Author Topic: Fusion 360 - MECHANICAL design Tips Tweaks and discussion. (Not Eagle)  (Read 25557 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
urrgh. Frustion360 is me again; this time trying to draw the rectangle to define the inset for the panel. It'll create the workplane where it should, but instead of drawing ON THE WORKPLANE, it randomly picks some height BELOW the workplane & draws the rectangle THERE.  :wtf:

[EDIT]   Okay... I outwitted the program that is SUPPOSED to be helping me make an object.  ::)   By reorienting so that my POV is from WITHIN the body of the object, I was able to FORCE FuckWithMyHead360 to start ON the workplane.  :wtf: is the point of defining a workplane, when it is just going to start drawing wherever the fuck it feels like anyways...?  :rant:

mnem
 |O
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 03:55:35 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflyingTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
2am here so I am off to bed after a MDK GTA5 session >:D

So just coz I will provide you with a link to mine so you can try and follow along answers to questions when I wake up sometime later  ;) https://a360.co/3djfrxI
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

• Super Contributor
This isn't my original design but I took in a slightly wonky (not accurate) DXF in 2D and corrected the layout and then punched it to the third dimension  >:D If the designer is happy for me to post the file I will later on or even a batch lot of STL's for 3D printing with scraps.

I suspect the original was done in Coreldraw or Illustrator
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

• Super Contributor
urrgh. Frustion360 is me again; this time trying to draw the rectangle to define the inset for the panel. It'll create the workplane where it should, but instead of drawing ON THE WORKPLANE, it randomly picks some height BELOW the workplane & draws the rectangle THERE.  :wtf:

[EDIT]   Okay... I outwitted the program that is SUPPOSED to be helping me make an object.  ::)   By reorienting so that my POV is from WITHIN the body of the object, I was able to FORCE FuckWithMyHead360 to start ON the workplane.  :wtf: is the point of defining a workplane, when it is just going to start drawing wherever the fuck it feels like anyways...?  :rant:

mnem
 |O

If you follow the workflow on mine the main body is extruded first and then there is two consecutive sketches created using the upper and lower faces of the main body . There is no need for offset anythings or any reference to the origin just referenced to the faces. So right click the face and pick create sketch.

Stop making life harder for yourself

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor

mnem
 |O

If you follow the workflow on mine the main body is extruded first and then there is two consecutive sketches created using the upper and lower faces of the main body . There is no need for offset anythings or any reference to the origin just referenced to the faces. So right click the face and pick create sketch.

Stop making life harder for yourself (Attachment Link)

Yeah, I couldn’t figure out how to get it to show the timeline; maybe they have that disabled as the new licensing takes away “collaborative” features on the hobbyist/free version.

That is exactly how I created the main body; I got through that relatively painlessly.  :P

The problem was it being a dick with the “create sketch” function on existing surfaces. I’d click the face I wanted to draw on, click “create sketch”, and it would create the workplane right where it should.  But then when I started to plop down points to make a line or rectangle it kept selecting everywhere BUT the damned workplane and just put the damn thing wherever the fuck it felt like, usually some random depth below the workplane. |O

Between that and the way it randomly fades the quadrille away to the point you can barely see it; like I said... my balls are just achin’.

mnem
 :palm:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

• Super Contributor
I notice you seem to have the origin showing so I wonder if that was getting selected rather than the face? If another sketch is showing the create new sketch can also trigger of it rather than the face.

• Super Contributor
After only 6 1/2 days from order to delivery from China my Laser controller has arrived :-+ via a trip to the scanner for a mugshot some minor tweakage and then thanks to the power of auto updating yesterdays model now comes with more detail from the controller model.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
Joo better bring those teardown pics over to the 3DP thread, joo hoser!  :-DD

mnem
And lay offa muh chips, ehhh...?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
I notice you seem to have the origin showing so I wonder if that was getting selected rather than the face? If another sketch is showing the create new sketch can also trigger of it rather than the face.

Yeah, okay... except that is the EXPRESS PURPOSE of defining a workplane in ANY CAD program I've ever used otherwise. You do this to tell the program EXACTLY where you want to work. I think this core stupidity is also part of what is Oh, so fucked-up with the Text functions; something fundamental in the software's architecture that PREVENTS these core functions from working the way most CAD programs work. :-//

I dunno... is that the price of the otherwise easy-to-use yet powerful nature of the application...? Or is it really too much to ask that they adhere to SOME common-sense rules used by the rest of the industry...?

mnem
Nice pants.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 05:16:46 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
I just figured it out... BY ACCIDENT. There's a "3D Sketch" toggle in the Sketch palette. Of COURSE, this is toggled ON by default, AND none of the online tutorials I've seen mention the evil this one little setting commits upon an unsuspecting noob user.  :palm:

Now if I could only figure why, when I started a sketch on the front panel, did it set the effing origin 18mm above the base plane...?

I mean... I know WHY; it's because that face is angled. But  :wtf: made someone... ANYONE... think that either of these behaviors was a good idea...?  |O

mnem
grr. arrg.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
arrrgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

After finally figuring out where the tools are in the new UI to do a simple split body with 2D sketch (even the hits on the AD site show the old UI  |O) Now it's giving me the most useless error: "1 errors: split 2". Click on "More Info" it returns: "compute fail".  :palm:

WHY...? WHY...? WHAT DID I DO WRONG YOU FUCKING LITTLE BASTARD INNA BOX...?!?

mnem
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 07:18:57 pm by mnementh »

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
Hi,

Here are a few pictures and screen shots from today's project. It is replacement plate (785PL) for a mkc3-h01 tripod.

Models

I printed the part in gray PLA. The screw was made from brass.

Photographs

Regards,
Jay_Diddy_B

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, beanflying

• Super Contributor
I just figured it out... BY ACCIDENT. There's a "3D Sketch" toggle in the Sketch palette. Of COURSE, this is toggled ON by default, AND none of the online tutorials I've seen mention the evil this one little setting commits upon an unsuspecting noob user.  :palm:

Now if I could only figure why, when I started a sketch on the front panel, did it set the effing origin 18mm above the base plane...?

I mean... I know WHY; it's because that face is angled. But  :wtf: made someone... ANYONE... think that either of these behaviors was a good idea...?  |O

mnem
grr. arrg.

The 3D sketch functionality in it's current form is new (l1-2 months I think) and I haven't seen any video on it or have I looked that hard either or played with it.

Re the Origin on or off or used or not. I use it initially to set a general point in space and direction to the model then it goes off. From that point forward ALL other planes, sketches and surfaces are referenced off the model. One of the most powerful sides of Fusion is having one change upstream change the entire model because of this referencing. If you keep referring back to the origin you are referencing the beginning to my way of thinking not the timeline concept that Fusion works on.

This ramble is pre coffee and 7am so I am now returning to slumber for another hour or so  :=\

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor

It's been sectioned, all holes are "drilled" where they should be, and shockingly, no children were killed in the making thereof. The joints are all relieved by .2mm to allow for 3DP tolerances per the advice of one of the yoobtoob vids I watched; turns out it was the "thicken sketch" operation as part of the sectioning process which he recommended that was causing the unexplained error.  :-//

All that remains now is to countersink all the segment assembly screw holes holes and do fillets and I should be able to start fab; might even get something printing tonight. *knocks on wood*

mnem

• Super Contributor
And now you know more the next one will be easier  ::)

Todays Project is the mockup for yesterdays two minute teardown of my new Ruida 6445G Laser Controller  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3086264/#msg3086264

Time to start arranging the lumps and running mock wires to connect them.

Mmmm Consists of 105 bodies  :o
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 04:17:28 am by beanflying »

• Super Contributor
So I have broken Fusion or more likely it is broken  |O When I go to include the various Components into a larger layout design it breaks the Decals  :palm: :palm:

I have put a request onto the Autodesk forum but apart from removing and then reapplying the decals in the layout anyone here have a solution?

3pm I think I am calling it Scotch O'Clock......

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
Hi,
Today's project was to make some replacement clips that hold 3/8 impact sockets on a rail. Some of the original clips were broken.

Model

A small piece of the track was modelled first and the clips were modelled after that. Only the clips will be printed.

Regards,
Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
So I have broken Fusion or more likely it is broken  |O When I go to include the various Components into a larger layout design it breaks the Decals  :palm: :palm:

I have put a request onto the Autodesk forum but apart from removing and then reapplying the decals in the layout anyone here have a solution?

3pm I think I am calling it Scotch O'Clock......

So it turns out Fusion does have a Bug with Decals and inserting derived models - So Reported and in their system  :-+

HOWEVER - according to Phil @ Fusion I should be inserting 'Linked Models' not using the 'Insert Derive' in this case. Why was I not aware of this because it is not an item on the insert menu :wtf:

It is done by using their file system and right clicking and selecting 'insert into current design'. This works great if you want to insert the entire model in that link but it lacks the flexibility of the 'insert derive' where you can insert a bit from another model.

So a solution sort of and onward  |O

999829-1
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 03:01:48 am by beanflying »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
Yeah... now you're FEELING the part of my lament about "having to outwit the software that's SUPPOSED to be helping you"...  :-DD

mnem
Moose are not good at water-skiing.

• Super Contributor
Sometime later. Time to run some virtual 24V wiring to power it up ;)

1000110-0

Offline pipe2null

• Regular Contributor
So I finally broke down and installed Fusion after spending multiple days writing a new threads library for openscad from scratch.  It works well and renders much, much faster than other libraries, but it was a PIA directly calculating every point and facet in the thing to maintain standard thread profile and whatnot in order to get the perf gain...  But I digress.   I'm familiar with thingiverse for getting various stls and scad files.  I usually spin my own designs from scratch anyway, but not when I'm just getting started with a new-to-me software platform.

Any recommended sites for open source/free Fusion designs files?  Especially if the site is primarily for 3DP audience.  Thanks

• Super Contributor
There are some I have shared in the https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/3d-printer-yet/ thread but given the size of some Fusion files I have tended more toward just uploading STL's there. Some things I do are really niche so I don't share them and some of what I do is for $ and nothing to do with Electronics so they don't always get shown.

As to a larger Fusion sharing site there isn't one I am aware of and as the software is aimed at commercial use it is more likely you will only find files linked to here or there rather than a library.

Here is an early project box of mine if you want something to play with. Takes generic 7x9cm evilbay project boards and 3mm knurlnut inserts https://a360.co/2MANwxq Bound to be some things in it I would do much differently now but it prints great without supports. Take it apart and make it better  ;)

The following users thanked this post: Jay_Diddy_B, mnementh, pipe2null

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
beanflying,

Thank you for sharing your Fusion 360 file for the box.

I put the box together:

It looks like there is no gap between the lid and the body of the box?

I see you printed this, how does the lid fit?

I generated the STL file for the box and sliced it. The software estimates 3.5 hours to print the box, no lid. How long did the print take?

Regards,
Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
As the saying goes 'I like a tight Seal'  >:D It worked fine as is with my CR-10S at the time and I have done a couple of the Ender which also worked. If you are worried about it use the press/pull (Q shortcut) and push the mating face in by 0.1-0.2mm to give it some clearance. Print time sounds about right too.

This mornings tweakage and Render - should have included a Shark next to the text  ;)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 03:34:39 am by beanflying »

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
Hi,

This is my version of the 7x9 project box:

The modelling is different. This is the order of operations:

Modelled the PCB first.
Encased the board in a solid block
Applied fillets to the external corners
Used the shell command to hollow the block
Split the hollow block
Add the lip around the lid
Add mounting spacers

Still to do

Add the lid attach.

IF you change the board dimensions or move the mounting holes on the board, the enclosure will 'track'.

File attached.

Jay_Diddy_B

* 7x9 jdb v2.zip (233.83 kB - downloaded 101 times.)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 05:01:31 am by Jay_Diddy_B »

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf