Author Topic: Temporarily holding things in place while soldering  (Read 1852 times)

Offline e100Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Temporarily holding things in place while soldering
« on: September 20, 2021, 10:04:08 am »
Is there something like Blu Tack or plasticine, but doesn't leave an oily residue behind?

Today I had to solder a tiny wire to the side of a surface mount component which was no fun at all. In hindsight what I needed was some kind of moldable third hand tool which I could just stick on the board so it moved with the board rather then being anchored to the table.

Offline m98

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Temporarily holding things in place while soldering
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 11:28:17 am »
I just use masking tape for that.

Offline kosine

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 11:33:58 am »
I tend to use Blu Tack because it's quick and easy, but it's not always very robust. Anything similar is going to have plasticers in it, either oil-based or something like glycerin. A spot of silicone sealant might be an alternative, though it could be harder to remove without damaging your delicate work. (Maybe gently heating with hot air would help.)

I sometime use tape as well, and find good quality paper masking tape works better than PVC tapes as it contours more easily.

For a firmer support you could try polycaprolactone, which is widely available on ebay as a modeling material. (Try searching for "morphplast", "plastimorph", "polymorph" etc.) It melts in hot water or with hot air and can be easily moulded into complex shapes, then it sets hard in a couple of minutes. (Also easy to file for finishing touches, and fully reusable.) It's not sticky so needs to be taped down, but you can quickly form custom jigs with it for holding awkward items.

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 05:42:55 pm »
Depending on how far it is from the board edge, you could use a C clamp.  Or a tiny spot of acrylic cement.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 07:20:09 pm »
Is there something like Blu Tack or plasticine, but doesn't leave an oily residue behind?
Rodico. Used by watchmakers for the specific purpose of absorbing oily residue, not leaving it behind.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/rodico

The following users thanked this post: Kean, Dubbie

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 06:42:20 pm »
This is rarely worth the effort but if Im really struggling, I use a bit of kapton tape, or painters tape if I'm too lazy to dig out the kapton.

Usually I rest my hand on or near the board while holding the wire against the joint.  Tinning the wire helps, as does flux.  Sometimes it helps to bend the wire slightly to use it as a spring.  When you push it into the joint, you are bending (loading) the spring.  That helps hold it in place even when your hand moves a bit.

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 07:03:43 pm »
Depending on the situation, I use a 3rd hand made from Loc-line (or copy), tape (even Kapton), and old fashioned spring clothespins.  The latter are particularly helpful for soldering wires to pinheaders.  I just grooved the face and can position 3 wires and solder them at a time.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 08:11:47 pm »
Just tin the component and wire and try to get a little extra blob on one of them.  Hold them together, touch with soldering iron, done!
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf