Author Topic: Source for small "potting boxes"??.....  (Read 775 times)

Offline SmokeyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
Source for small "potting boxes"??.....
« on: April 24, 2024, 11:04:30 pm »
I'm looking for a good source of small potting boxes.  The kind you put your PCB in and then fill with epoxy to act as both a weather seal and a housing. 
Requirements include some sort of mounting tab to screw the thing down.

Here is an example of the configuration I'm looking for at the moment:

I would think someone would have that off the shelf.  I don't really want to have that custom made right now.
Thoughts?

The following users thanked this post: rsaxvc, Aspartame

Online floobydust

• Super Contributor
Re: Source for small "potting boxes"??.....
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2024, 12:06:29 am »
Hammond Plastic Potting Boxes 1596 Series
OT I don't know what mould release to use for silicone, if that's the potting compound.

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2024, 12:09:46 am »
It will probably be epoxy. No release.  The potting box becomes the outside of the thing.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2024, 12:13:32 am »
Searching for potting module case or similar.

They call it "CBB61" which looks like its used for motor capacitors as well, various products.
Can always try to work back from the end product and ask the manufacturer if they are willing to share who they buy the cases from. Depending on how friendly they are.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Online floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2024, 12:23:40 am »
"CBB61" is chinese regulatory code for a type of film capacitors used in motor start and run. Should be a plastic cylinder?
PS Caution going to the only site explaining CBBxx codes, it has malware.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2024, 12:28:59 am »
"CBB61" is chinese regulatory code for a type of film capacitors used in motor start and run. Should be a plastic cylinder?
PS Caution going to the only site explaining CBBxx codes, it has malware.

Yeah maybe that is some other classification, or maybe that is what is potted inside, this is the type: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805487741980.html
Most are "single ear" or less though.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2024, 12:35:03 am »
I think this guy is the winner:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Negative-ion-Generator-Modules-Plastic-Housing_1601044289977.html

The pricing is a little screwy though.  At $0.15 each, and 1000MOQ, that's $150 worth of product.  But they also list $3404.15 for shipping!?

Note:  Looks like they have their own store:
https://nblebright.com/collections/x2-cbb61-capacitor-plastic-box
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 12:44:08 am by Smokey »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2024, 08:42:57 pm »
Why not order from a reputable vendor like DigiKey? “Box, potting” is a type of box you can filter for in the Boxes product subcategory.

https://www.digikey.com/short/8ttbh7jt

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2024, 01:34:01 am »
Why not order from a reputable vendor like DigiKey? “Box, potting” is a type of box you can filter for in the Boxes product subcategory.

I would actually very much prefer to order from a "reputable distributor".  That is always my first choose. While I appreciate the link to a digikey category, if you had gone to that link you would see that the box configuration I need isn't available.  And while there are a bunch of pages of products, once you get past the first pages the boxes cost like $10+ each.  If I wanted to spend that much money I'd have something custom injection moulded.
This is compared to a random Chinese seller, but with the thing I actually need and a cost of $0.12. 

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2024, 02:14:19 am »

I would actually very much prefer to order from a "reputable distributor".  That is always my first choose. While I appreciate the link to a digikey category, if you had gone to that link you would see that the box configuration I need isn't available.  And while there are a bunch of pages of products, once you get past the first pages the boxes cost like $10+ each.  If I wanted to spend that much money I'd have something custom injection moulded.
This is compared to a random Chinese seller, but with the thing I actually need and a cost of $0.12.
Lose the bad attitude, dude. Newsflash, I’m not clairvoyant. I have no idea what configuration you need — you posted a screenshot with 38 different sizes.

Meanwhile, your original post made it clear you hadn’t even looked at regular sources, since you didn’t even seem to know if the boxes existed as a standard product, something a cursory google search would have shown.

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2024, 05:06:01 am »

Lose the bad attitude, dude. Newsflash, I’m not clairvoyant. I have no idea what configuration you need — you posted a screenshot with 38 different sizes.

Meanwhile, your original post made it clear you hadn’t even looked at regular sources, since you didn’t even seem to know if the boxes existed as a standard product, something a cursory google search would have shown.

Hah.  All good.  I can't be in a bad mood in a world where I finally know where to buy "Negative Ion Generator Modules".

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf