Electronics > Manufacturing & Assembly

SMD and shaky hands - please help.

<< < (4/6) > >>

IconicPCB:
Simplest way is to get yourself onto beta blockers.
Simplest way to get beta blockers is to get a heart attack.

gnuarm:

--- Quote from: FriedMule on January 21, 2022, 11:10:39 pm ---But how do you get the component from outside to the correct placement on the board? To me, is it like placing a dot on a random orbital sander:-)

--- End quote ---

I had that problem about 20 years ago.  I have intentional tremor which is natural, not medicine related... unless they are giving me meds in my food! 

I remember assembling a tiny board (about 3/4 inch by 3/8 inch) with 0603 components.  Some of them took about 20 tries before I was happy with the result.  I would use a toothpick to move the part in place, repeating it several times to get it right.  Then I'd bring in the soldering iron and watch it move off the pad or pads.  The wet solder making the part stick to the iron didn't help. 

After that I found a really neat solution.  Contract assembly houses.  Yup, I don't solder anything smaller than... well, I don't solder at all I guess.  I design products and let others do the soldering.  I can still manage to probe a circuit, but often let someone else do that as well.  I try to deal with more managerial duties now.  :)

gnuarm:

--- Quote from: jpanhalt on January 21, 2022, 11:39:59 pm ---
--- Quote from: FriedMule on January 21, 2022, 11:01:01 pm ---Sounds really great, may I please ask you to elaborate some more, I am not sure if I completely understand?

--- End quote ---

Described in more detail here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/surface-mount-soldering/msg1134290/#msg1134290
The wire is about 1/32" diameter (0.030").

I've used either technique for years.  For a few pieces, I use the pre-tinning method.  For lots of chips, I use the CA.  I tend to limit myself to 805's, and very rarely 603.  Nothing smaller.

--- End quote ---

I don't know why people have to use obscure abbreviations.  Is "CA" contract assemblers? 

jpanhalt:
CA = cyanoacrylate adhesive.  Very widely used in the US.  Even Wikipedia lists a subject matter page for "CA glue." Had you clicked on the link, it is described there.  In the context of my comment, I have a hard time visualizing a microdot of a "contract assembler." 

SMTech:

--- Quote from: jpanhalt on January 26, 2022, 03:15:16 pm ---CA = cyanoacrylate adhesive.  Very widely used in the US.  Even Wikipedia lists a subject matter page for "CA glue." Had you clicked on the link, it is described there.  In the context of my comment, I have a hard time visualizing a microdot of a "contract assembler."

--- End quote ---

Superglue to its friends. I honestly don't understand this technique, I'd make a huge mess and glue my tweezers together but maybe that's just me. Regardless of your motor skills the best way to steady your hand is definitely firm support at the wrist and short of a very elaborate setup that makes anything but small assemblies very difficult to work on by hand. Magnification is good but adds a different challenge with field of view & perspective. Mechanical aids like are nice but that CIF example is actually quite cheap compared to the Fritsch version and at that point, a slightly crappy pick n place from China is probably going to be better.

There other solutions of course, do all your projects using modules from the world of Arduino, someone somewhere has slapped pretty much anything you could want onto an easily used, breadboard/featherboard/HAT friendly little board, if and when it's time to go commercial - get someone else to do it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version