Author Topic: Ultrasonic Stencil Cleaners  (Read 1009 times)

Offline RecklessTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Ultrasonic Stencil Cleaners
« on: May 07, 2021, 09:48:12 am »
We have been hand cleaning our stencils and my workers are complaining they want an ultrasonic cleaner.  The ultrasonic cleaners I have come across have been very expensive ($30k+).  I finally came across an old 1994 smartsonic formerly branson precision cleaning unit in my price range.  I have seen some units have bad transducers from other companies which cost many thousand to repair.  Smartsonic was claiming they never had a transducer fail and have been making units since early 1990s (over 1000 units in the field).  I don't know much about brands for pcb stencil cleaners.  The same company makes an alternative to alcohol for stencil cleaning, 440-R non alcoholic detergent that looks interesting to me: https://smartsonic.com/chemistry.html

If anyone has any experience, please chime in.  We are looking for the simplest machine to clean stencils thoroughly.  This is a similar machine to what we are buying:" alt="" class="bbc_img" />.  I don't have experience with ultrasonic stencil machines but have smaller versions for cleaning jewelry/watches which I never learned how to use effectively.  We are looking at old machines in order to save money as long as they still work.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Re: Ultrasonic Stencil Cleaners
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 02:15:25 pm »
I don't have experience with ultrasonic stencil machines but have smaller versions for cleaning jewelry/watches which I never learned how to use effectively.
how to use it effectively? other than the provide on/off switch and timer button? i just bought 4.5L Ultrasonic Cleaner Digital Timing Heating Jewelry Cleaner 240HTD 120W @ $75 maybe there are bigger version. never thought to try it on stencil and i dont have one to try. if it works, it works, if not then its not... 10L
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 02:29:54 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline fcb

• Super Contributor
  • Test instrument designer/G1YWC
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 03:06:45 pm »
We use a handheld ultrasonic cleaner on stencils. Works pretty well and saves having to have a large machine with all the $$$.  That said we keep an eyeout on the auctions.

Big ultrasonic machines tend to be built from lots of small transducers, so they are somewhat fixable.
https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 03:37:43 pm »

Offline fcb

• Super Contributor
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 04:03:30 pm »
https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

The following users thanked this post: Reckless

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 04:51:20 pm »
Forgive me ignorance but what is the difference?  I have a feeling its alot more than $55 amazon unit.  They look similar.  Amazon unit is 50khz and gensonic is 40khz.  I do know 40khz is the norm.  Not sure if more is better. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 05:42:22 pm by Reckless »

Offline fcb

• Super Contributor
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 06:20:41 pm »
I don't think the frequency will make much difference.

The one we have has smooth stainless steel base and you gently push it around the top of the stencil with the stencil cleaning fluid - only using a small horizontal force.  Essentially like a ouija board.

The following users thanked this post: Reckless

Offline Rat_Patrol

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 07:08:53 pm »
Every time I look at the price for framed stencil cleaners, I turn around and go back to my vat of IPA and nylon brush and keep on keeping on. Put stencil in vat, soak a few minutes, scrub with nylon brush, rinse, air dry, put back on the shelf.

I don't do super fine pitch components though, 0805 and SOIC are about as small as I get.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf