Author Topic: Recommendation for a manufacturing partner  (Read 1037 times)

Offline TS00Topic starter

Recommendation for a manufacturing partner
« on: March 28, 2021, 10:28:57 pm »
Hi,

I am looking for a manufacturing partner, to enable me to scale up my product manufacturing.

I have a product that is an IoT device (ESP32, GSM/WiFi). It's what I would call a little bit past the prototype stage - I have manufactured and assembled a few hundred units, with the help of a local assembly company.

My next step is to manufacture 10k units. The product is not optimised for volume manufacture, nor do I know how to scale up - I am very much at the limits of my knowledge.

I am looking for a company to partner with who can help me optimise the design for mass manufacture (very likely a new PCB design and some component changes), then manufacture it for me.

The problem is, where do I start? I don't have any connections in this field. I have come into this through the hobbyist route.

I would very much appreciate any recommendations, either of companies, or of where I might start looking.

I am based in Canada, but I strongly suspect that the manufacturing will need to happen elsewhere.

Thanks in advance!

Offline SMTech

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Recommendation for a manufacturing partner
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 11:00:52 pm »
I guess the first question might be what does the local assembly company think? A significant proportion of contract manufacturers have direct links with offshore factories or at at the very least have suppliers who do (in the UK I think all our bare PCB suppliers have an assembly line too, as well as offshore PCB and PCBA options).
10K sounds like a big number but that really depends how quickly you want them and how complex it is, an IoT device might mean its reasonably simple to build even with a smaller partner. It s a big enough number that you probably need to make sure it passes relevant EMC tests.
Designing for manufacture isn't necessarily rocket science, your BOM needs to reflect product availability, fewer parts is better, fewer lines is better (but matters much less with volume), fewer processes is better. A slick test procedure also helps, as time is money and a poorly thought out test procedure can be slow or hard to scale.
In theory if you have a product that is entirely SMT and hence the assembly is 100% automated there is no reason a local(ish) assembler can't be competitive with an offshore assembler when you factor in all the costs. I would expect most assemblers to be able to feedback on optimisations if you asked them (and be happy to if they were getting the work), not all of them would have the in house skills to do it for you however & I wouldn't necessarily restrict yourself to requiring that although I suppose you might need to depending on budget, designers tend to value their services ;).

Offline naedru

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 10:24:40 am »
A good place to start reading about other people's experiences with manufacturing in these qualities would be some of the more successful kickstarters. I'd echo SMTech though in saying that 10k units isn't necessarily a huge amount. If the number of assembly steps and testing is simple (i.e. doesn't require much labour time) then the hassle of manufacturing in Asia or Eastern Europe (especially during COVID!) may outweigh the benefits.

Your local supplier might be very glad for the work and give you a competitive price. They may also be able to help you in reducing the complexity of your product and hence the assembly cost as they will know which steps take them the longest.

DFM isn't a "dark art" though and just applying some sensible logic can have good results: swapping thru-hole parts for SMT variants, making sure you are using the lowest cost (but still appropriate) connectors, casings/housings often make up a big proportion of the BOM so can these be optimised, single-sided board assembly if possible. The list goes on but it's all do-able when you put your mind to it.

In terms of companies there are a few broad categories (names where I can think of them, mainly UK - sorry!):
  • Hong-Kong "agents" who will act as middlemen between you and a Chinese factory
  • Chinese factories with western-facing sales teams
  • Larger domestic engineering companies who can help you DFM and manufacture (Fraser Nash (UK), Mindtribe (now part of Accenture, US), The MTC (UK))
  • Medium sized engineering companies that can do DFM and also have links to Asia (RPD international (UK), Conficio (UK), Ripcord (UK))
  • Small engineering companies that probably don't deal with manufacture but can do DFM (Elimo (UK), Embedism (UK))

Offline Pinpi

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 01:17:12 pm »
First off congratulations! Its fantastic that you made something on your own!

Second I would suggest researching other small brands in your field and connecting with them to learn about their manufacturing process. You should also try reaching out on linked in to the people in your field.

I also think that the small local manufacturer that produces your first units should let you know what they think on the limits of your current design.

Best of luck!

Offline Gribo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 01:31:39 pm »
Disclaimer: I work for one such contract manufacturer (Creation Tech).

Where are you located in Canada? In Ontario, there are many CMs located in the GTA. For a 10K production run, it doesn't make sense to outsource to China/India. The NRE costs, shipping and tariffs are too high.
NREs include setting up the production line, making sure everything runs smoothly, making sure the yields are acceptable and so on, this usually means sending an engineer for a week or two.

Get few quotes from local manufacturers, you might find that the difference doesn't justify off-shoring the production.
I am available for freelance work.

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 12:14:53 pm »
Bonjour, BRAVE for the effort!

You question is interesting as it touches on entrepreneurship, and the path from hobbyist to designer to manufacturer.

Been through it all since 1970s.

Mass production eg 10K pcs needs design and tooling eg PCB fab Gerbers, CAD schematics, and a costed BOM with all suppliers.

That mass production doc package can then be sent out for RFQ to various fab houses.

Beware that ALL Chinese fab can and will steal any design or technology if its in their interest. And that a proto or first run will not represent the quality or parts afterwards.

However, Very sorry but there is no "manufacturing partner" who can industrialize your design for mass production. Nor can they assume any economic risque, you are responsible for the liability, regulatory compliance and so on.

After you create the final design package, and after a quote is received and accepted, they becom JUST a vendor, limited in what they do by contract and PO.

The steps for a good path:

1/ Secure funding

2/ Find a consultant or firm to make the final design with BOM, PCB, assy diagrams, test program, etc.

3/ test and accept design

4/ Issue RFQ to several fab houses.

5/ Select best vendor, issue contracts and PO.

6/ Pay advance for tooling and parts order of 10K

7/ arrange for onsite inspection and QB BEFORE shipping

8/ Arrange for shipping logistic, recieve shipment

9/ Incoming inspection, and accept product

10/ Fulfill orders

Notice ADVANCE payment for parts and tooling is required and that you trust the vendor to fulfil.

Many in that situation off load the process to a Manufacturing expert with Asian liaison experience.

These firms exist in USA and I am sure in Canada.

Bon Chance!

Jon

(just the ramblings of an old retired EE)

Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf