Author Topic: Wanted: Suitable controller for OpenPnP  (Read 1955 times)

Offline YellofriendTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Wanted: Suitable controller for OpenPnP
« on: November 28, 2022, 09:15:05 am »
Hi makers,

I am looking for some suggestions on a CNC controller that can be used for OpenPnP, for, well, obviously a Pick n Place machine.

I need 5 axis (X, Y, Z and 2x rotation). I am very confused about the different boards that are on the market. From initial research it looks like Smoothie is a bit slow in developing and does not run on many controllers. Marlin or Duet3 seem to be the modern options. I wonder if I can use just any (modern 32bit) controller that can handle 5 or more stepper?
--------------
TVM802C - now with OpenPnP
T962A

Offline doppelgrau

• Contributor
Re: Wanted: Suitable controller for OpenPnP
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 06:23:36 pm »
I would get one that is quite common, since then it is easier to get help if something behaves weired.
But in the end OpenPnP just sends gcode, so anything correctly parsing it should work.

https://github.com/openpnp/openpnp/wiki/Motion-Controllers

The following users thanked this post: Yellofriend

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 05:11:50 am »
I would get one that is quite common, since then it is easier to get help if something behaves weired.
But in the end OpenPnP just sends gcode, so anything correctly parsing it should work.

https://github.com/openpnp/openpnp/wiki/Motion-Controllers

Thanks. Meanwhile I got a "normal" Marlin controller with a STM32F446. Will see how that goes. Have really no experience with that type of project.
--------------
T962A

Offline doppelgrau

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2022, 07:51:49 pm »
That sounds like masochism :-)
"It's not recommended to use 3D printer firmware with OpenPnP, but if you work hard enough it can be made to work."

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 05:18:20 am »
That sounds like masochism :-)

Well, so far it does not work. But frankly, the OpenPnP community support is terrible. Asking for board suggestions gets zero replies other than "yeah, any will do". Not too helpful.

Smoothie site is also rather poorly maintained with many dead links and outdated information, other than "don't buy from China", but info where to buy now.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 05:23:33 am by Yellofriend »
--------------
T962A

Offline doppelgrau

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2022, 07:40:28 pm »
Where did you ask? The discord or the mailinglist?
While I was a bit more active (author of the HeapFeeder), the discord was nice for some discussions, but the mailinglist had the most reach.

On the other hand, you are complaining that people in their free time are not supporting you enough, even they had written a whole wikipage dedicated to that topic (and you choose to pick one of the "not recommend" options).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 07:43:26 pm by doppelgrau »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2022, 08:20:16 am »
Where did you ask? The discord or the mailinglist?
While I was a bit more active (author of the HeapFeeder), the discord was nice for some discussions, but the mailinglist had the most reach.

On the other hand, you are complaining that people in their free time are not supporting you enough, even they had written a whole wikipage dedicated to that topic (and you choose to pick one of the "not recommend" options).

Many things are not recommended, I was interested in what is recommended. And those options are either not available, or priced out of range. I understand they like to push their Smoothieboard, that is fine, but then it should be available, and it's not. In short, an up to date list of models would be a good idea,

And for the support, we are all active in many groups and reply other people questions in our free time. I have no complain about that.

Anyway, seems my board has some type of fault that I can't fix without manufacturers support - and their support sux quite badly. I know, those China stuff and that I should have known better .... ;-) 

Anyway, hope that one day in 2022 I will get my Marlin board working and then go from their.

--------------
T962A

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf