Author Topic: What is the real pitch of JST-XH?  (Read 17932 times)

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: What is the real pitch of JST-XH?
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2023, 05:27:27 pm »
I have various genuine and clone XH, it’s all 2.50mm. I’m unconvinced that 2.54mm XH clones actually exist. There’s no sense in inventing such a thing.

It’s easy to test: insert an 8-pin or longer into standard 2.54mm perfboard. You’ll see the error accumulate the farther you get from the center. On typical perfboard hole sizes, you can get up to a 10-12 pin 2.50mm connector to fit.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2023, 05:29:08 pm »
Also, FYI it’s easy and inexpensive to order from JST directly. I’ve been meaning to put together an order. (Only issue right now is huge lead times on many items.)

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2023, 11:08:48 pm »
I have various genuine and clone XH, it’s all 2.50mm. I’m unconvinced that 2.54mm XH clones actually exist. There’s no sense in inventing such a thing.

It’s easy to test: insert an 8-pin or longer into standard 2.54mm perfboard. You’ll see the error accumulate the farther you get from the center. On typical perfboard hole sizes, you can get up to a 10-12 pin 2.50mm connector to fit.

As I stated above, I have 7 pin 2.54mm XH clones, in blue.
I'll take some photos later.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2023, 02:31:29 am »
The white JST will slightly bind when inserted into a protoboard. Whereas the blue will not.

The measurements worked out to something like 2.49-2.50mm for the white JST, and 2.526 or so for the blue. So not quite 2.54mm, but probably intentionally wider?
I'd have to get one with more pins for a better measurement, as the pins flex a bit inwards from the caliper force.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2023, 11:35:20 am »
I'd have to get one with more pins for a better measurement, as the pins flex a bit inwards from the caliper force.

I have various bags of JST XH that came directly from JST Australia (via an old client)
I grabbed a pack of 12 way "B12B-XH-A (LF)(SN)" and measured a few with some Mitutoyo digital calipers - outsides of pin to pin 28.33, 28.28, 28.31, 28.27 - lets say 28.3mm.

Pin thickness is 0.62mm (measured 0.61-0.63), so (28.3mm - 0.62mm) / 11 = 2.516mm pitch  |O

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline NorthGuy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2023, 02:48:38 pm »
I have various bags of JST XH that came directly from JST Australia (via an old client)

Looking on the picture, you may be measuring at a slight angle, although it is hard to see.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2023, 03:22:35 pm »
Looking on the picture, you may be measuring at a slight angle, although it is hard to see.

Yeah, it does look like that in the "staged" photo.  I was pretty careful and did the measurement multiple times across several parts, and also across different pin counts.

I couldn't be bothered to try find a micrometer for an extra digit (same as thm_w) as the flex on the pins and general tolerances really don't warrant it, but I did go down to the workshop to get my better calipers.

Anyway, it is fair to say the nominal pitch is 2.5mm (as per the JST XH datasheet) and definitely not 2.54mm.  The datasheet explicitly says "Tolerances are non-cumulative +/-0.05mm for all centers".  My result is within that tolerance... I was just kinda hoping for it to be exact :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf