Electronics > Manufacturing & Assembly

Refurbish JBC T245 iron tips

(1/8) > >>

gaminn:
Hi,
stupid question maybe, but is there any process that can refurbish my non-functional T245 iron tips. Tin doesn't stick to the surface of the tip anymore.

wraper:
Clean with wet sponge and apply new solder, repeat several times. Be aware that some solder wires are way way better at wetting oxidized tips than others. Some are nearly useless for this purpose. Stuff with active flux often works worse than with barely activated colophony. If effect is not enough, buy tip reactivator https://www.amazon.de/-/en/TechnikRat-TT15-Soldering-Reactivator-Lead-Free/dp/B00M1O7ZG0?th=1 If there is thick crust on the tip, you may need to scrape it off. Don't use sandpaper on anything abrasive. Can use some sort of blade or flat screwdriver.

gaminn:
This is how one of my tips looks like. I cleaned it several tips and tried to apply new solder, both lead and lead free. Nothing works. I will try that tip reactivator, hopefully it works. Thanks.

MR:
There's just pure Iron left, the good part of the tip is very likely nickel coated.

I'd like to try to refresh those tips with galvanic nickel plating, even though I heard it's not recommended (no obvious reason why). I just didn't have time for it yet.

wraper:

--- Quote from: MR on September 13, 2023, 08:01:33 pm ---There's just pure Iron left, the good part of the tip is very likely nickel coated.

I'd like to try to refresh those tips with galvanic nickel plating, even though I heard it's not recommended (no obvious reason why). I just didn't have time for it yet.

--- End quote ---
Actually iron does attract solder, nickel does not. You certainly don't want to nickel plate your tips. You can find nickel plating only on cheapest soldering irons where it is directly on copper, and that garbage cannot be tinned. Normally tips have thick iron plating on the wettable area. From the picture it's not quite clear if it's surface erosion or just crust covering the tip. For me it looks more like crust that can be scraped off. Some fluxes are very prone to producing that garbage which sticks to the tip strongly. It's basically impossible to remove by brass wool. Thermal shock from wet sponge helps quite a bit. Although not enough when crust had a lot of time to form a strong bond to the surface. In which case you need to scrape it off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version