Author Topic: Single run / prototype PCB manufacture  (Read 2541 times)

Offline EHTTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Single run / prototype PCB manufacture
« on: January 26, 2022, 11:05:14 pm »
Sorry if this has been asked before and my searching was too shallow.

I'd like to get an idea how much it will be to get a single PCB made or if someone could recommend a suitable place to ask for a quote. I tried a couple but they were geared for larger production. This would be for a hobby project, not a production prototype. Probably smallish 100 x 100mm double-sided.

I'm in the UK but could order worldwide since this is lightweight.

I used to make my own ages ago, but never had great results. If professional services are not economically viable for small runs, what others do?

Thanks!

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
Re: Single run / prototype PCB manufacture
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 11:43:17 pm »
I've used PCBWay, they do a good job.  You need to supply them with the Gerber design files in mm units, they will take it from there.
A 2 layer 100mm square board should be just a few US $ each and the shipping will be more than that.  I think PCBWay will make 5 boards, minimum.
They have an on-line quote system, so you can see for yourself what it will cost.
Jon

The following users thanked this post: EHT

Offline rea5245

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 11:50:35 pm »
You can use PCBShopper.com to compare prices from 19 different PCB manufacturers. Disclosure: I run PCBShopper.

- Bob Alexander

The following users thanked this post: T3sl4co1l, EHT

Offline EHTTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 06:28:57 pm »
board should be just a few US $ each and the shipping will be more than that.

Oh, yes. I used PCBShopper to compare. I don't know how the shipping rates are being determined, but they're mostly way more than I have paid to send larger, heavier items worldwide.

The PCBs are coming out at £3 to £14 for 5, but the shipping is £12 to £100.

I notice that many of the Chinese ones have low star rating (including PCBWay so maybe not too much emphasis should be put on it?). I might be better with the German https://aisler.net/ which is £4 per PCB, free shipping...

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I can see there are some good options here, and certainly better than DIY or Veroboard!!

Offline rea5245

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 06:47:28 pm »
Shipping costs are retrieved from the manufacturers' own web sites. Slow shipping can be cheap; fast shipping will cost you.

- Bob

Offline AccountRemovedPerUsersRequest

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 06:29:02 am »
I order prototypes almost every week. Don't know if it is covid, but since spring last year Chinese manufacturers started to have various issues in deliveries. Quality issues included. Fabrication takes much longer. Now, close to the middle of Chinese new year, 5 days build time is more like 3 weeks.
I am not using those $0-$10 products, but spending more money does not seem to make any difference.

Thanks for mentioning PCBShopper. I browsed reviews and, unfortunately, almost all the manufacturers are getting negative feedback exactly for the same reasons I am struggling at the moment.

I think my journey with Chinese manufacturers is over. Anyone using Aisler or Eurocircuits?

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 07:25:18 am »
About six months ago I ordered two different 4-layer designs from JLCPCB, boards about 4" x 4", plus solder stencils.  Delivered in a timely fashion, low-price, and good quality.  This has been my experience with JLCPCB over the past several years, perhaps a dozen different boards.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Offline woody

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2022, 08:32:38 am »
I think my journey with Chinese manufacturers is over. Anyone using Aisler or Eurocircuits?

I use Aisler for some years now and I am happy with them. So far I used their 2-layer 'beautiful Boards' HD and Budget options. Turnaround normally within a week for PCB's and stencils, as long as you use express shipping. So far no quality issues, apart from a little dent in a stencil once, which was credited. Simple upload of board files (in my case KiCad). Straightforward pricing and they understand VAT within the EU which is nice. Simple re-ordering.

I started using them for small assembly (SMD) production runs since they started offering these last year and that also works for me. You can actually contact someone with a pulse (mail / phone) about issues which I like.

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2022, 04:24:23 pm »
I also used Aisler for one board -- they did a fine job, no complaints.  They farmed out the actual fabrication to some board house here in the USA, I don't recall if they are a "virtual" company or if they have physical fab capability of their own.  But JLCPCB has been cheaper and quicker, with no quality issues in my own experience.  I've not used either of these outfits for assembly, I do that here (but it's just prototype quantities.)
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

The following users thanked this post: EHT

Offline georpo

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2022, 10:10:13 am »
I have ordered from most Chinese companies, allpcb, jlcpb, pcbway etc but since I am in Greece I always have to choose between fast shipping time and import taxes or really slow shipping to avoid the extra costs. Last time I ordered from pcbart-assembly and I was more than happy with the quality/lead time/pricing.
Of course no one can beat Chinese prices.
Is there any list of European pcb factories with fast and cheap shipping?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf