this post: PACE-Worldwide

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1103 on: October 02, 2019, 05:58:58 pm »
I had waited for all the bugs to be ironed out of the ADS200 before I bought one. I originally spoke to Patrick at Tequipment, who I think was their Pace guy. Very knowledgeable. Was a pleasure to talk with. They said he was not available with when I called with a couple of questions before ordering. Not sure if he changed positions or left the company.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 07:52:07 pm by labjr »

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #1104 on: October 02, 2019, 07:48:25 pm »
I had waited for all the bugs to be ironed out of the ADS200 before I bought one. I originally spoke to Patrick at Tequipment, who I think was their Pace guy. Very knowledgeable. Was a pleasure to talk with. They said he was not available with when I called with a couple of questions before I ordering. Not sure if he changed positions or left the company.

Patrick Mullaney is one of the Managers at Tequipment and I think he manages the PACE product line, among others. I'm pretty sure he's still there. I'm surprised you were able to talk to him since Tequipment usually assigns one of their Inside Sales reps to speak to customers. They have a team of people to just answer questions and help with orders. But Patrick would definitely know more about the PACE line than the Inside Sales team.

Aaron

Offline Maconi

« Reply #1105 on: October 03, 2019, 04:14:12 am »

Thanks for the replies all. I wasn't too worried about it but figured posting wouldn't hurt. It's a huge upgrade over what I've used my whole life (cheap, direct-to-wall irons) so I'm looking forward to playing with it soon.  ;D

Offline PhilB

• Contributor
« Reply #1106 on: October 30, 2019, 06:24:39 pm »

Wow, this forum is a heck of a resource.  I was at the local electronics store getting some components, and thought I would look at soldering stations.  They had the Weber WE1010, but I wasn't sure it would meet my needs, so the research started.

All roads led to this forum and its videos. 

I had it down to basically the Hakko FX-951, but this thread and others convinced me to get the Pace ADS200.  It's actually cheaper here (Canada, from Accessotronik), is actually on sale with an offer to include two tips, the tips are cheaper, and I personally like an aluminium body.  Those were my two front-runners for advanced hobbyist stations.

After many years of soldering (first diploma (CEGEP, for those who know what that is) in the 90s was as an electronics technician, then I worked as a professional mechanic, and am now a software developer. I am also a musician, so lots of cables, pedals, etc), I'm finally going to enjoy something better than just a regular always-on pen (I have several, in many different wattages, including a butane one, which was great on vehicles, just to not have to move a cord).   

Hopefully it gets here soon, I just ordered this morning.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, PACE-Worldwide

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1107 on: October 30, 2019, 10:11:51 pm »
Welcome and Congrats on the new soldering station! I hope I'll have mine forever. Well worth the investment. Definitely better than investing in a cell phone. I'll be using mine to work on PA equipment, old guitar amps and jukeboxes etc.

I've had a Portasol butane iron for over 25 years. I don't use it much anymore but it came in handy when I was doing car audio. It still has the original tip. Always reminded me of trying to light one of those pocket warmers in Boy Scouts. Maybe that's why you were thinking of Weber?  ;D

Offline PhilB

• Contributor
« Reply #1108 on: October 30, 2019, 11:17:48 pm »
Doh...I also do a lot of barbecuing, and my main snooker is a Weber kettle converted to a Smokey Mountain-like bullet smoker.

Obviously, that's was a Weller WE1010 I was talking about.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1109 on: October 31, 2019, 05:41:54 am »
Wow, this forum is a heck of a resource.  I was at the local electronics store getting some components, and thought I would look at soldering stations.  They had the Weber WE1010, but I wasn't sure it would meet my needs, so the research started.
All roads led to this forum and its videos. 

Welcome, and enjoy your new station.

The following users thanked this post: PhilB

Offline neo_

• Contributor
« Reply #1110 on: November 03, 2019, 03:05:04 am »
A few basic questions, I'm a (new) confused Pace customer and looking for guidance.

I recently acquired a bare Pace MBT301 station and I need help in the direction to go in...

I'm planning to buy various compatible desoldering hand pieces that make use of the MBT301 vacuum port such as the SX-100 Sodr-X-Tractor and etc...

For plain soldering I'm eyeing the compatible TD-100A hand piece and I'm unsure of just how it technically differs from the TD-200? Besides the no calibration needed, what about the thermal recovery and etc...? I've never used the ADS200 + TD200 combo so I have no idea just how it stacks up against a MBT301 + TD-100A

My main fiasco is, maybe it's Dave's awesome ADS200 video and all the marketing behind AccuDrive, but the fork in the road I'm currently at is whether I should invest into the TD-100A hand piece with various needed tips for my MBT301 or is the TD-200 hand piece that much better? I simply don't want to invest in the TD-100A hand piece ecosystem if the ADS200 station along with its TD-200 hand piece is just that much superior? Especially since I just read Pace will soon be selling compatible Microtweezers for the ADS200. I just don't want to start heavily investing into the IntelliHeat ecosystem for hand pieces for my MBT301 if the AccuDrive ecosystem is the future, I want to make the proper decision and not have buyer's regret... Should I spring for the ADS200 + TD-200 and invest into the AccuDrive ecosystem while I solely use my MBT301 station for compatible IntelliHeat hand pieces which make use of a vacuum port? Or will having an additional ADS200 station be almost unneeded redundancy since the TD-100A vs the TD-200 hand piece is identical besides the no calibration needed and I'm better off spending the ADS200 money on IntelliHeat tips and irons for my MBT301?

Sorry for the unorganized thoughts, just trying to best explain my questions.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 04:28:13 am by neo_ »

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1111 on: November 03, 2019, 02:29:19 pm »
The newer MBT301 is an Intelliheat series station which runs the TD100A and all the other existing Intelliheat and Sensatemp handpieces.

The ADS200 is the new Accudrive series single channel station runs the TD200 and upcoming MT200 tweezers. Handpieces are not interchangeable between series. So far only the one station and two tools have been released.

If it was me I would buy the SX100 and TJ70 for your MBT301, and the Pace ADS200 with TD200 and then the MT200 tweezers when out. The cost of the ADS200 station is only about $100 if you factor that into the equation.

The TJ70 I would best describe as precision hot air. It's more convenient than a hot air rework station as it's button or pedal actuated. But not a replacement when it comes to BGA reflow.

So my order or preference for rework would be for the TD200, SX100/MT200, TJ70 handpieces. If you want to stick with a TD100A that is fine too as it's still a very good handpiece, but the TD200 on the Accudrive station has superior power, accuracy and utilizes the Accudrive calibration free technology.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 10:50:23 pm by Shock »

The following users thanked this post: PACE-Worldwide, neo_

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1112 on: November 03, 2019, 02:57:57 pm »
The TD100A and TD200 handpieces appear to be identical except for the color. Do they have differences?  Connectors etc.?

The following users thanked this post: neo_

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1113 on: November 03, 2019, 03:28:00 pm »
The TD100A and TD200 handpieces appear to be identical except for the color. Do they have differences?  Connectors etc.?

Yeah the cable connectors to the station are different for a start. The TD100A takes the older series cartridges 1124, 1126 (and 1128 if you are using a WJS100 station). The TD200 uses the new 1130 and 1131 series. The different series cartridges have black, gold and blue connectors at the back so are easy to tell apart.

Offline neo_

• Contributor
« Reply #1114 on: November 03, 2019, 09:35:14 pm »

So my order or preference for rework would be for the TD200, SX100/MT200, TJ70 handpieces. If you want to stick with a TD100A that is fine too as it's still a very good handpiece, but the TD200 on the Accudrive station has superior power, accuracy and utilizes the Accudrive calibration free technology.

Thanks for the input, I have some decision making to be done.

Do you have experience with the TJ-70 vs TJ-85? What are the varying use cases?

And just some food thought, would you consider selling your MBT301 station to replace it with a PPS400 station for basically the same cost? To be more specific, it seems like if I get the ADS200 + TD200, my MBT301 would be relegated to SenaTemp hand pieces anyway which is what the PPS400 supports as well as some additional support for Piks, ResiTweezers, and MicroChine and etc..

Or is the PPS400 just highly inferior antique compared to the MBT301? I was looking at PPS400 PCB photos and I see it's an older based design with all through hole components but I don't want to judge a book by it's cover. Yet it seems PPS400 supports basically identical hand pieces as the MBT301 with the only difference being the different connector (SensaTemp vs IntelliTemp)? Especially when I noticed the MBT301 accepts SensaTemp hand pieces with a gender bender adapter. If the PPS400 and MBT301 basically use the same hand pieces would the PPS400 not be the better choice?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 10:02:22 pm by neo_ »

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1115 on: November 04, 2019, 12:00:47 am »
I was assuming you brought the Intelliheat version of the MBT301? I believe I chose the TJ-70 over the TJ-85 at the time due to tip selection and that it is hand actuated, possibly power as well I cannot remember. I haven't used the TJ-85.

Can't help with the differences in the Sensatemp vs Intelliheat versions. I typically look at spare parts in that situation though as it reveals different heaters etc. But that would be a good question for Pace.

Yeah the PPS400 might be a better option for you then especially if you want to collect all the tools. I wouldn't let the retro look put you off it's part of the charm, I'd probably own one myself if I was in the US.

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #1116 on: November 04, 2019, 12:06:47 am »

Yeah the cable connectors to the station are different for a start. The TD100A takes the older series cartridges 1124, 1126 (and 1128 if you are using a WJS100 station). The TD200 uses the new 1130 and 1131 series. The different series cartridges have black, gold and blue connectors at the back so are easy to tell apart.

As always, a great explanation by Shock. Just to add a bit of info, the IntelliHeat-compatible tip cartridges that begin with part numbers "1124" & "1126" run on 16 VAC, while the newer AccuDrive tips that start with "1130" & "1131" run on 21 VAC. That is the main reason IntelliHeat tips are not compatible with AccuDrive tips. While AccuDrive tips look almost identical to the IntelliHeat tips, internally they also use completely different sensor technology, heater wire and assembly procedures, all of which contribute to the lack in compatibility. Believe me, I would have loved it if our engineers came up with a method of making all things compatible. Right now, it's completely confusing to our customers. But in the interest of improving products (e.g. increasing temperature accuracy), we made the decision to modernize.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, neo_

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #1117 on: November 04, 2019, 01:14:49 am »

After many years of soldering (first diploma (CEGEP, for those who know what that is) in the 90s was as an electronics technician, t

Montrealer here, also went to CEGEP in the late 90s at Teccart. You?
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline neo_

• Contributor
« Reply #1118 on: November 04, 2019, 01:16:49 am »
Thank you Shock and PACE-Worldwide for the assistance

Quote from: Shock
I was assuming you brought the Intelliheat version of the MBT301? I believe I chose the TJ-70 over the TJ-85 at the time due to tip selection and that it is hand actuated, possibly power as well I cannot remember. I haven't used the TJ-85.

Yes, I do have an IntelliHeat MBT301. BUT, unless I am mistaken the only difference between the SX-100 and TJ-70 IntelliHeat vs SX-100 and TJ-70 SensaTemp hand pieces seem to be only a different styled connector without any other technical difference? Especially when you can use the Pace Gender Bender adapter to use "black connector" (SensaTemp) hand pieces on "blue connector" (IntelliHeat) stations.

As I understand, the description for IntelliHeat is basically defined as a station which can use SenaTemp and tip-heater (TD-100/TD-100A) hand pieces. So unless I'm mistaken (please let me know your opinion) since I'm now looking at buying the ADS200 and TD-200 as its superior over the TD-100A it seems almost pointless to my situation to invest in IntelliHeat SX-100 & TJ-70 hand pieces if I can use the same exact SenaSemp hand pieces on a much cheaper SensaTemp station? Basically the IntelliHeat SX-100 and TJ-70 hand pieces appear to be technically identical to their TX-100 and TJ-70 SensaTemp hand piece counterparts besides having the proper end connector. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Basically, why use an expansive MBT301 station for SX-100 and TJ-100 handpieces if I can achieve an identical result on a cheaper SensaTemp station - with the PPS400 specifically in mind?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 02:26:16 am by neo_ »

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #1119 on: November 04, 2019, 01:19:37 am »

Do you have experience with the TJ-70 vs TJ-85? What are the varying use cases?

And just some food thought, would you consider selling your MBT301 station to replace it with a PPS400 station for basically the same cost? To be more specific, it seems like if I get the ADS200 + TD200, my MBT301 would be relegated to SenaTemp hand pieces anyway which is what the PPS400 supports as well as some additional support for Piks, ResiTweezers, and MicroChine and etc..

Or is the PPS400 just highly inferior antique compared to the MBT301? I was looking at PPS400 PCB photos and I see it's an older based design with all through hole components but I don't want to judge a book by it's cover. Yet it seems PPS400 supports basically identical hand pieces as the MBT301 with the only difference being the different connector (SensaTemp vs IntelliTemp)? Especially when I noticed the MBT301 accepts SensaTemp hand pieces with a gender bender adapter. If the PPS400 and MBT301 basically use the same hand pieces would the PPS400 not be the better choice?

Hi Neo,

The TJ-70 ThermoJet is an 80 Watt hot-air handpiece that was designed in the early 90's for removal of small chips, for soldering of SOICs and QFPs using solder paste and for removal/softening of conformal coatings. It works well when used with 60/40 or 37/63 leaded solder. It works with lead-free solder but with only 80 Watts of power available, it has a limited range of use if you are using lead-free alloys. I can't with a clear conscience recommend the TJ-85 ... it is under-powered and I'd bet about 65% of the users feel that it's performance is lack-luster. Just keeping it real!

The PRC 2000 (aka PPS-400) is a legendary military workhorse rework station that we mainly sell to the US Military and defense forces from many other countries. I wouldn't call it a highly inferior antique as it is quite capable of just about any physical pcb repair except maybe BGA rework. Its PPS-400 Power Supply seems to last forever and the system's quality, reliability, longevity, durability and sustainability have been proven: Most of the PRC 2000s that have been sold since 1996 are still functioning! That's why you see so many available on ebay. They're old but still supportable. That being said, the operation of the PRC 2000 is not what I would call user-friendly. Your MBT 301 is much easier to use in that regard. 

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #1120 on: November 04, 2019, 02:15:14 am »

Yes, I do have an IntelliHeat MBT301. BUT, unless I am mistaken the only difference between the SX-100 and TJ-70 IntelliHeat vs SX-100 and TJ-70 SensaTemp hand pieces seem to be only a different styled connector without any other technical difference? Especially when you can use the Pace Gender Bender adapter to use "black connector" (SensaTemp) hand pieces on "blue connector" (IntelliHeat) stations.

As I understand, the description for IntelliHeat is basically defined as a station which can use SenaTemp and tip-heater (TD-100/TD-100A) hand pieces. So unless I'm mistaken (please let me know your opinion) since I'm now looking at buying the ADS200 and TD-200 as its superior over the TD-100A it seems almost pointless to my situation to invest in IntelliHeat SX-100 & TJ-70 hand pieces if I can use the same exact SenaSemp hand pieces on a much cheaper SensaTemp station? Basically the IntelliHeat SX-100 and TJ-70 hand pieces appear to be technically identical to their TX-100 and TJ-70 SensaTemp hand piece counterparts besides having the proper end connector. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Neo,

You are absolutely correct about the difference between the SensaTemp and IntelliHeat handpieces. The only difference is the connector. Both are Amphenol connectors with differing pin configurations.

This is complicated. SensaTemp was developed in the early 90's for the PRC2000/MBT250/MBT201/MBT101 series of stations. All SensaTemp heaters are constructed using a high-mass internal brass bobbin that is wound with resistance wire that is controlled by a platinum RTD sensor in the front of the heater. A soldering or desoldering tip is then inserted into the heater. While this style of handpiece is extremely powerful, accurate (at the sensor level) and has a great reservoir of power, it usually takes about 2 minutes to completely heat stabilize. In the early 2000s we developed a new fast heat-up, tip-heater cartridge technology we called IntelliHeat. By combining the tip with the heater, we achieved set temperatures in 4-10 seconds and fast & easy tip change-out within 4 seconds, without turning the unit off and without set-screws (I hate set-screws). With this newer technology, we developed a truly ergonomic soldering iron (TD-100), a decent Thermal Tweezer (MT-100) and several other handpieces.

We incorporate both SensaTemp and IntelliHeat technologies into our more current soldering/desoldering/rework stations like the ST-50, ST 75, ST 115, MBT301 and MBT350. Unfortunately, we have to change from the original SensaTemp pin configuration (black connector) to an IntelliHeat (dark blue connector) version. Meaning there are 2 different versions of the same SensaTemp-style handpieces like SX-100 Sodr-X-Tractor, PS-90 Soldering Iron, TT-65 ThermoTweez, TJ-70 ThermoJet and TJ-85 (ugh) ThermoJet handpieces. This way, the power supply can distinguish between the SensaTemp and IntelliHeat handpieces by its pin configuration, but customers frequently buy the wrong handpiece (e.g buy an IntelliHeat SX-100 with blue connector for an MBT-250 ... it won't fit).

Aaron

Offline neo_

• Contributor
« Reply #1121 on: November 04, 2019, 03:36:25 am »
Neo,

You are absolutely correct about the difference between the SensaTemp and IntelliHeat handpieces. The only difference is the connector. Both are Amphenol connectors with differing pin configurations.

This is complicated. SensaTemp was developed in the early 90's for the PRC2000/MBT250/MBT201/MBT101 series of stations. All SensaTemp heaters are constructed using a high-mass internal brass bobbin that is wound with resistance wire that is controlled by a platinum RTD sensor in the front of the heater. A soldering or desoldering tip is then inserted into the heater. While this style of handpiece is extremely powerful, accurate (at the sensor level) and has a great reservoir of power, it usually takes about 2 minutes to completely heat stabilize. In the early 2000s we developed a new fast heat-up, tip-heater cartridge technology we called IntelliHeat. By combining the tip with the heater, we achieved set temperatures in 4-10 seconds and fast & easy tip change-out within 4 seconds, without turning the unit off and without set-screws (I hate set-screws). With this newer technology, we developed a truly ergonomic soldering iron (TD-100), a decent Thermal Tweezer (MT-100) and several other handpieces.

We incorporate both SensaTemp and IntelliHeat technologies into our more current soldering/desoldering/rework stations like the ST-50, ST 75, ST 115, MBT301 and MBT350. Unfortunately, we have to change from the original SensaTemp pin configuration (black connector) to an IntelliHeat (dark blue connector) version. Meaning there are 2 different versions of the same SensaTemp-style handpieces like SX-100 Sodr-X-Tractor, PS-90 Soldering Iron, TT-65 ThermoTweez, TJ-70 ThermoJet and TJ-85 (ugh) ThermoJet handpieces. This way, the power supply can distinguish between the SensaTemp and IntelliHeat handpieces by its pin configuration, but customers frequently buy the wrong handpiece (e.g buy an IntelliHeat SX-100 with blue connector for an MBT-250 ... it won't fit).

Aaron

Thanks Aaron,

Hard to find this level of answers these days, I can see you have a legitimate passion in your work. I'm used to getting scripted template responses from support. Hate to keep pestering you with questions, but I a have left.

1) What's the difference between the SX-100 and SX-90 hand pieces? I see they both take the same replacement parts and tips.

2) I saw the offered firmware updates for the ADS200. If I'd like to update my MBT301 firmware how should I proceed?

3) Maybe I overlooked it, but I found TD-200 hand piece has a limited selection regarding SMT & specialty tips compared to TD100? To be specific, I was looking to purchase a TSOP specialty tip but there are none for the TD-200 iron as compared to several SMT TSOP tips for TD100. These are quite important to me.

4) Are IntelliHeat hand pieces backwards compatible with with the ADS200 AccuDrive station?

Also, any more specific estimates on when the MT-200 hand piece will be available?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 07:53:44 am by neo_ »

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #1122 on: November 04, 2019, 12:56:06 pm »
1) What's the difference between the SX-100 and SX-90 hand pieces? I see they both take the same replacement parts and tips.

2) I saw the offered firmware updates for the ADS200. If I'd like to update my MBT301 firmware how should I proceed?

3) Maybe I overlooked it, but I found TD-200 hand piece has a limited selection regarding SMT & specialty tips compared to TD100? To be specific, I was looking to purchase a TSOP specialty tip but there are none for the TD-200 iron as compared to several SMT TSOP tips for TD100. These are quite important to me.

4) Are IntelliHeat hand pieces backwards compatible with with the ADS200 AccuDrive station?

Also, any more specific estimates on when the MT-200 hand piece will be available?

No problem Neo. Here goes:

The SX-100 & SX-90 are almost identical in all aspects except for some tooling/mold changes that were made to make the various plastic parts fit better. The only way a customer might distinguish the difference is the SX-90 has blue markings on the finger switch and sides, while the SX-100 has white markings. So from the customer end, there is zero difference other than the color accent changes.

There have been no firmware updates in over 10 or 11 years, so none are available at the moment. For the ADS200, the "1-4" firmware revision is the latest and available (no charge) by sending us a note at support@paceworldwide.com.

There are 60 tips now available for the TD-200 and more will be coming. I've attached a US Price List with the current set of tips and accessories. I doubt we are going to introduce a set of TSOP tips in the near future simply because the sales of those tips have dropped off precipitously, probably because TSOP removals are usually handled by a Thermal Tweezer (also see update to upcoming MT-200 MiniTweez Thermal Tweezer).

4) Are IntelliHeat hand pieces backwards compatible with the ADS200 AccuDrive station?
Unfortunately not. AccuDrive handpieces sport a different connector [... sigh ...]. In order to obtain the higher power -- up to 120 Watts depending on the tip for AccuDrive 1130 & 1131 tips, versus the 60 Watt 1124 & 1126 IntelliHeat tip cartridges -- we had to make a change from 16 VAC (IntelliHeat) to 21 VAC (AccuDrive). Thus, IntelliHeat tips can be inserted into an AccuDrive handpiece and "work" for several minutes before they burn up! [another sigh ...]

We just finished Beta Testing of the MT-200 MiniTweez Thermal Tweezer and found we had to tweak a few items. Minor engineering changes were made which delay the launch until January, but the results of the Beta test were really encouraging: Most beta test scores averaged at a "9" out of "10" for performance, ergonomics and control of the handpiece! The MT-200 handpiece will come with an ISB (Instant SetBack) Tool Stand which plugs into the back of the ADS200 and a set of 13 tip-heater cartridges will be available at launch. No pricing as of yet as we are still examining the costs. It's definitely an expensive handpiece to manufacture, much more than it's predecessor the MT-100! For those of you going to Productronica in Munich on 12-14 November, we'll have a sample MT-200 for demonstration -- go to Factronix GmbH Booth (one of our German distributors) in Hall A, Booth 500 to find PACE.

Hope this helps!

Aaron

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews, neo_

Offline PhilB

• Contributor
« Reply #1123 on: November 04, 2019, 06:36:29 pm »

Montrealer here, also went to CEGEP in the late 90s at Teccart. You?

Early 90s, and Maisonneuve (Electrotechnique, as it was called at the time!)

Offline PhilB

• Contributor
« Reply #1124 on: November 04, 2019, 06:48:33 pm »

So glad to get great answers here.  Here's another dumb question...

I was investigating why my ADS200 hadn't shipped yet.  Apparently, one of the tips I ordered (the 1131-0051-P1) isn't in stock (even though it shows in stock on their site.  Would also have been nice of them to notify me instead of me having to email them).  I ordered two of the Ultra-Performance series tips (because...why not?)

What is the actual difference between the standard blue series tips and the ultra-performance blue series tips?  The Pace website really doesn't seem to explain it, unless I'm missing it.

In the meantime, I'll see if they have the 1131-0013-P1 instead.  It's almost the same, but a 3/32" chisel instead of 1/8"!  I just figure a chisel point for general work and a conical point (I ordered the 1131-0001-P1 as well) for finer stuff should cover most of my needs.

The following users thanked this post: PACE-Worldwide

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf