Author Topic: Solder Paste Dispenser MD100 - South Africa? Similar alternative?  (Read 7149 times)

Offline nardevTopic starter

• Supporter
There is several options out there for Solder Paste dispensing but it's mostly complex and expensive. By looking around i noticed one from South Africa, exactly my style. Simple construction and it looks like it can be easy+fast to use.

https://www.magnumproducts.co.za/products/solder-paste-dispenser-md100

However, no shipping outside of South Africa and they don't even reply on my emails.

So, have you seen anything alike, without electric motor or a pump, simple to use and not so expensive? Please share or even better, if you are from South Africa, would you be so kind to buy/forward one for me?

Thnx

• Supporter
Re: Solder Paste Dispenser MD100 - South Africa? Similar alternative?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 06:52:34 pm »
Anyone?  :popcorn:

Offline SMTech

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 07:09:43 pm »
I'm sure someone send Dave one in his mailbag once, dunno if it came from SA tho'. However there are quite a few powered handhelds around (kits if you are lucky) or the Chinese pneumatic ones on eBay.

Or how about.. https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/material-dispenser-accessories/5057540/

Typically these things are based around a fairly standard looking syringe body, syringes aren't exactly unqique and "gun" style holders are used by anyone from dentists to farmers dosing their sheep with Wormer.. maybe one of those might suit?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 07:13:18 pm by SMTech »

The following users thanked this post: nardev

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 07:16:13 pm »
I'm sure someone send Dave one in his mailbag once, dunno if it came from SA tho'. However there are quite a few powered handhelds around (kits if you are lucky) or the Chinese pneumatic ones on eBay.

Or how about.. https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/material-dispenser-accessories/5057540/

Typically these things are based around a fairly standard looking syringe body, syringes aren't exactly unqique and "gun" style holders are used by anyone from dentists to farmers dosing their sheep with Wormer.. maybe one of those might suit?

Ah, that shape doesn't provide enough control, not nice hand position. Seems like the MD100 is much easier to control.

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 09:55:45 pm »
I think I have seen the file to print this out, on a 3D printer. I don't have a 3D printer, so I don't remember the name of that famous site that has all the open source 3D projects; sorry.

I have also seen several that are run off of a tiny electric motor. These were not particularly inexpensive. I was researching building my own, so I could see some problems, with these designs. These are advertised on YouTube. Search "DIY Solder Paste Dispenser." I am pretty sure that I saw the motor mount adapter, for the syringe, on the 3D printing site, as well.

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 10:06:48 pm »
Also search for "glue dispenser."

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 10:15:54 pm »
See page 2, for hand actuated types.

https://www.yeggi.com/q/solder+paste/

If you don't have a 3D printer, see if there is a local MakerSpace club, in your area. They usually have one.

Offline diyaudio

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 08:33:52 am »
There is several options out there for Solder Paste dispensing but it's mostly complex and expensive. By looking around i noticed one from South Africa, exactly my style. Simple construction and it looks like it can be easy+fast to use.

However, no shipping outside of South Africa and they don't even reply on my emails.

So, have you seen anything alike, without electric motor or a pump, simple to use and not so expensive? Please share or even better, if you are from South Africa, would you be so kind to buy/forward one for me?

Thnx

Interesting, I will check locally here and see whats the deal, its R300 looks like a rather handy so tired of messy paste overflowing everywhere.   

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 08:36:13 am »
Man, if there is any chance to get that for me.. i would be thankful.. i hope paypal payment would work? Or let me buy something for you of same price?

Offline diyaudio

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 10:14:45 am »
Man, if there is any chance to get that for me.. i would be thankful.. i hope paypal payment would work? Or let me buy something for you of same price?

;) let me see whats the deal locally, South Africa generally have poor email etiquette, never respond on time or at all with email.  :palm:

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2018, 05:31:46 pm »
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/tool/solder-paste-and-flux-dispenser

You said that you did not think you would like the pistol style. But, I thought I would try and build one, because I have all the parts, including the syringe adapter.

The syringe adapter is left over from an ongoing motorized version build. Search Ebay, for this type kit. Better prices are available, than this one example.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Liquid-Dispenser-Solder-Paste-Adhesive-Glue-Syringe-Dispensing-Needle/331804757333?epid=563765118&hash=item4d411acd55:rk:24:pf:0

Look closely at the clamp pads, on the Russian bar clamp. This clamp pushes the bar, to close the clamp. The ones from Harbor Freight, what I have on hand, pull the bar, to close the clamp. So, I needed to reverse the bar's direction.
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-ratcheting-bar-clampspreader-68974.html

I got close enough, to see that it can be done and without too much aggravation, before I ran out of steam. The forward lever and the anti-reverse latch are easily reconfigured. The trigger needs to have its axle relocated and a lobe added, to push the forward lever, through the lobe's movement arch. Getting the axle/fulcrum point placement correct and adding the lobe is where I pooped out. I'm sorry, but I don't have a camera, to make pictures.

Not to scale, but you get the point...

Offline JVR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 09:40:17 am »
Magnum makes quality soldering hardware, but they are not very good at export. I'll probably figure this out when my two stations will need new tips. If you want their kit internationally shipped, speak to www.mantech.co.za they will do intl shipping. Payment will be another issue to sort out though.

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 11:38:34 am »
Magnum makes quality soldering hardware, but they are not very good at export. I'll probably figure this out when my two stations will need new tips. If you want their kit internationally shipped, speak to www.mantech.co.za they will do intl shipping. Payment will be another issue to sort out though.

Nice to hear someone from EU havine experience with South African company : ) thx.

Offline NickZA

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 12:54:24 pm »

Thnx

Hi

I have one of these dispensers, and to be honest, it's not that great. It does work, but it has a few problems, firstly, the plunger that presses down on the plug in the syringe only presses down on the middle of the plug, and as a result, the flux part of the solder paste seems to leak out past the plug. the result of this is that the paste becomes thicker and thicker the more you use it, to the point where it is impossible to dispense the paste out of the needle any more. Due to this, it means you have to squeeze the handle hard and harder, and because the whole thing is made of mild steel, the ratchet mechanism that advances the plunge quickly started to wear out.

The other major drawback with this is that once you have squeezed the handle hard enough to start dispensing solder paste, you have built up a pressure that is not easy to release, and the solder paste just keeps flowing. This is fine if you are doing lots of consecutive dots, because if you are quick enough (and you do need to be really quick), you can place the next dot before too much paste squeezes out, but it's very difficult to control.

I am now looking at getting a air operated unit that has the adjustable vacuum suck back to allow better control of the dispense volume.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Nick

Offline SMTech

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2018, 01:23:13 pm »

The other major drawback with this is that once you have squeezed the handle hard enough to start dispensing solder paste, you have built up a pressure that is not easy to release, and the solder paste just keeps flowing. This is fine if you are doing lots of consecutive dots, because if you are quick enough (and you do need to be really quick), you can place the next dot before too much paste squeezes out, but it's very difficult to control.

This bit at least shouldn't surprise anyone who has ever done any DIY requiring a silicon gun...
Super basic air based models have the same issue (air is highly compressible which builds in some latency) which is why the dispense heads on pick and place machines that work this way are usually for glue or adding additional solder, not printing. However certainly good enough for anything any sane person would be trying to do by hand but you really can't beat a stencil.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 02:05:28 pm by SMTech »

Offline sstepane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2018, 01:47:04 pm »
I believe it's called "positive" pressure. It's just the same as with well known chinese dispensers available everywhere. EFD hand dispensers have negative pressure, they're full metal and very well made, sleek design, but have some drawbacks. 1 - veeery expensive, 2 - short rod (have to use some additional in-syringe piece of plastic or whatever comes to mind/hand), 3 - hardly available new/used for some reasonable price. If it would cost like 50$ - I would buy another one for sure.
If magnum md100 to be available somewhere like aliexpress - would try it also, but that hassle with payment/shipment. After 3 emails they stopped responding. I could understand - why bother for 20 usd...

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2018, 09:28:54 am »
I checked the link from @NickZA

Looks like it's possible to get it but at the end it costs around 60-80 EURO

So.. i would love to see somebody sing it, some kind of a review before i throw that money...

Offline icpart

• Regular Contributor

Offline nisma

• Regular Contributor

Offline icpart

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2019, 02:41:15 pm »

Hi guys. JBC made the syringe manual dispenser. https://www.jbctools.com/dpm-a-hand-solder-paste-dispenser-product-1709.html
It is not cheap, around 40EUR without VAT. The possible buy it is direct from JBC store but they want to have registered VAT number for orders from them(which I don't have). Another possible solutions is to buy also from Germany here https://esd.equipment/en/jbc-dpm-a.html but to oder from them you must made minimum oder of 120EUR. Last option it is from UK from here https://kaisertech.co.uk/jbc-dpm-a-solder-paste-hand-dispenser which is best option so far for individual orders.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 04:35:54 pm by icpart »

Offline spongle

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2019, 07:33:52 pm »
stencils are so cheap these day I don't know why you'd want to dick around with dispensing.

Offline icpart

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2019, 01:35:51 pm »
For prototypes like 3-5 boards stencil is not very good option or small proto boards with few components. Also the cost like in JLPCB the stencill is cheap 7$ but the shipping cost is more 20$ because it is heavy item. I think for proto maybe the better choice will be the kapton stencil. Also if you use new SMT service in JLPCB you will need to solder some additional component by hand if you use components not sourced from them.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 01:47:12 pm by icpart »

Offline spongle

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2019, 02:50:58 pm »
If you have JLC trim the stencil to 150x150mm (free), then it will ship for free with your PCBs.

When it's that cheap, there is zero reason not to do it properly with a stainless steel stencil even for a single prototype.

The following users thanked this post: icpart

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2019, 01:09:28 pm »
stencils are so cheap these day I don't know why you'd want to dick around with dispensing.

This is also true, but this is great for rework or for example, if you have partial PCBa, and you do by hand some components/modules that you can't ship to manufacturer nor you can't use stencil in those cases.

Example, i usually get ESP-12 modules my self and let a company in china to PCBa all those 0402 0603 parts with some other chips. So i do by hand the esp-12 soldering. Much cheaper, save on shipping, avoid high customs etc..

Because of that i'm considering buying such thing. Though i haven't find anything with reasonable price or with shipping to Bosnia.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf