Author Topic: through hole component lead forming handbook/guide/text?  (Read 2041 times)

Offline coppercone2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • $
through hole component lead forming handbook/guide/text?
« on: November 16, 2023, 10:56:07 pm »
I got a nice lead fformer/cutter that puts a P shape bend on a component. I bought the pace lead bender too, which has a little gimmick on it for bending some hooks and whatnot, but its kinda shitty.. I like it as a 'caliper' but the plastic 'bending bumps' are kinda crappy for the strain relief bends, the indent pliers are way less finicky for this part, but the pace tool is good for getting arbitrary 90 degree bends that are not in the standard stepped bender fixtures. It is however more customizable, but after playing with it, I would rather build a fixture with pins or something, then mess with the doodad they put on the end of the caliper. Good for light use I guess.

I wanted to know if there are some texts about this. I know the NASA guide. But I was hoping for some thing more.

to be more specific like how much the P bend helps, depth of bends, etc, fancier bends?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 05:14:00 am by coppercone2 »

Offline IconicPCB

• Super Contributor
Re: through hole component lead forming handbook/guide/text?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 08:53:53 pm »
Try GPD ( General Production Devices ) out of colorado. Yhey have a range of mil spec component lead processing equipment.
They may be able to help You.

Offline coppercone2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • $
Re: through hole component lead forming handbook/guide/text?
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2023, 10:03:27 pm »
Ah I was just looking to learn about making the bends with hand tools and if there is advanced techniques, not starting a production line.

Like you can do a P bend. But I bet someone figured some thing else you could bend out of wire then just a P, that behaves differently.
but maybe they have sales literature about how bending improves reliability with some graphs or figures or something other then just recommendations to do it

cuz its kinda just like 'take my advice'
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 10:05:05 pm by coppercone2 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf