Author Topic: UKCA mark - CE marking UK product post-BREXIT  (Read 9363 times)

Offline fcbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Test instrument designer/G1YWC
    • Electron Plus
Re: UKCA mark - CE marking UK product post-BREXIT
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2020, 07:34:10 pm »
No comment Olkipukki on the UK/GB+NI differences  :box:

No worries, but would suggest to start the reading of "Market Surveillance Regulation (EU) 2019/1020" if you still want to sell your CE marked products directly in EU  ::)
Do you mean this document: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/eur/2019/1020/contents

What are you hinting at that we've missed?
https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2020, 08:08:21 pm »
Accepting CE includes accepting all CE directives... i guess that would not really support the idea of the brexit.
Indeed. And a mutual trade agreement with the US will likely involve accepting FCC standards. And then there is China as well... In the end the UK is way too small to have it's own certification standards to comply with. It is way too much hassle for manufacturers. Accepting CE, FCC or any other foreign approval standard OTOH means using requirements the UK has no say over at all.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline wilhe_jo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2020, 08:27:29 pm »
I wouldn't count on that.. look at eg. Brasil. Some years ago they made a quasi new regime for type testing radio stuff.

In fact, just taking IEC (and maybe ETSI ) standards let you have acceptance from the industries. Nobody will complaing because of the new label or some stupid database...

The only ones getting hurt are small enterprises...

Offline fcbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Electron Plus
UKCA mark - CE marking UK product post-BREXIT
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2020, 12:02:10 pm »
https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

Offline SMTech

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2020, 12:12:50 pm »
So if you export something into the EU direct to its end user you might, maybe want to switch to having a distributor or use someone like Holdtech or a virtual office or if you are small just cross your fingers and hope you fall through the cracks. OTOH if you already have distribution this along with fees & taxes is yet another thing they can and probably will try and insist you take out of your margin so they can carry on as if nothing changed; fun times. And still the government tell us to "be prepared" without giving us anything concrete to prepare for. Currently you can make sure you have an EORI number keep up-to-date on rules like this and wait to see how badly they f**k the rest up.

Offline olkipukki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2020, 12:28:17 pm »
Do you mean this document: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/eur/2019/1020/contents

Good question, who knows that British GOV UK comrades uploaded there  >:D

Just use the source, English still available there  :P

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/eli/reg/2019/1020/oj

What are you hinting at that we've missed?

Responsible Person in EU for your CE-marked products, whatever it means in your context.
Don't panic, come in effect in July 2021
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 12:32:24 pm by olkipukki »

Offline fcbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2020, 01:45:57 pm »
It looks like this EU directive/rule doesn't come into force till the middle of next year - so I would expect this situation to be clarified after 31st Dec 2020...

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2020, 02:43:40 pm »
It looks like this EU directive/rule doesn't come into force till the middle of next year - so I would expect this situation to be clarified after 31st Dec 2020...

:-DD

Maybe once we get a new government.

Offline fcbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2021, 10:31:54 am »
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/placing-manufactured-goods-on-the-market-in-great-britain

TLDR: "All goods which previously required the CE marking will not need to use the UKCA marking until 1 January 2023"

The following users thanked this post: benst

Offline benst

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2022, 02:29:23 pm »
The deadline has just been extended for another 2 years:

The deadline for when businesses need to use the UKCA mark has been extended.

You can continue to use the CE marking and reversed epsilon marking on the GB market until 31 December 2024.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/placing-manufactured-goods-on-the-market-in-great-britain

Ben
I hack for work and pleasure.

Offline newto

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2022, 07:55:34 pm »
I hope they get better guidance by then...still trying to figure out if I could self declare UKCA based on the testing we did for the CE mark.

Anyone want to take bets they just cancel the whole thing and decide CE is fine?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2022, 08:05:38 pm »
I hope they get better guidance by then...still trying to figure out if I could self declare UKCA based on the testing we did for the CE mark.

Anyone want to take bets they just cancel the whole thing and decide CE is fine?
The way I read this from the link above:
If you placed products on the GB or EU markets (EU or an EEA state) before 11pm on 31 December 2020, you do not need to do anything new for these individual products.
it seems that existing products are already exempt and need no re-testing.

Given how harmonised / similar tests already are between the US and the EU, it is likely CE marking will continue to be accepted for the UK indeed.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 08:08:24 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline switchabl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2023, 10:33:25 am »
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-government-announces-extension-of-ce-mark-recognition-for-businesses

Aand now they have extended it "indefinitely". UKCA dead for all practical purposes, even if it still exists on paper.

The following users thanked this post: benst

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2023, 10:42:20 am »
Good news. Having a different mark to mean the same thing was always a pointless waste of everyone's time.

Offline pope

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2024, 03:40:17 pm »
Sorry to bring this topic back to life but does anyone know why there are still products being released with UKCA marking. I thought that CE is sufficient but I see more and more products having both markings.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2024, 04:04:46 pm »
Sorry to bring this topic back to life but does anyone know why there are still products being released with UKCA marking. I thought that CE is sufficient but I see more and more products having both markings.

Because when our hopeless government eventually whiplashes back to requiring UKCA to declare conformance with the exact same standards as CE, they won't have to further change their markings.

The following users thanked this post: pope

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2024, 04:43:00 pm »
Because when our hopeless government eventually whiplashes back to requiring UKCA to declare conformance with the exact same standards as CE
Our government would never do such a thing,when it gets reintroduced they'll make it ever so slightly different to everything else ,and it will require a different test methodology and equipment.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2024, 04:44:22 pm »
Because when our hopeless government eventually whiplashes back to requiring UKCA to declare conformance with the exact same standards as CE
Our government would never do such a thing,when it gets reintroduced they'll make it ever so slightly different to everything else ,and it will require a different test methodology and equipment.

But in the end at least the cases won't need changing.

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2024, 04:49:27 pm »
But in the end at least the cases won't need changing.
Of course it will as it will be rebranded as uk assessment of conformity  or ukac .

Offline wilhe_jo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2024, 02:57:00 pm »
it will be rebranded as uk assessment of conformity  or ukac .

You made my day :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf