Electronics > Manufacturing & Assembly

Wiring diagram drawing software for ~3kW Power electronics switching units

(1/2) > >>

Faringdon:
Hi,
We have to do wiring diagrams for ~3kW power electronics switching units with sometimes power control units on them.
Eg relays, DIN rail mounted stuff, RCD's circuit breakers, fuses, Looms, etc

Power electronics etc.

Which is the easiest to learn and use for this?
Also, free of charge hopefully

Is there a difference in the way you woudl do it for....
1.....Production workers to use as construction diagrams
2.....Diagrams to be prepared for possible  buyers of the company and its products.
3.....Professionals to do fault finding from.

...i would have thought the above three cases require different types of wiring diagrams?

For production staff, i think a professional wiring diagram would be a hindrance?

Surely a simple diagram with plenty of pictures, or even assembly videos would be best for a production  worker?

Lets face it, if a production worker can understand a professional wiring diagram, then they would go off and work as a wiring diagram drawer instead?

janoc:

--- Quote from: Faringdon on July 30, 2021, 08:29:23 pm ---For production staff, i think a professional wiring diagram would be a hindrance?

Surely a simple diagram with plenty of pictures, or even assembly videos would be best for a production  worker?

Lets face it, if a production worker can understand a professional wiring diagram, then they would go off and work as a wiring diagram drawer instead?

--- End quote ---

Um, LOL.

You do realize that these things actually often need to be approved by qualified electricians/engineers, follow relevant norms/standards and any deviations could be a major legal problem in case of an accident?

I worked on a stupid simulator (i.e. nothing even touching mains or coming anywhere close to a factory floor) using a replica of a real control panel - and the pile of documentation we have got with that panel, including meticulously drawn every wire, every switch, every contact, everything using the proper DIN symbology (the contractor who made the panel was German) was crazy. And that was just a bunch of lights and switches on a panel, connected to a small PLC with a 24V power supply.

Yes, this is what they use and expect. A Youtube-style video for production workers certainly wouldn't cut it. You wouldn't expect house blueprints to be done as "a simple diagram with plenty of pictures, or even assembly videos" because if masons could "understand a professional blueprint, then they would go off and work as an architect/civil engineer instead", right?

This stuff isn't designed for PhDs but for production people. 

Seriously, I follow your posts over the years and I do wonder how the heck you can (still) have a job as a professional engineer ...

Faringdon:
Thanks, the company i work for have asked for the wiring diagram to be done in Diptrace (which as you know is a PCB layout editor).
Would you agree that this would be a mistake?
I would have thought it would need to be a proper package with the proper electrical  symbols in it?
Which is the cheapeast and easiest to use one?

janoc:
That I don't know, I probably wouldn't use Diptrace for this but some more "mechanically oriented" CAD program for this. They often have packages for drawing wiring looms, cabinets and such, with the proper symbology. In Diptrace you aren't likely to find the required symbols and would need to create everything from scratch.

E.g. AutoCAD has such package, AFAIK.

Can't really tell you more, I have always been on the receiving end of these things, not the one creating them.

Gyro:
A video of Lewden's custom panel assembly facility. Some glimpses of wiring diagrams, but the look a little light on information to me - lacking wiring colours, CSAs Ferrule diameters etc. Presumably they have experienced assemblers and a separate standard reference chart for these, which is common to all...

EDIT: Actually it might be an idea to look at subbing out the job to a company like that - do you know the IEE wiring regs?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version