Author Topic: Solder paste stencil frame adapter  (Read 3132 times)

Offline Rachie5272Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Solder paste stencil frame adapter
« on: October 29, 2021, 08:35:54 pm »
The solder paste printer I'm about to buy can only handle 29" x 29" frames.  Given how every frame I've used so far is less than a quarter of the size, the seller offered to find us a frame adapter.  Does anyone have experience with these?  Do they hold stencils securely enough, or should I find another printer?

Offline mon2

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Solder paste stencil frame adapter
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 04:35:35 am »
Yes. We purchased this one for our Ekra X4 and very pleased with the results. Now we can purchase $30 framed smaller stencils from JLCPCB for our builds without having to buy and import 29x29 stencils at crazy prices. In hindsight, it was silly for us to buy the larger stencils.

https://app.alibaba.com/dynamiclink?touchId=60826730514&type=product&schema=enalibaba%3A%2F%2Fdetail%3Fid%3D60826730514%26ck%3Dshare_detail&ck=share_detail&shareScene=buyer

You buy through Elissa (our rep) at their factory.

Tel/Wechat/Whatsapp: +86 13923713803
QQ: 2966592980
Add: 3F. Building D, Lihao Yongda Park, No.20 Dongfang Blvd, Matian, Guangming District, Shenzhen, Guangdong, China 518106

Shenzhen Wenzhan Electronic Technology Co., Ltd.

Offline alexaraujo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 11:55:04 am »
Yes. We purchased this one for our Ekra X4 and very pleased with the results. Now we can purchase $30 framed smaller stencils from JLCPCB for our builds without having to buy and import 29x29 stencils at crazy prices. In hindsight, it was silly for us to buy the larger stencils.

https://app.alibaba.com/dynamiclink?touchId=60826730514&type=product&schema=enalibaba%3A%2F%2Fdetail%3Fid%3D60826730514%26ck%3Dshare_detail&ck=share_detail&shareScene=buyer

Add: 3F. Building D, Lihao Yongda Park, No.20 Dongfang Blvd, Matian, Guangming District, Shenzhen, Guangdong, China 518106

Could you tell me how much you paid and more details on how to use the machine?

Offline 48X24X48X

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rocket Scream
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 12:33:56 pm »

Bought stuff from Elissa before. They supplied very good quality feeders at very competitive price and 2 years warranty compared to others that are mostly 1 year. Buying more stuff from them on this coming Monday!

Offline kayvee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 02:08:33 pm »
I am also looking for an adapter for my VectorGuard frame.

Your link takes me to the home page. Can you please link again or indicate in which section you found it?  TIA

Offline Reckless

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 03:46:50 pm »
I am interested as well.

Offline Mangozac

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 06:32:42 am »
Our MPM UP2000 takes the 29" frames too. There's definitely no need getting giant stencils for doing smaller panels - you pay extra in both the stencil cost and the freight!

I created the attached adaptor from some aluminium profiles welded and bolted together. It can theoretically be modified to suit multiple frame sizes but to make life easy we've standardised on 550x450 stencils.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 06:40:38 am by Mangozac »

Offline mon2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2021, 06:56:22 am »
We paid $375 usd FOB Shenzhen. There are assorted shipping options from Shenzhen such as air courier or ocean. You can test door to door delivery with FedEx or contact a freight forwarder in Shenzhen. We can post some contacts if interested.

The stencil adapter is a very clever design and is adjustable to permit varying frame sizes. When ready, pneumatic clamps are used to lock down the frame so that the stencil does not move.

Can post some pics once at the office.

Well worth the purchase and we have saved $$ with the use of smaller stencils from JLCPCB. Many of our designs are quite small so now we can use small stencils that the Ekra X4 could not without this adapter.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2021, 04:53:28 pm »
The alibaba link seems to be broken.  Do you have another link, or pictures?  I'm very interested.

Online SMTech

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 05:06:18 pm »
In the UK/EU adoptSMT lists loads of stencil frame adaptors, I presume they are fairly universal even if marked as MPM/DEK/Whatever and given they have so many I would also assume plenty of other places also have 2nd user versions of these hanging about

Offline mon2

• Frequent Contributor

Offline Reckless

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2021, 04:43:48 am »
I think its too expensive for OEM use.  I can see it being worth it for a CM.  I think 29" framed stencils run $60 shipped to chicago from jlcpcb, smaller stencil may save $10. 

Offline 48X24X48X

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rocket Scream
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2021, 05:00:20 am »
May I know why you guys needs a 29 inch stencil at the first place? Is the solder paste dispenser machine can only accept this size?
I remember many years ago I brought my 400 mm x 300 mm framed stencil to a CM to discuss a job, they were laughing at the tiny stencil size.
But, they did acknowledged the quality of the stencil opening is very good (bought from China's King Full on Taobao back then).

Offline Reckless

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2021, 05:05:15 am »
Older automatic stencil machines are generally set to 29."  Newer models have a rail system that allows to adjust to stencil size.

Offline matthewpang

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2021, 05:10:27 am »
100 per stencil shipped. If you have multiple stencils you pay multiple shipping from JLC - quickly adds up.
entropicengineering.com

Online SMTech

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2021, 08:16:17 am »
Older automatic stencil machines are generally set to 29."  Newer models have a rail system that allows to adjust to stencil size.

Even then the adjustment often has limits, speedprint stop @ 23", the documentation for ESE suggests rather than freely adjustable clamps it has presets and so on.

Offline Reckless

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2021, 09:10:46 am »

Even then the adjustment often has limits, speedprint stop @ 23", the documentation for ESE suggests rather than freely adjustable clamps it has presets and so on.

I have been wondering about semi automatic stencil printer with vision lately.  We dont change boards that often, and was thinking about making dedicated stations for certain pcbs.  I would prefer something without an OS.   Also small form factor.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2021, 05:39:43 pm »
I ended up buying the stencil adapter as suggested.  So far it seems nice, though my printer hasn't arrived yet.

Pros:
-Very nice machining
-Easy to adjust to different stencil widths.
-One pneumatic switch very securely clamps or unclamps the stencil.
-Two different sets of piston brackets were included.

Cons:
-The instructions are terrible.  The pictures are barely visible, and show a different model of stencil holder.  I managed to get it assembled, but it took longer than it should have.
-Pre-cut hose pieces would have been nice, or at least include the lengths in the instructions.
-Many of the metal pieces hadn't been cleaned after machining.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf