Electronics > Manufacturing & Assembly

really thick copper

(1/6) > >>

Simon:
I need to control 60A of current on a PCB so can't really see any option but nice thick copper like 4-6 oz. I'll probably use 4 layer so that signals can get in and out more easily.

I am aware that thick copper creates problems for track width as at aome point you etch down this traces. But do i need to care ? thin traces are just for signals so if they end up thinner that does not matter, or are there manufacturing issues with an inconsistent thickness. Would the inner layers be less than 6oz and say just 1 oz ? What is the standar way of doing it ?

matseng:
Another option is to use PCB Busbars - they are meant to transfer a lot of current between points on a PCB.....

Simon:
I'm wondering how much the busbars cost and how much manufacturing compications putting something with so much thermal inertia on the board might cause. I can't attach a bus bar to a mosfet leg so still need decent copper like 4oz to get from the bar to the pins. As it is I am using more than one mosfet just to make the PCB's life easier.

Bus bars might be the way to go if they come with screw points for wires to screw to as that solves another canundrum.

IconicPCB:
Problem is not variation in thickness.Problem is variation in width/undercut.

We have pressed and milled 1mm thick copper for multilayer pancake transformer design.

Post prototype work was done a by a chinese shop which was selected after some surveying of various performance capabilites.

Aodhan145:
Why does it need to be on a pcb?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version