Author Topic: How to properly load feeders of a PnP machine??  (Read 1322 times)

Offline SmallHuzTopic starter

• Contributor
How to properly load feeders of a PnP machine??
« on: May 23, 2021, 08:49:37 am »
Hello everybody. I am new to useing a PnP machine and I am not so sure about loading reels into feeders of a PnP machine. Basicaly after loading them some of the reels carrier tape would kink and bend and after some time it would stop feeding the reel in and therfore stop the machine from picking that particural component. So after fixing kinks and bends of reels carrier tape I would need to start the process again but just with missing components ond the board. So long story short which is the best way, and or correct way to load reels into PnP machine. Thanks in advance.   |O |O |O |O

Offline mon2

• Frequent Contributor
Re: How to properly load feeders of a PnP machine??
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 11:11:56 am »
Which feeders are you using? Are these CL type used by Yamaha. Perhaps clones? If yes, there are manuals for such feeders that offer details on their use and parts replacement diagrams. Can dig and post if of interest.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 12:04:46 pm »
I was trying to find which ones we use but no luck. Machines that we use are Essemtec flx 2011 lc and flx 2011 lcv. Only idea that came to my mind is to splice old carrier tape that is already in feeder with next reels carrier tape. Also I was thinking to live old carrier tape in feeders and then splice it when fully loading feeders with new components. If you know which feeder are for them then great if not I could take a pic tomorrow and post it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 12:07:24 pm by SmallHuz »

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 04:14:12 pm »
Well, it all depends on the machine, software and feeder style.  I used a Philips CSM84 (made by Yamaha) for 13 years.  The cover tape peeling was really marginal on that feeder, it relied on a spring in the feeder to supply the force to advance the tape and peel the cover tape after the part was picked up.  I had constant issues with the cover tape not peeling and having to intervene.  I would put a small C clamp on the empty tape coming out the back of the feeder to give a little more pull.  I also "choked up" on the spring to give more force.  On that machine, after 4 pickup attempts, it would stop and wait for help.

Now, I have a Quad QSA30 (Samsung essentially CP30 with Quad feeders and vision).  The cover tape peeling is WAY better on these feeders, but it still takes some checking and attention when setting up.  Also, the software will give up on a particular part after 4 attempts, give a message and then complete the rest of the board.  After that, you go in and fix what is wrong with the feeder, and press start.  It will then just place those parts that were skipped.  That is pretty cool!

As for splicing tapes, I have had no luck doing that.  I do splice the cover tapes with masking tape.  I have gotten tapes from distributors with metal splices with punched-in holes that have "claws" that they spread with a tool to grip the sprocket holes in the tape.  These jammed 100% in my Yamaha/Philips feeders.  I haven't tried them in my Quad feeders, those might be more tolerant, but I don't know.

As far as I know, Essemtec uses their own feeder design.

Jon

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 06:13:58 pm »
Thats what I thought for essemtec feeder. If I am right exit point for carrier tape is S shaped with some tight radia. Also old reels could be problem but I dont think that is the problem. Tomorow I will take a pic and post it and if you think that spliceing of carrier tape would be good solution for that kind of feeder that would be great and such a relief.

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 02:41:27 am »
Both machines I have used require very little leader on the component tape.  Just a few components worth to get it threaded in the sprocket.  The cover tape can be peeled back and spliced with masking tape to an old piece of cover tape that then goes back to the take-up mechanism.

Jon

Offline SMTech

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 10:17:06 am »
I was trying to find which ones we use but no luck. Machines that we use are Essemtec flx 2011 lc and flx 2011 lcv. Only idea that came to my mind is to splice old carrier tape that is already in feeder with next reels carrier tape. Also I was thinking to live old carrier tape in feeders and then splice it when fully loading feeders with new components. If you know which feeder are for them then great if not I could take a pic tomorrow and post it.

Essemtec FLX machines usually come fitted with Essemtec "CLM" feeders, although I think for various backwards compatibility reasons it can (maybe) be possible for other Essemtec types to be specified. There are a few tweaks over the years on CLM feeders, the path between the pick point and exit is fairly direct, there are no twists and turns and with paper tape you should be very unlikely to see the kinds of issues you describe. I believe there are some generations of this feeder that had less separation between the different lanes in each feeder cassette. You can quite easily (but carefully) remove the thin stainless side on these feeders and have a look, maybe they need a clean or there's detritus making the path less clear than it could be.

Plastic tape can be quite sharp as well as thin and bendy, so can more easily snag on minor internal structures or even just with other tapes in the cassette. A leader can help if spliced on properly, but frankly is probably just as likely to cause an issue as splicing doesn't really have a great deal of strength and there isn't any tape support beyond the pick point. What can make things worse is finishing with a part and pulling long lengths tape back out of the feeder, that will pull neighboring empty tape back across other feeder lanes and make a blockage more likely. Cut off empty tape exiting the feeder regularly so you don't end up with a rats nest. On installation, our trainer/installer taught us to cut tapes at an angle, no idea if it helps. CLM is a fairly old feeder design now, it is the feeder type we have but they are the latest generation of them with complete lane separation , more powerful motors and indicator LEDs. I see occasional blockages but its not a frequent issue and I build a lot of low volume stuff where I have strips of tape with zero leader and zero component losses.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 06:48:59 pm »
Sorry for how long took me to answer. So feeders are CLM 950 series from 2008. Here is a pic of back side with info of the feeder.
About carrier tape spliceing I was thinking about strengthening the splice with 3-5 cm (1 1/2" 2") long carrier tape backing. That way splice would not rely on pure tail to head splice. And splice would be inside feeder, better to say it would be pushed pass feeder gear and it would only be to guide new reel carrier tape. Also is this a good placement of reels on a CLM feeder.
Thanks for very good info and good lessons.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf