Electronics > Manufacturing & Assembly

Toaster oven reflow power

(1/4) > >>

davegravy:
I picked up an old Black and Decker toaster oven and like I've seen done a bunch on YouTube, am trying to use it for reflow.

I'm trying to achieve the profile of my solder paste which is here:
http://www.chipquik.com/datasheets/SMD291AX.pdf

I'm practicing with just a thermocouple in the oven for now. The profile expects the temperature to rise from 300F to 455F in 1min30s however the fastest this oven can seemingly do it is 2min. Is this a big problem?

It also takes well over 30s to get from room temperature to 200F, I'm guessing that's less important however.

geggi1:
I would do at least one of two things.
1. Check that the heating element is working correctly with the correct wattage by checking the resistance and supply voltage.
2. if the unit got a glass door I would insulate the door.

Peabody:
If the heating elements are wire, that may be the best you can do.  Response will be slow in both directions.  I think the preferred oven would have ceramic elements, which turn fully on and off very quickly.

jmelson:
Put the thermocouple on a board, in air it doesn't register the same at all.  The thermocouple will read very low while the boards LITERALLY catch fire!  Don't ask how I know this.

I use a ramp and soak temp controller and an SSR that controls the heating element, so I can program the temp profile, and poke a micro-size thermocouple through a plated through hole in the board.  I have done over 2000 board with this setup.
Jon

davegravy:

--- Quote from: Peabody on January 14, 2022, 03:59:52 pm ---If the heating elements are wire, that may be the best you can do.  Response will be slow in both directions.  I think the preferred oven would have ceramic elements, which turn fully on and off very quickly.

--- End quote ---

They are ceramic it looks like. White tubular elements.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version