Author Topic: Standard PCB panel sizes?  (Read 31442 times)

Offline mobbarleyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Standard PCB panel sizes?
« on: June 29, 2011, 07:27:13 am »
Is there such a thing?

I want to design a fairly large PCB (~30cm on long side) and would like to choose the exact dimensions to optimise the fit for panelisation. I asked gold phoenix and their only response was that they charge per 100/155 Inch Sq. Not very helpful.

Olimex quotes:
Double sided panel sizes: DSS 160x100 mm(6.3 x 3.9"), DSQ 320x200 mm (12.6 x 7.8")

Obviously there will be an unusable edge area, and there will need to be enough spacing between boards for scoring / routing. Are there any other important considerations?

Offline RayJones

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal Website
Re: Standard PCB panel sizes?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 08:11:16 am »
18" x 12" is one standard size of material.

You will however need to allow for a margin about the outer edge for automation processes. This brings the usable size of such a panel to something like 16.6" x 10.6"

There are also larger panels available.

Offline thmjpr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 08:14:46 am »
I tried looking at suppliers but didn't really find much info other than they have large sheets (~1m*1m).
Maybe it doesn't matter and they chop to size.

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/500.html perhaps

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 08:29:51 am »
I guess I just need to find better PCB suppliers who are happy to talk about their capabilities rather than just do 'internet specials' with fixed requirements.

Offline RayJones

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 09:02:45 am »
In terms of "panels" we have made extensive use of BEC manufacturing that were originally based in SE Queensland, but now the boards are produced in China.
http://becman.com.au/index.asp?id=89 details the panel sizes they deal with.

Nevertheless you can still supply them with a design that holds whatever you desire with the panel size constraints, it does not need to be the same PCB on the job lot.

We generally leave 100thou between boards for milling purposes.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 02:29:25 pm »
If it will be a SMD assembly you also need to check what panel size your assembler is happiest with.
Biggest is not always optimal - it also depends on component quantities to some extent, i.e. if there are lots of parts, the panel-change time is a smaller proportion of overall build time, and there may be yield issues as you get closer to the maximum size of oven,conveyers etc. as well as issues due to warping and placement accuracy over large areas.
IME 400x350mm is a typical maximum size for smaller assembly places, but they tend to spec slightly smaller panels for panels containing lots of small boards.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 02:11:35 pm »
Good points! I do plan to get my boards assembled for me soon, I didn't think to check the assembler's capabilities as well  :o

thanks for the tips

Offline monpjc

• Contributor
    • monpjc
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 07:43:36 pm »
Always ask your board assembler to talk to your PCB maker if you can. Panel size is limited to what the assembler has - SMD machine and Paste Printer limit the sizes. You will also find most like a 10mm border.

As commented above, whats on the board will effect size. Most small SMD will not effect it, however if the board is going to have through hole parts that are heavy then you have to consider if the board will sag going though wave soldering for example.

Also consider your batch size - no point having 50up if you don't want to populate that many. Its worth starting the talk with the PCB assembler then taking your requirements to the PCB maker.

Then as I said, get them to send direct XY step data to your assembler - you paying them both to make boards, make them agree on requirements.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf