Author Topic: Sourcing 1X24 pin 2.54mm sockets.  (Read 4096 times)

Offline phil from seattleTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Sourcing 1X24 pin 2.54mm sockets.
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2021, 11:57:03 pm »
This looks like what you want.
https://www.rocketscream.com/blog/product/1x24-female-header-kit/
I'm sure if you got in touch you could get a lower price at quantity.

Hmmm, that's what I want.  I'll contact them.  Thanks.

The following users thanked this post: ANTALIFE

Offline Mangozac

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2021, 07:38:18 am »
Breaking apart snappable headers is one thing.  The kid of sockets I want to use don't come in snappable lengths.  So, I'd have to cut them apart and sand or grind the edges to make them smooth and professional looking.  Way too much time.
Sorry, I wrote my comment in a rush and didn't describe fully. We do this for both header pins and the mating header sockets and with a correct jig to set the length it's really not time consuming for a worker to cut them with cutters. So long as you're not worried about the finish (which we've never had any issues with).

Still, great to hear you've found a source for the correct length  :-+

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2021, 05:08:46 pm »
If you specify the request then maybe you get a better help, ok I know that you mentioned the size 24x1 and the footprint spacing 2.54mm this will orient all the users to suggest you to use a bigger socket and cut it out or to combine small sockets until you get the needed size.
As was discussed earlier, multiple sockets like 2 12x1 don't work together because they are slightly longer than 12 times 2.54mm.
That depends on the socket design. Some models are designed to be stackable end-to-end, others aren’t.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2021, 09:29:07 pm »
If you specify the request then maybe you get a better help, ok I know that you mentioned the size 24x1 and the footprint spacing 2.54mm this will orient all the users to suggest you to use a bigger socket and cut it out or to combine small sockets until you get the needed size.
As was discussed earlier, multiple sockets like 2 12x1 don't work together because they are slightly longer than 12 times 2.54mm.
That depends on the socket design. Some models are designed to be stackable end-to-end, others aren’t.
Pointers please.  And preferably not something that costs a buck a connector.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2021, 08:03:19 pm »
Pointers please.  And preferably not something that costs a buck a connector.
Unfortunately I don’t know what they were, they were in a parts bin at work, unmarked. :(

Offline WattsThat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2021, 10:23:58 pm »
I posted a link to parts found on AliExpress, IIRC they were $0.20 each or less. Unfortunately, it was lost with the data roll back.

If you’re still looking, let me know and I’ll look again. Cannot remember the search string but once you work out the translation, they appeared to be fairly common and dirt cheap.

Edit. Found them. Good seller rating at $0.125 each.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001418544370.html
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 12:04:30 am by WattsThat »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2021, 01:43:31 am »
I posted a link to parts found on AliExpress, IIRC they were $0.20 each or less. Unfortunately, it was lost with the data roll back.

If you’re still looking, let me know and I’ll look again. Cannot remember the search string but once you work out the translation, they appeared to be fairly common and dirt cheap.

Edit. Found them. Good seller rating at $0.125 each.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001418544370.html

I saw it and ordered from them - somewhere on a slow boat.  I think I replied but maybe that got lost too.  I ordered enough to fulfill a fair number of orders.  When I get them, if the quality is decent I will get about 10X more. 

Offline mon2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2021, 06:19:54 pm »
Can you post a datasheet of the exact component you are after? We know of many manufacturers in Asia that can supply this item. However, you will need to define the height of the plastic insulator; the pin length for the solder tail; the plating of the solder tail; the depth of the pins inside the plastic insulator so that the mating male pin does not interfere with the female, etc.

We have one favorite manufacturer in Shenzhen we can suggest but want to be sure we are talking about the same item. For us, we prototyped with Samtec who makes great and solid parts but for live builds, there were just too expensive. Shifted to Asia for the volume buys. As the parts are rather inexpensive, most likely you will have to purchase in 1k lots (or whatever the vendor states as their MOQ).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2021, 07:04:57 pm »
Thanks for the kind offer. I do appreciate it.

I have found an Aliexpress vendor (the one discussed above) that has reasonable quality & quantity at a reasonable price. I don't know how long they will be around and will be checking any follow on order closely but, for now, problem solved.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf