Author Topic: WLSCP/BGA package mount for testing without soldering  (Read 842 times)

Offline ChrischeTopic starter

WLSCP/BGA package mount for testing without soldering
« on: June 19, 2022, 07:37:45 pm »
Hej Everyone,

I got a custom ASIC in a WLSCP package. The thing is tiny: 0.5mm pitch, 0.25mm bump diameter, with a total outline of 5.3x3.2mm.
I will receive a handful of them and would like to be able to test them on a evaluation board.
Since I do not have access to some professional solutions, i would like to get some advice on solutions, where I don't have solder the ASIC onto test board.
The best idea that I have come up with so far, is to create a custom holder, where outline of the package will just fit into.
Then i would apply some pressure from above to make contact with the PCB. Has anyone tried something like this with a bga perhaps?
I'm curious to hear any ideas of how to approach this.

Offline jeremy

• Super Contributor

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
Re: WLSCP/BGA package mount for testing without soldering
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2022, 02:05:19 am »
Check with Ironwood Electronics, they make test sockets for a wide range of parts.  But, they are NOT cheap.
Jon

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 07:37:14 am »
Before trying a custom holder, it's probably easier and cheaper to buy a used toaster oven and try that with flux, without stencil or paste.  No guarantee it'll work very long or at all but it has worked for me with a $80 board and a $25 toaster oven.

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 07:38:49 am »
Stencil and paste would be better but it sounds like you want cheap and easy, so this could be a starting point.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf