Author Topic: Will Right angled header and socket hold PCB vertically?  (Read 1218 times)

Offline FaringdonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
'Perfection' is the enemy of 'perfectly satisfactory'

Offline david77

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Will Right angled header and socket hold PCB vertically?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 09:54:18 am »
I wouldn't rely solely on the header to hold that board. It's probably a good idea to add some form of mechanical support.

The following users thanked this post: Faringdon

Offline SMTech

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 10:03:51 am »
I wouldn't rely solely on the header to hold that board. It's probably a good idea to add some form of mechanical support.
Amen

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 10:27:27 am »
Not in a million years.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 03:25:25 pm »
Thanks, what about three of the  right angled headers...two others at each end going the other way?
(the reason for not using 3 was that they may not line up due to solder hole oversizing)

This is purely for  prototype...never production....i mean surely it will connect?...i can't see how there wont be a connection?

(I confess i thought someone may have chimed in and said that there would be too much "spring stress" in the mating socket housing, and there would literally be no electrical connection.?)

There is no other way to do this without enormous extra expense.
The "5 pad thing" at each end could be used with a wee piece of tinned copper wire to the main board, to add some extra  "stabilisation"?

I mean, if you look inside the socket housing, there's nothing there thats going to be warped by the downwards force?....

Inside of socket housing:
https://cdn.harwin.com/pdfs/M20-783.pdf
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 04:33:31 pm by Faringdon »

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 05:08:36 pm »
This is purely for  prototype

There is no other way to do this without enormous extra expense.

I'm deeply confused. The enormous cost of adding some support to a prototype?

The following users thanked this post: Mangozac, Faringdon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 12:32:39 am »
Thanks,  we are just womdering if the attached 72way header will be enough to support this PCB vertically?...(into the corresponding mating housing)
Whats the lowest contact number we can get away with here?.....electrically we only need some 12 contacts.

72way header
https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/products/detail/amphenol-icc-fci/77317-804-72LF/1523885?s=N4IgTCBcDaIOxwMwEY4FoAcAGALGuYANgGYgC6AvkA

72way housing (for main PCB)
https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/products/detail/sullins-connector-solutions/PPPC361LFBN-RC/810208

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2022, 12:54:13 am »
I have these little easily soldered clips that grab the edge of a PCB and can hold a PCB at a 90 degree angle, and it you get the spacing right you can set up a side oriented PCB daughter card, sure!  They come from England and are very expensive for what they are. 

Hi, may i ask if the Right angled header shown ("HEAD1") will be ok to hold this PCB vertically in place....in to a mating socket on the PCB?

Header (right angled)
https://uk.farnell.com/multicomp/mc34775/header-2-row-r-angle-20way/dp/1593454?st=pin%20header,%20board-to-board,%202.54%20mm,%202%20rows,%2018%20contacts,%20through%20hole%20right%20angle,%20mc34

PCB socket housing
https://uk.farnell.com/harwin/m20-7831046/socket-pcb-0-1-10-10way/dp/7992025?st=m20-783

ETD29 transformer:
https://www.tdk-electronics.tdk.com/inf/80/db/fer/etd_29_16_10.pdf
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2022, 07:51:04 am »
Thanks,  we are just womdering if the attached 72way header will be enough to support this PCB vertically?...(into the corresponding mating housing)
Whats the lowest contact number we can get away with here?.....electrically we only need some 12 contacts.

72way header
https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/products/detail/amphenol-icc-fci/77317-804-72LF/1523885?s=N4IgTCBcDaIOxwMwEY4FoAcAGALGuYANgGYgC6AvkA

72way housing (for main PCB)
https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/products/detail/sullins-connector-solutions/PPPC361LFBN-RC/810208

So... Let's see. Power supply manufacturers go through great lengths to secure everything on their board down to fairly small electrolytic caps with selastic or an equivalent but you want to have a heavy, large PCB flapping around in the breeze. Have you heard of shock and vibration tests? Funny thing, Dave did a video on it some time ago where a TO-220 gets knocked of the board because of it.

Support the damn PCB.

Talk to your mechanics guy. Have him integrate a support in the housing. Bolt it down. Add a support rail. Whatever.

Want to know "what you can get away with"  :palm:? Book some time with a shock/vibration tables and test a few options.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2022, 09:53:36 am »
Thanks yes, when ive taken psu's apart, i find they are often directly soldered, or use smaller daugher boards...but this is only prototype...just has to work, doesnt matter how.

I may footprint a 72 way, but just  use three 12 ways at end , middle and other end, say...and to be sure, i will solder the three sockets in with the header(s) already in them...to get round solder hole size tolerance problems.
What do you think?
Sorry but i dont have time on this prototype for proper fixation.

Also, please may i ask, can anyone think of better headers/sockets for this? (more stable, easier to dis-insert etc)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 09:59:12 am by Faringdon »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2022, 03:06:35 pm »
DIN 41612 or whatever its IEC or ISO successor is called? But why not ignore the connector and instead use simple screw-mount board guides??

Also, am I the only one to notice the janky PCB layout? The traces remind me of the Flintstones logo. Unnecessary bends everywhere, vias to nowhere, and an MS Paint aesthetic to some component silkscreens.

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2022, 03:45:46 pm »
I'd say figure out a way to put the transformer on the main pcb (and maybe the primary to-220 mosfet/transistor) and everything else on the vertical board.
I also have to say the layout on that circuit board is atrocious.

At the very least, you need to add right angle headers on the edges as well, but I'd still be concerned the vibrations from the transformer and other things could cause solder cracks over time.  Not to mention risk of pcb breaking in case the unit takes some fall damage. You have heavy stuff unsecured..

The following users thanked this post: tooki, Faringdon

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf