Author Topic: QFN float during flux activation  (Read 2505 times)

Online wraper

• Supporter
Re: QFN float during flux activation
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2021, 07:22:17 am »
The pad on the bottom of the chip is significantly larger than the pcb pad and it seems to align itself by the edges of that. I had a moment of panic that I just grossly screwed up the footprint but double checked and I exactly follow the datasheet. The chip center pad size is 3.6x3.6mm while the PCB pad is only 2.79x2.79mm.  :-//
IME don't outright trust footprints in the datasheets. I have a feeling that sometimes they simply don't care and provide it just because. Not to say that for the same package, different manufacturers often provide radically different footprints.
I scraped off the corner notch but it still pulls.
If the pad on the chip has such a corner as well, there is nothing bad if the pad on the PCB follows its shape as well.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 10:03:15 am by wraper »

The following users thanked this post: Marsupilami

Offline Marsupilami

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2021, 03:33:27 am »
Oookay, I got an additional 3 different kinds of solder paste and the 3rd stencil variant with smaller perimeter pins and no reduction at the pin 1 notch. If I can't solder this stupid chip this time I'll give up and move to the Himalayas to be a goatherder.

Offline JohnG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2021, 08:08:28 pm »
Plugged vias are not a panacea for via in pad. The plugs can expand and outgas during soldering. For anything small that I care about, I either use VIPPO or I don't put vias in the pad. It solved many problems and I have never looked back.

If you are doing a one-off and don't want the expense of VIPPO, putting a weight on may be kludgy, but if it's a one-off (or just a few), who cares?

John
"Those who learn the lessons of history are doomed to know when they are repeating the mistakes of the past." Putt's Law of History

The following users thanked this post: Marsupilami

Offline Marsupilami

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2021, 12:24:24 am »
Hi All, just in case anybody finds this thread, I managed to get the chips soldered properly.
I got new boards. I decided to go with the ~40% cost increase of a 4 layer, thicker board so that they can plug and overplate my vias. That was a mistake to assume I can kludge it at home. Another change is the solderpaste. I got Loctite GC 10 and it's really nice, it prints a whole lot better too and is apparently a lot less picky about temperature.

Thanks for everyone for chiming in and giving tips!

The following users thanked this post: Kean, JohnG, I wanted a rude username

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf