Author Topic: Reflow Oven Recommendations Compatible with Large PCBs (~280 mm/11" x ~254 mm/10  (Read 1193 times)

Offline magicsmokeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I would like to purchase a reflow oven that can handle single PCBs up to ~280 mm/11" x ~254 mm/10" but also smaller boards. The intended usage is in a research lab where the number of PCBs reflowed would only be maybe 5 per month. Does anyone have any recommendations for a prosumer model. Something that I need to spend minimal time modifying or futzing with to get acceptable performance, reliability, and safety. I would like to keep the total cost less than ~$1350 if possible. The reflow oven will be used by students with a mix of backgrounds in PCB soldering. Three phase power is available in the research lab (3 phase 220 V and 3 phase 480 V) or single phase 110V. Ideally the oven would be fairly compact.

I am very leery of the various Puhui models. Does Torch have a USA sales outlet or distributor?

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
I have done this on SLIGHTLY smaller boards with the largest toaster oven I could find, and a thermocouple ramp and soak controller from eBay.  This oven is roughly 228 x 300 mm (9 x 12") and I have done single boards close to that size.  The trick is to use micro-size thermocouple wire and pike the junction into a plated through hole in the board.  That way, it is controlling actual temperature of the board.  The ramp and soak controller operates a solid state relay in series with the oven's thermostat, and allows you to program temperature ramps over time and temperature holds.  I've done over 2000 boards with this setup in the last 14 years.

Jon

Offline trevwhite

• Frequent Contributor
Have you looked at the Emdis Jumbo vapour phase oven? The construction is not brilliant but vapour  phase is ideal for small runs and it doesn't care on the size of board. You might be able to haggle a good price direct?

I am not saying these ovens are perfect but I believe I have managed to dial one in to give repeatable results.

Trev.

Offline Reckless

• Frequent Contributor
I am very leery of the various Puhui models. Does Torch have a USA sales outlet or distributor?

Manncorp resells them under their brand but they are a lousy company IMO regarding support and just rebadge china products and mark the hell out of them.  In that price range Puhui is the only option.  The T960e isnt too bad but nothing comparable to industrial oven manufacturers.

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
Get a t962C, has nothing to do with a t962A. Heating is even and powerful with a large area, software is crap

Offline Reckless

• Frequent Contributor
I had a T962C and thought it was crap.  The 960e was a lot better but nothing comparable to Essemtec/Vitronics.  I rank APS Novastar ovens higher than the chinese ovens.  I never had a need for a software profile so sold off my Heller ovens.

Online 48X24X48X

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rocket Scream
Get a t962C, has nothing to do with a t962A. Heating is even and powerful with a large area, software is crap
I think the T962C is okay. I have the T937M which is okay except for certain plastic connectors under lead free profile (okay with medium temperature paste though). I think TS have the space and power supply, going for Puhui conveyor belts ones will be just fine. Just avoid their entry level desktop oven ranging $100-200.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf