Author Topic: Reflow Oven $5K-$10K Range for Small Company  (Read 1817 times)

Offline jionbhaTopic starter

Reflow Oven $5K-$10K Range for Small Company
« on: November 12, 2021, 07:51:41 pm »
Hello! Been browsing the forum and finding lots of helpful information. I hope this question isn't asked too frequently, and that this new topic is okay.

I'm looking for a reflow oven in the $5K to $10K budget range. The company I work for has been using T-962As for years, but they keep burning up on us (literally, big fire hazard recently). Just plugged in a backup T-962A+ we had on hand, and the temperature reading is very bugged right out of the box, too. We've now had 4 failures in this Puhui line so far -- management kept buying them for their hugely competitive price point, treating them as disposable. We're now putting about 1,000 boards through these ovens a month, twice each: one profile for connectors and one profile for LEDs. Additionally, setting the profiles on these ovens is frustrating. The temperature sensors often have a 25+°C differential from an RTD sensor on a test board on the drawer shelf, so calibration takes quite a while to lock in.

So, I'm tasked with finding us a proper industrial oven, ideally at 5-10K range. It can be benchtop still or conveyor, as long as a conveyor model can manage multiple profiles well. Are there any real go-to models or favorites in this range?

Ty!

Offline Mangozac

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Reflow Oven $5K-$10K Range for Small Company
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 09:42:51 pm »
I can't believe you're doing that volume using such crappy little batch ovens!

We use a Kayo RF-630 6 zone conveyor. It works well and landed cost is well less than $10k.

Offline Reckless

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 01:06:08 am »
Chinese ovens are not on the level of tier 1/2/3 companies.  I have tried on numerous occasions as I like chinese philosophy of small space manufacturing.  But they are not able to do perfectly even level of heating as the name brands do.  They are ok for prototyping but for production level I wouldn't trust.  Its the difference between a military grade vehicle and golf cart.  Both can take you places but one will last and has been fully tested.  My problem with chinese equipment is that they don't deliver what they promise.  I have been burned enough times to know.  In few rare instances they deliver mediocre results.  I recommend buying used industrial grade equipment from tier 1/2/3.  Its like playing basketball in slippers, can be done but is advisable no.  Long term reliability of products are compromised to save some money on oven/screen printer/etc. 

I have seen/heard mix results in China.  Some absolutely refuse to use chinese equipment as its not reliable and some use it and deal with the constant issues.  For most part respectable chinese manufacturers will not touch chinese made equipment. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 01:16:18 am by Reckless »

Offline jionbhaTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 03:17:19 pm »
Thanks for the responses! I'll sure be happy to get away from the T-962As. It sounds like a reliable full convection conveyor will be achievable and our best option. Sending out some RFQs for a new Kayo RF-630 and looking at used market. Is Ebay the best place for that?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf