Author Topic: Selective soldering flux - a question for Australian chatters predominantly  (Read 1211 times)

Offline IconicPCBTopic starter

• Super Contributor
I am looking for a liquid flux no clean alcohol based suitable for selective soldering application that is readily available in the arse end of the world geography.

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
I use Kester EP256 flux as that apparently is also used in the solder paste (plus other stuff) with the same number.  Kester also list its RF741 as a rework flux.  It's SDS is quite similar to EP256.  Both are no clean.  The EP256 has an alcoholic odor and is quite liquid.  I do not have the RF741 and cannot comment on it.

Kester EP256 flux:
https://www.macdermidalpha.com/sites/default/files/sds_pdfs/NA/4070001_KESTER%20SDS%20GHS%20AMERICAS_ENGLISH%20%28US%29.PDF

Kester RF951
https://www.macdermidalpha.com/sites/default/files/sds_pdfs/NA/4070194_KESTER%20SDS%20GHS%20AMERICAS_ENGLISH%20%28US%29.PDF

EDIT: Also used #44 paste flux that I got years ago.  It's my preferred flux for new stuff and hand soldering.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 10:45:29 pm by jpanhalt »

• Super Contributor
Kester also have SELECT 10 flux specifically formulated for selective soldering process requirement... but... It' a bit of hens teeth situation.  Not available down under. Current mob handling Kester may be looking to switch brands. Situation will be resolved in say half a year.

I will try Aim solder's flux FX16 and 265. No sample quantities, have had to purchase 6 litres in total just to try.

Offline Mangozac

• Frequent Contributor
Have you checked out the fluxes from Chemtools/Okay? They sell AIM fluxes and have fantastic support too. We have good results with the FX16 in our (non-selective) wave solder.

Offline Mangozac

• Frequent Contributor
NC265 gives very nice results and is slightly cleaner but my team found that it was more of an irritant when in the air.

• Super Contributor
Thanks Zac,

I have a couple of containers on their way, 1 litre of FX16 and 5 litres of NC265.
Sadly I have spent close to AUD300 just to try out 4 of AIM's fluxes.
My preference, reading data sheets would be Kester's SELECT 10.

Offline Mangozac

• Frequent Contributor
That's s shame - I would have gladly given you some samples if you wanted to drive up to the coast!

• Super Contributor
Zac,
Offered as good as done, Thank You.
At least the locals will now be able to have a reference on these fluxes.
In any case Okay /Aim/Chemtools lost their sales rep in QLD a man who had access to the better support of their products.
Now it does not matter where you look, its all the same often "at arms length" service and support.

Offline Mangozac

• Frequent Contributor
Yes, it was a shame to lose him as he was a very good sales rep. Support from Chemtools head office is still fantastic when it comes to discussing a technical issue, but their timeliness is certainly suffering lately. Like all of us they're understaffed and too much to do!

• Super Contributor
Finally tried FX-16 yesterday.

Did about half a dozen assemblies.

Shorts, flags and dross on the PCB significantly reduced. Very pleased with the improved first pass appearance.

The joins have a much shallower solder meniscus angle and the amount of solder adhering to the joint is halved while the entire pad area is wetted.
A sign of a much better joint.

I am yet to try nc265. My expectation is it will be less attractive than FX-16.

An update on Kester SELECT10. I think reading the data sheet it would be the better choice to date... However... Digikey have offered it as a minimum quantity purchase of AUD2500.- or thereabouts.
Just so unrealistic.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 05:18:33 am by IconicPCB »

Offline Mangozac

• Frequent Contributor
Digikey have offered it as a minimum quantity purchase of AUD2500.- or thereabouts.
:o

NC265 should be a little nicer. Let us know your thoughts!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf