Author Topic: Via-in-pad on a flexible substrate?  (Read 566 times)

Offline angust_ukTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Via-in-pad on a flexible substrate?
« on: March 10, 2023, 12:57:46 pm »
Hi all

I am designing a flexible PCB which includes a 0.35mm pitch BGA device (https://www.ti.com/product/AFE4432). The manufacturer provides Gerbers for its evaluation board (image below) where they include vias in the pads, as otherwise clearance isn't sufficient to add traces between pads.

However I have checked with our usual PCB manufacturer and they do not support via-in-pad for flexible PCBs. Before I go and ask every PCB supplier I can Google, does anyone know if this is even possible? If not, are there any alternative options (other than not using this device)?

« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 12:59:38 pm by angust_uk »

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
Re: Via-in-pad on a flexible substrate?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 01:50:15 pm »
Given the size of the solder joints, I wouldn't even consider putting a device like this on a flexible substrate. It's just asking for joints to crack and become intermittent.

If at all possible, I'd stick with components that can accommodate a small amount of bending, ie. SOICs, or passives that are constructed with soft terminations. Not BGAs, QFNs, or similar packages that have no capacity to deform.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline angust_ukTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Via-in-pad on a flexible substrate?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 02:08:19 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure about the reliability, but sounds like I need to rethink! In this case I maybe able to include a rigid section for this part, though I do still need to find a manufacturer who is able to do via-in-pad, if it is even possible!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf