Author Topic: Stainless steel scouring pad vs brass wool for solder tip cleaning?  (Read 4411 times)

Offline FaringdonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Hi,
Which is best for cleaning solder off  solder iron tips....
1...Brass wool at £5 each
https://uk.farnell.com/pace/1129-0018-p1/brass-wool-replacement/dp/1660854?st=wire%20wool%20solder%20cleaner
OR
2....Sainsburys stainless steel scouring pads at 37p each
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/rubber-gloves-cloths-sponges/sainsburys-stainless-steel-scourers-x3

The steel is harder, and the brass is said to be "low abrasive"...but they are in thin shreds, so does it matter?
'Perfection' is the enemy of 'perfectly satisfactory'

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Stainless steel scouring pad vs brass wool for solder tip cleaning?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 02:32:14 am »
Stainless steel is harder than the iron plating on a soldering iron tip, brass is softer. Use the SS and you'll shorten the life of your bit, the brass should have negligible impact. And pick a better supplier, a pack of 10 replacement brass wools from Thermaltronics is under £10.

"but they are in thin shreds, so does it matter?" - Do you not agree that the particles of silicon carbide on sandpaper are tiny in comparison to those "thin shreds" and yet they could hardly be described as non-abrasive because of their size.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M, MK14, Faringdon

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 04:21:07 am »
Damp sponge is my favorite.

The following users thanked this post: MK14, Faringdon

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 10:52:50 am »
Steel scourers are also often impregnated with detergents which can cause further corrosion.

Pay extra for proper brass wool, rather than trying to cheap out, which will cost more in the long term.

I agree with the previous comment about using a damp sponge. Make sure it's a cellulose sponge. Plastic sponges melt, releasing toxic fumes.

The following users thanked this post: MK14, Faringdon

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 10:35:44 pm »

That leads to question from me :)

A damp sponge is going to briefly shock the tip and bring its temperature down, which should kick in the heater. That's somewhat different to just wiping the tip on some brass, so I wonder if it is good or bad for longevity and/or soldering.

The following users thanked this post: Faringdon

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 10:58:48 pm »
A damp sponge is going to briefly shock the tip and bring its temperature down, which should kick in the heater.
not a problem if your iron aint temperature controlled,maybe that's why my  antex has lasted so long

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 11:21:45 pm »
Well, I'm wondering if that will result in a hotter iron since there will be some hysteresis and it will zip up the the upper limit. Conversely, the non-shocked one might be just above the lower trip point, so cooler.

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2022, 12:14:28 am »

That leads to question from me :)

A damp sponge is going to briefly shock the tip and bring its temperature down, which should kick in the heater. That's somewhat different to just wiping the tip on some brass, so I wonder if it is good or bad for longevity and/or soldering.

I doubt a few 0.1s wipes on damp sponge causes much temperature change. I bet 3s of soldering a gnd plane has a bigger effect but that's what they're made for so I think it's fine.

At home, I've used 1 and only 1 tip since 2006.  I don't use it often but I have used it enough to wear out a sponge or two and I run it hot (650-750) with lead free.  The tip still looks new.

At work, I used to do lots of soldering in a strict avionics company.  We were free to choose between brass wool or sponges. I tried brass wool multiple times because wetting the sponge is a tiny inconvience. Never liked it.  I also tested about 10 irons monthly.  When they failed, usually because there was ?flux? burnt on, I'd apply solder to tip then wipe on sponge and repeat until it passed.  I don't recall brass wool ever removing burnt on ?flux? like that.

Note, the '?'s around flux are because I assume the char that accumulates on the tip is from flux but I'm not really sure.

The following users thanked this post: PlainName, Faringdon

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2022, 01:05:17 am »

I like copper wool...  even softer than brass, and does a great job.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2022, 03:07:32 am »
The proper brass wool from soldering equipment manufacturers may have flux added which helps. Kimwipes additionally can be used and won't thermally shock the tip.

If you do use a sponge use only a little distilled water so it's just moist. Tap water or a dirty sponge can slowly increase the surface oxidization and if you aren't retinning the entire work surface of the tip regularly it may decrease wettability. When this starts to happen it can be prevented getting worse by using the brass wool.

The other problem that arises when you clean a tip (or recently cleaned) is leaving it powered on for extended periods with no solder. This can also oxidize the tip and bake on flux residue. So when not soldering or done for the day clean the tip and generously apply fresh solder directly over the entire tinned working area. To resume soldering clean it.

I use brass wool and the Pace fiber cleaning tool (1100-0232-P1). It's about $20 with two refills costing around $14 (1127-0013-P2). They last a long time and can clean tips very effectively, especially large and odd shaped tips and tweezers.

The video below shows it in use at 3m50s.

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

The following users thanked this post: PlainName, SilverSolder, Faringdon

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2022, 10:00:56 am »
Gosh, who'd think it would be such a palaver to dab a bit of solder about  8)

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2022, 10:19:14 am »
There have been threads about this before.

In the past, I've always used a damp sponge. I used to think brass wool to be too abrasive and would result in excessive tip wear. Now I use both.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2022, 10:23:51 am »
Yeah, I have both on the bench but only use the brass - keeping the spare water from going green was too much trouble :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf